Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN #2045 (Bessie) Is Here!
        Hi All;

Well, I joined the club a couple of months or so ago (and have been merrily kicking off loads of threads with various queries - thanks to everyone who supplied me with answers, and particularly to Chris W who helped me out with my importation paperwork!) and am now pleased to say that *MY* (OMG!) D has safely arrived!

All done online: searched for and purchased in the US, and then imported.  Just keeping my fingers crossed that all is well and there's no major issues!

She certainly runs, but I've had to replace the flat battery.  Apparently the guys at the UK import end used jump/boost starters to get her going 3 times (having stalled her on the clutch after the first 2 goes!) and so once they got her on the trailer they left her running!!  :-o

Fortunately she kept running whilst on the trailer all the way from Southampton to my house and didn't a/ run out of petrol or b/ massively overheat and explode, so I'm taking that as a good sign.  I then managed to drive her safely onto my drive (without stalling!), as you can see..

Have since replaced the battery (absolutely dead!) and given her a couple of trial starts.  She starts nicely but seems to run a little roughly - partly I suspect she is low on fuel!  
So, I'll put in a gallon or so of nice fresh clean lovely petrol and go again.  Will only run her for a little bit to warm up, then I've got a new oil filter and oil to go in as a 'starter for ten' to make sure she's treated nicely before any more extended running..!

And then: lights to change, PAX door handle to fix, then hopefully MOT and paperwork.. 
In the meantime I'm sure I'll come up with other questions.
Such as...
a/ there's a 'hissing' noise comes from behind the dash as soon as I 'key on'.  Could perhaps be the air con working?  Is this normal?
Anyone got any clues/ideas/knowledge?
b/ she's tricky to get into reverse.  I'm hoping that adjusting the gear cable underneath towards the back will give her a little more freedom to move the stick in that direction and then this'll improve.. am I barking up the wrong tree?
Very grateful for any advice, I'm sure there'll be more!

Oh yes, and I've called her 'Bessie'.  Like the Highwayman's horse..     Cool

Cheers!
Ivan..
Hmm.  Not quite sure I'm getting the 'add picture' thing right here.  Could be anything from zero to five pics attached!  Let's see.. Tongue

(11 May 2021, 12:17)lordivanhoe Wrote: Hi All;

Well, I joined the club a couple of months or so ago (and have been merrily kicking off loads of threads with various queries - thanks to everyone who supplied me with answers, and particularly to Chris W who helped me out with my importation paperwork!) and am now pleased to say that *MY* (OMG!) D has safely arrived!

All done online: searched for and purchased in the US, and then imported.  Just keeping my fingers crossed that all is well and there's no major issues!

She certainly runs, but I've had to replace the flat battery.  Apparently the guys at the UK import end used jump/boost starters to get her going 3 times (having stalled her on the clutch after the first 2 goes!) and so once they got her on the trailer they left her running!!  :-o

Fortunately she kept running whilst on the trailer all the way from Southampton to my house and didn't a/ run out of petrol or b/ massively overheat and explode, so I'm taking that as a good sign.  I then managed to drive her safely onto my drive (without stalling!), as you can see..

Have since replaced the battery (absolutely dead!) and given her a couple of trial starts.  She starts nicely but seems to run a little roughly - partly I suspect she is low on fuel!  
So, I'll put in a gallon or so of nice fresh clean lovely petrol and go again.  Will only run her for a little bit to warm up, then I've got a new oil filter and oil to go in as a 'starter for ten' to make sure she's treated nicely before any more extended running..!

And then: lights to change, PAX door handle to fix, then hopefully MOT and paperwork.. 
In the meantime I'm sure I'll come up with other questions.
Such as...
a/ there's a 'hissing' noise comes from behind the dash as soon as I 'key on'.  Could perhaps be the air con working?  Is this normal?
Anyone got any clues/ideas/knowledge?
b/ she's tricky to get into reverse.  I'm hoping that adjusting the gear cable underneath towards the back will give her a little more freedom to move the stick in that direction and then this'll improve.. am I barking up the wrong tree?
Very grateful for any advice, I'm sure there'll be more!

Oh yes, and I've called her 'Bessie'.  Like the Highwayman's horse..     Cool

Cheers!
Ivan..
Hmm.  Not quite sure I'm getting the 'add picture' thing right here.  Could be anything from zero to five pics attached!  Let's see.. Tongue

Oh, right.  Two.  What a chump.  Sorry all!
Looks beautiful bud. You must be pleased!!

