Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rad Fans
I know this has been brought up on the odd occasion, but I need to find out what my specific problem is.
I ventured out yesterday, on what is usually a short trip (7 miles). When I get to the multi-story carpark of the Hilton I kindly asked a closeby work contractor to press the button on the ticket machine so I could get in the car park. He says "Yeah, no problem mate. Nice car by the way, is there supposed to be steam bellowing out of the back!!!!!" Arrrrgggh. I backed my car up and turned the engine off, and looking at my temp gauge, noticed it was running at the top of the red!!!!!

The young chap kindly gave let me top my system up, after waiting 30 mins for it to cool down. I struggled to start her back up, but once running, has been fine since, except for the fact I have no fans kicking in!

Today, I checked all the fuses in my fusebox, and all were fine. I then removed the connector from the otterstat and shorted out the pins to see if the fans kicked in, and they didnt!!! So...Im now stuck, as I know very little about the wiring system for the rad fans.

Can anyone tell me if there's any other fuses, or indeed (Id imagine) a relay of some sort that is vuneralble to failure? Or should there be something else I can check?
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
see if you have a blue relay on the left hand side in the relay compartment.

if you have then it is the original prone to failure fan fail relay
this needs to be removed and the jumper wires recall put in.
(just 30amp cable with 3 blade connectors on!)

mind you there are many fan fail replacements out there and is probably discussed on this newsgroup too.

NickT.
Cheers Nick.
I'll look into it tomorrow matey

Cheers :wink:
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
As Nick said....

Check fuse 5 isn't blown

The relay on the bottom left (as you look at them) should have fan fail bypass jumpers in, or maybe a blue module. The one to the right should click when you short out your otterstat

This assumes of course that you don't have a third party fan fail bypass widget in there....
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Out of curiosity paul, do the cooling fans work when you put the air conditioning on with the engine running?

It could be an open circuit cooling fan diode or just the 35 amp fan speed circuit breaker that's gone duff (open circuit)

use a multimeter and set to volts.
connect black to battery negative post or a good kown earth point
use the red lead of the multimeter and test to see if you get 12v on both terminals on the 35 amp circuit breaker. If you only get 12v on one side then this is the problem.

Enjoy.

NickT.