Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN No. 1867
Replacing weather seals is on my to-do list this year. I've started with the one attached to the door. 

With the old one off, I noticed the drain holes for the door don't align with the slots in the metal strip that secures the rubber blade. Two additional holes have been made to facilitate drainage. 

Are all DeLoreans like this, or is this a factory bodge for early cars? I doubt my car has had enough usage in its life for the weather seals to have been replaced by someone before now, so I doubt it's an owner work-around.
June '81 No. 1867
(30 Apr 2023, 16:04)Justwatching Wrote: Replacing weather seals is on my to-do list this year. I've started with the one attached to the door. 

With the old one off, I noticed the drain holes for the door don't align with the slots in the metal strip that secures the rubber blade. Two additional holes have been made to facilitate drainage. 

Are all DeLoreans like this, or is this a factory bodge for early cars? I doubt my car has had enough usage in its life for the weather seals to have been replaced by someone before now, so I doubt it's an owner work-around.

I did notice something very similar when i replaced mine a few months back, very bizzare that they didn't line up so they had to "modify" the holes
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
Got the door marker lights working. The plunger switch in the door shut had been disconnected on each side. 

Love an easy fix!

However...

A buzzer sounds continuously when the driver door is open. No lights on, no key in the ignition. I'm pretty sure that isn't right. 

Can anyone give me a steer on that?
June '81 No. 1867
That's normal operation from the Buzzer box above the steering column. Unplug it. This is also normal procedure for the owner. Smile
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Oh that thing's dreadful, probably explains why someone disconnected the door open switch!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
(03 May 2023, 08:14)Rissy Wrote: That's normal operation from the Buzzer box above the steering column.  Unplug it.  This is also normal procedure for the owner. Smile

Thanks for confirming. What a terrible design though; it's annoying, doesn't alert the user to anything important, and forces one of the car's most notable features to remain closed. 

On the plus side, I don't have to fix anything.
June '81 No. 1867
New fuel lines installed ready for the trip down to the Morgan factory in a couple of weeks. Well, minus the return line - it put up too much of a fight. 

It was a pig to start and ran rough initially, but took it for a drive and everything seems to have settled. 

June '81 No. 1867
Great job, they can be a nightmare I found the fuel filter one to be the most disproportionately difficult one for a simple design its pretty difficult to access!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Quote:Well, minus the return line - it put up too much of a fight.
I bet a pound you struggled disconnecting it from the hard line........... Big Grin
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(30 Aug 2023, 20:10)Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:Well, minus the return line - it put up too much of a fight.
I bet a pound you struggled disconnecting it from the hard line........... Big Grin

Of course. Penetrating fluid didn't make a difference and I didn't want to use a blowtorch for obvious reasons.
June '81 No. 1867
Got my fuel flap back from repair. Looks much better without the pot-rivets!

Used a general purpose contact adhesive. We'll see how well that holds up. 

Please excuse the finger prints/marks. The picture was taken immediately after installation. 

June '81 No. 1867
Excellent work! Looks OEM now!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Looks great!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Got given a key replicator. I know, unusual, but no gift horses were looked in the mouth and I got to work trying to make a spare door key. 

I used a WB2 key blank. Not sure if this is best/correct, it seemed to be the closest thing I could find. 

The result was...a bit off; the sides were slightly out of phase with each other. Surprisingly, it worked fine on both doors. 

I've got a second blank, so I'll have another go and try for something neater.
June '81 No. 1867
excellent stuff, a neat gadget to have.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie