Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN-5222 the dream has arrived
(26 Sep 2022, 10:45)Guinney1971 Wrote: cracking job there William, I'm sure you'll be busy fettling over the winter, then enjoying her properly next year.

Thanks Claire, till may-April I'll be getting those last bits dealt with, engine will be running perfectly by the end of October so it'll just be interior to finish and stainless work.

If the xmas meet ends up close by me again I'll bring her over though  Big Grin
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
so here's a mini winter update as a few bits have been fettled to quote Claire  Tongue ,

The weekend that followed after the NEC me and Mich decided to pull my Governor out and replace my transmission filter (hopefully deal with my jerky reverse) and have Rich Hutchinson rebuild the governor for me which was close to becoming problematic as he found when opening it up.
while the car sat with the transmission pan open to drain as much excess fluid we also adjusted my throttle cable as when pressed fully would only open half way (possibly why my car was slow setting off during test runs) now it fully contatcts the kickdown switch so hopefully should now have more oopmh.

I then delved into sorting out the various rivnuts that had snapped bolts in, so now my brake servo cover and fuel neck cover can be properly closed and secured rather than floating about. I also removed and replaced 3 rivnuts on the passenger skirt and reattached the skirt, drivers side is up next so that all the body is finally back together including refixing that top anchor bolt cover that Steve knocked into my side panel at the NEC  Big Grin event though it made for a fun game while waiting for Chris W to come round with his car.

My interior is now finally back together after a long time thanks to DMCH having a early grey deckboard carpet in stock to replace the chopped up original one, also got Dgo's cupholder for Christmas which is awesome. the missing kneepad that sits close to the centre console is now fixed back in after bending the bracket back and binnacle is properly secured with bigger washers.

Ryuko is going to Chris Nicholson's on the 20th of February to finally get the stainless repaired and regrained so she's finally taking the famous trip via transporter but I will be driving her home afterwards which will be a memorable journey.

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
You've been seriously busy chap! Lots going on there!
Great news on the governor and adjustments; the computers are a 100% failure rate without modifications.

It's now just over a year since I took mine to be rebrushed, (trying to hold my breath on the Tube on my way back home cos of Omicron Variant!). You won't regret it.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
If youre up for it once chris has finished with your car, we could do a quick meet up as i live quite close to chris. Would be great to get 5219 and 5222 next to each other.
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
(13 Jan 2023, 03:45)DMC1983 Wrote: If youre up for it once chris has finished with your car, we could do a quick meet up as i live quite close to chris. Would be great to get 5219 and 5222 next to each other.
Id be 100% up for that. Hopefully Chris gets 5222 done by that weekend as he said about a week but I'll let you know when im picking her up

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
(12 Jan 2023, 22:48)Rich Hanlon Wrote: You've been seriously busy chap! Lots going on there!
Great news on the governor and adjustments; the computers are a 100% failure rate without modifications.

It's now just over a year since I took mine to be rebrushed, (trying to hold my breath on the Tube on my way back home cos of Omicron Variant!). You won't regret it.

oh absolutely, hoping to have 5222 in a position where i can use her regularly over this year and properly join in some more events.

it'll be great to see the damage all gone at last but at the same time unusual because im so used to it being there but im excited for the day

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
Fantastic amount of work there, well done!
Phill managed to bust his knee falling on the ice before Christmas, and still cant walk, so
absolutely zero has been done here on any of the cars - although funds are in pretty short
supply too, so it's not like we can go and buy any parts anyway Sad
You have been an inspiration watching #5222 come back to life over the last 2yrs.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
(22 Jan 2023, 18:06)Guinney1971 Wrote: Fantastic amount of work there, well done!
Phill managed to bust his knee falling on the ice before Christmas, and still cant walk, so
absolutely zero has been done here on any of the cars - although funds are in pretty short
You have been an inspiration watching #5222 come back to life over the last 2yrs.

thank you Claire, its been on hell of a journey so far and now the fun can begin this year properly.

Hope Phill is recovering well and back on his feet soon Blush

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
(22 Jan 2023, 20:24)theningiachicken Wrote:
(22 Jan 2023, 18:06)Guinney1971 Wrote: Fantastic amount of work there, well done!

thank you Claire, its been on hell of a journey so far and now the fun can begin this year properly.

Hope Phill is recovering well and back on his feet soon Blush

He's getting there slowly, he fell on 18th December, and is still on crutches.  Swelling is reducing 
gradually, but it looks like he's damaged some ligaments, so its going to take some time to heal.
He can't drive or do much, and is getting very bored!  Which we all know with Phill is dangerous lol
update time again.

So 5222 is back from the stainless wizard aka Chris Nicholson and damn I never thought she could look so good, granted I have a couple of tweaks to make such as my louvres need a good refresh and my hood being higher than the fender's towards the windscreen. took him from Monday to Saturday (20th - 25th) to have the car ready.

he fitted both door seals, hood seal and the rub-strip, also got my doors to open and close pretty damn well and lined up as best he could.

the car drove pretty well 155 miles from Canvey Island to Ravenshead in the on/off rain we had without any rain leaks or major problems, only minor issues such as a dead speedo and 1 wiper arm slowly trying to deposit itself over the door. for its first time doing a pretty big run since being off the road 15/16 years, she ran very well and was quite comfy once up to around 65mph. fans kicked in when they should as we made our way through Chelmsford due to wanting to avoid the m25 as its chaos. 

now onto the last bit of the journey that nearly ended badly  Cry so after leaving the car at my dad's to cool down and have dinner, I started to make my way back home and I thought "only 15 miles we should be fine you did 155 perfectly" and I think she heard me because 10 miles out from home the transmission began to quickly upshift and downshift as if it was confused on what to be in. luckily I was only doing 30-40mph so it wouldn't have done any harm but I slowed down straight away and pulled over to check the parts of the governor to find nothing. I lightly assumed because it was a steep-ish hill that maybe either the atf wasn't being picked up or it was trying to keep the RPMs high to climb the hill.

