Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel odour in the cabin
Every now and then, I get a very strong smell of fuel inside the car.

I've only just had the MOT done and there were no obvious fuel leaks, as you would think this would have been picked up during the MOT.

It's not constant, so detecting could be difficult, any obvious checks or common issues..??

thanks as always
Quote:I've only just had the MOT done and there were no obvious fuel leaks, as you would think this would have been picked up during the MOT.
They cant see the top of the tank whilst doing an MOT so any small leaks from the top of the tank would probably have evaporated before forming as a leak.

Usually they are from the tank or filler area, as you have no doubt worked out! (tank pump hole area, filler cap) however I have read about the carbon canister become full and allowing fumes to enter via the vacuum lines so you could look at that also. Certainly happens more commonly on newer vehicles. Also may be worth checking there are no small leaks from the fuel accumulator as well.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
thank Chris, I didn't fancy crawling around looking for fuel leaks in 30 degree heat yesterday LOL
Check the jubilee clips around the top of the fuel tank. My fuel pump boot (large) jubilee had corroded and didn't hold a tight seal anymore.
I've also seen pictures of fuel sitting on top of the pump after a weeping seal at the copper washers. That would definitely channel fumes into the cabin...
DOC 116
VIN 6237
(19 Jul 2021, 11:58)Stuart Rees Wrote: Check the jubilee clips around the top of the fuel tank. My fuel pump boot (large) jubilee had corroded and didn't hold a tight seal anymore.
I've also seen pictures of fuel sitting on top of the pump after a weeping seal at the copper washers. That would definitely channel fumes into the cabin...

+1 on this. I had a fuel smell in the cabin last year and it was due to over-tightening the clip that holds the fuel pump boot tight to the metal fuel return pipe. It had caused it to sit with a degree of torque applied to the rubber and over time had caused a nice little tear to form that wasn't really visible until you twisted the pipe.
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
I had the same - turned out to be at the seal where the fuel gauge enters the tank - just needed tightening up.
Derfel aka Derv

Oct 1981 RHD DeLorean VIN 4890
1962 Beetle
2013 Transporter T5 Camper
Don't forget the high pressure unions to the accumulator are just under your elbow too.... I've had a dribble there before now, just accessible with the centre console lifted out and access panel removed.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Youll likely notice a fuel smell anyway careless of "sealing everything up". Fill up the car and switch to vents on the HVAC and youll likely get a whiff of fuel. I dont think you can eliminate it completely
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
(27 Jul 2021, 10:51)DMC1983 Wrote: Youll likely notice a fuel smell anyway careless of "sealing everything up". Fill up the car and switch to vents on the HVAC and youll likely get a whiff of fuel. I dont think you can eliminate it completely

I don't agree with that personally. Every time I've had a fuel smell I've been able to trace it to something needing fixed.
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757