I'd say that your reverse gear selection is probably as you describe, the adjustment is quite obvious when you look but I've not been under a manual for a very long time so I can't remember specifics unfortunately. Other than it being pretty straightforward!

Hissing is the vacuum operated HVAC system. Generally hisses as you move the central dial on the panel dash between various settings.  If it's persistent it may warrant further digging but I wouldn't worry for now.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Congratulations in getting the car, what an exciting day!

What's the recent history, was it a maintained car or fresh out of storage car, etc?

Might be worth having a quick look inside the fuel tank to see if it's clean before putting fresh petrol in.
US 'gas' is rubbish and you don't want any potential sludge gumming up the k-jet system.

Stuart
DOC 116
VIN 6237
(11 May 2021, 15:17)Rich Hanlon Wrote: Looks beautiful bud. You must be pleased!!

I'd say that your reverse gear selection is probably as you describe, the adjustment is quite obvious when you look but I've not been under a manual for a very long time so I can't remember specifics unfortunately. Other than it being pretty straightforward!

Hissing is the vacuum operated HVAC system. Generally hisses as you move the central dial on the panel dash between various settings.  If it's persistent it may warrant further digging but I wouldn't worry for now.

Yes, she's certainly caused a bit of a sensation on the street already!  And my daughters are well chuffed!  :-D

Thanks for the notes, I'll not get my knickers in a twist about those items yet then.
Cheers!
:-)

(11 May 2021, 15:31)Stuart Rees Wrote: Congratulations in getting the car, what an exciting day!

What's the recent history, was it a maintained car or fresh out of storage car, etc?

Might be worth having a quick look inside the fuel tank to see if it's clean before putting fresh petrol in.
US 'gas' is rubbish and you don't want any potential sludge gumming up the k-jet system.

Stuart
TBH I've not really got a lot of info about recent history, certainly got some paperwork which shows that as recently as 4 years ago she was being looked after (new brake calipers/pads/discs, for example, which is nice!), but exactly how she ended up at the dealer's is a bit of a mystery..
So I suspect it was being lightly used throughout.  Some of the invoices have a name and address on, mayhap I may see if I get any joy trying to contact the previous owner!
Good idea, any further good ideas about how to get a good look in the tank other than nudging the fill valve open and shining a torch inside..?  
Cheers!
:-)
Tank access is pretty easy. Take the spare wheel out from the boot and you'll see a half-moon access hatch with screws all round it. Pop that off and you'll see the top of the tank. Fuel pump sits inside the big rubber boot with the big jubilee clip around it. That offers the easiest way in but can be tricky to get the jubilee clip to sit round it again afterwards - they tend to pop up and off especially on a new boot with no groove worn into it.

The smaller one with electrical connections is the fuel guage sender, which lifts out once you've unscrewed the black outer retaining ring. Careful though as these are a bit fragile.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Looks like a really nice car, if it were me I think I may be tempted to not worry about the tank to much. I would agree with the two esteemed gents above about cleaning it out (and it's always good practice) BUT if it was running OK for such a time then I would be tempted to leave it alone, perhaps syphon all the nasty US 'gas' out of it and replenish with some good clean UK fuel. However as wrote cleaning the tank would be better if you have the time/skill. The idle is never perfectly smooth as they are an 'odd' fire engine. 
Running a tank of good fuel & injector cleaner through the KJet can work wonders for them in my experience.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hey, this is all great advice, thanks so much folks!
I'll let you know how I get on - dodging between the (late) April showers and when I can fit stuff in around work and domestics..!
Such a great forum.  Lovely to have such a good community knocking around.  
Looking forward to actually meeting some of you in due course, this year with any luck!

Ooh yes, another thing that seems to be running as soon as 'key on' is some sort of fan. Haven't investigated yet, presumably if it's the radiator fans then I'll have to look further, but I'm wondering(/guessing?) that the HVAC system might also be the source..?
Again, if anyone knows that'd be great.
Cheers!
Syphoning the potentially old fuel is a good idea. Best way is through the fuel sender. The sender has a notch so unplug it, lift and turn until it comes out. 

It probably ok but for piece of mind, etc.