I set off again but kept myself to the lower end of the speed limit in case it happened again, which to no surprise it did so a mile down the road so I stopped and called the RAC to come out and recover 5222 home. I quickly informed Rich Hanlon about my situation so we could think of ideas on the cause and how I could get home.

3 hours after calling the RAC they still were unsure of the arrival time so with the advice from Rich Hanlon to put the car into 2 and slowly drive home and my dad following me back to be my support car I made it home and cancelled the RAC callout.

we seem to have narrowed the issue down to my kick-down microswitch being faulty because it's very sticky so we think it engaged when it shouldn't have to cause the erratic shifting, but since the weather has produced snow I might have to wait a bit to test if running with the switch disconnected does anything or to fix my high hot idle. Undecided

but in the meantime I'm sorting my door card trim, passenger door headliner, replacing my radio and working on the heater box (again).

Attached Files Image(s)

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
Looking real good there Will! Good job Chris N too! You'd never believe that panel looked the way it did!

Your bonnet sticking up towards the windscreen is typical due to the expectancy of the owner trying to squeeze such a thick seal into a horizontal "V" where the pointy part of the "V" is at the front of the bonnet. You have a few choices to fix this.

1. Adjust the bonnet at the hinges to widen the pointy part of the "V" by stacking in filler washers or other such mechanism to basically lift the front edge of the bonnet up. Nobody does this howeverm because than your bonnet will never align with your front bumper.
2. Adjust the top edge of both wings to follow the raised profile of the bonnet. Tricky and will permanently bend and crease your wings into distortion (like mine is).
3. Rip the old fashioned original seal off the car again and replace with a nice new soft spongy modern neoprene replacement which will actually work to keep the inside of your boot dry when it rains, and will squash down much easier and therefore stop your bonnt being pushed up so high at the windscreen.

Also, your bonnet will settle down better in the warmth of the summer compared to being cold in the winter. Again, they all do this.

Example of bonnet seal (type I've used on my car, but I think I used a larger size than this which they don't seem to stock now. I would have to check to be 100%):
https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/8mm-x-6mm-...-per-metre
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
2 years of ownership have flown by and it's hard to believe where 5222 started with me to, being nearly ready for regular use, and I will say it's been another busy year since.

So I'll do a quick summary  Wink  from last time.

my seats went for re-upholstery as my original covers are a bit on the crispy side and some stitching split (still waiting for them to be done), I also refurbished the seat rails as I didn't fancy spending nearly £100 per slide and £70 for 2 release bars, mine were rusty but not beyond fixing. had all parts ultrasonic cleaned to remove all the internal paint and left everything in a big tub of rust remover for a few days. sprayed everything up in a nice satin black and they all run smoothly again.

Replaced soundproofing over transmission tunnel as the black stuff over the original foam was breaking apart, so I ordered a roll of 3Mx1M closed cell foam at 6mm thick and some 2mm thick butyl mats, so 2 layers of foam and a layer of butyl and I noticed a decent difference in the cabin less of an echo.

I delved into the VOD to replace the O-rings under the inlet manifold and to upgrade my injector seals to DPI units (they weren't cheap if you include overseas shipping and UPS extra fees  Cry ), these were done per Suggestion by Andy W and Rich Hanlon during our mini tech evening to try and fix my high idle when we found the bypassing air.

as per my last update where I was almost stranded en-route home from Chris Nicholson's from an erratic shifting problem, the kickdown switch was indeed faulting but that wasn't the actual problem  Confused the wire had melted..... twice. luckily no wires had melted together thank god. so I stripped the sheath and went a bit ott protecting each wire but hopefully, we're all okay now.

to deal with my frustration over the melted cable, I deleted the old exhaust system and replaced it with Mich's old stage 1 from his car. DMCH's pre-stainless stage 1. which to my surprise actually frustrated me more than the cable did.
the right manifold took 8hrs to install alone, had to remove the alternator and brackets, the oil filter removed and all studs out to finally get it into place. reinstalling the old studs through the manifold was a pain due to the lack of room to move, and the new stainless studs didn't even fit any of the holes.

but eventually, we got it all fitted and it looks amazing. I did briefly run the engine to make sure everything worked and to my surprise after the seal changes my rpm's were sitting below 1000  Big Grin but it did seem a little bit rough, although it could be because I'm sort of used to it being between 1100 and 2000  Huh 

Just got the newly re-foamed door cards to fit, seats and radio then we should be done with restoration then it's onto my new project that's in part linked with Vin: 3104 (the Akiba Delorean)

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
Quote:and the new stainless studs didn't even fit any of the holes
Why? out of interest
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(06 Aug 2023, 16:35)Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:and the new stainless studs didn't even fit any of the holes
Why? out of interest

not sure, just wouldnt thread into the holes as if they were "bigger" than the original

YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
great work there William, and I'm intrigued about the new project....