On mine the fuel pump support ring was corroded and it dropped bits of rust into the tank, so all sorts can block the fuel delivery.
That said it's good that it runs... even on the trailer  Undecided

I like painted DeLoreans. Nice pin stripe too. Are you keeping it as is?
DOC 116
VIN 6237
she's a beauty, look forward to seeing her in the metal at some point.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Thanks, Claire and Stuart!
Have to say I quite like the paint job myself.  It's far from perfect but not bad and yes, the pinstripe is pretty much 80's "cool" epitomised!  (IMHO!).
Also, being the total 80's throwback / child of that time (like what I am!  Tongue ), the fact that she's black and therefore embodies a nod to KITT as well is also nice..
I may even (purists please look away now!) consider fitting some sort of 'whooshing' red light bar on the front, 'Ready Player One' stylee, for comedy stationary display purposes!
Also in all honesty having bought her I'm now running on a shoestring budget (comparatively) - just got a small 'fighting fund' to make sure all is well and get her safely on the road (through MOT and all that), pretty much anything cosmetic will have to wait, which would include any budget for returning to stainless!
So she's 'as is' for a good couple of years in any case, and I'll see how I get on longer-term before making any decision about that.

Roll on the weekend and hopefully the opportunity to crack on!
With regards to which, correspondents may be amused to see what I found when I took Bessie's grille off yesterday evening..
(will attempt to put picture in..)
A cute fluffy nest shows that she's been home to something in the not too distant past!!  Big Grin
Hopefully I don't come across any accompanying nibbled wiring or anything...
Sad

Attached Files Image(s)

That's very common I'm afraid (especially in that location) check in the jack storage location/under the plywood bits behind your seats etc etc. Don't want them chewing away at stuff.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
sorry not been around for a few weeks but she looks beautiful, black seems to work quite well with the car (much like the candy apple red one at DMCH) looking forward to seeing the car at a show one day
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
Cheers, Chris and Ningiachicken!
Chris, I'll deffo check out those spaces!
Updates: 

1/ Front lights done.  
2/ PAX door handle replaced.  Turned out it was already a metal one (but my new one is shinier).  Also that it obvs. wasn't broken!  Just the ball at the end of the door handle cable kept slipping off the handle bracket.  The cable itself was a bit bent.  At some point someone had obviously tried to glue it in place!!  In the end I took a file to the (new) handle bracket so that the ball sits better, and tightened the cable a bit.  Job Done!  (well, it works so far and I shut and opened the door about 20 times, so I'm calling it..!).

Rear (fog) lights next - and the reverse sensor kit from DGo whilst I'm in there.  
I've also ordered a full set of new tyres, the current ones have good tread but frankly I don't plan to trust them.  Sidewalls look a bit dry and cracky..

So.. lights, then down to my local garage for an MOT and tyre change, see what happens next!  Fingers crossed.. 
Although still probably at least a week before I manage to do the lights, being generally busy and mostly crap weather still even when I'm not, but still.
Wish me luck!!
:-D
The weather looks shite for the next few days.......i'm trying to get to grips with TR7's hood.....as i'm booked in for an MOT this morning.

At least we don't normally get leaking roofs on our Deloreans.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(20 May 2021, 08:18)Chris P Wrote: The weather looks shite for the next few days.......i'm trying to get to grips with TR7's hood.....as i'm booked in for an MOT this morning.

At least we don't normally get leaking roofs on our Deloreans.

Good luck!
Also leads me to a question, should I trust the waterproofness of my D in general?  If working well, will she be waterproof?
I've read differing thoughts on the subject!

Oh.. here's another one.,,

Whilst running wires through yesterday, for fog light and reverse sensor mods (and whilst it was actually dry and the louvres were open), I took the opportunity to change the air filter.
Good idea it turns out, the old one might have actually been the original, it was that dirty and crusty!  :-o

However:
The lower air filter box had actually melted and had holes in it, where it apparently 'rests' on top of the engine block.
I note that DGo have a used one for sale or offer new ones, if it comes to it.

Initially though, I plan to just cut out the affected section and then glue/rivet a plate on.

But the proximity of the plastic box to the engine head seems like a bit of a design flaw..
Anyone else had this problem, and if so anyone got any suggested mod to solve?

To my mind, once I've fixed the holes I might wrap the lower box in insulative 'volcano' tape or something similar, and maybe also fit some kind of bracket or something to act as a spacer just to give the box a bit of clearance from the head.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!