Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lights changes for UK road use
Hi again, everyone.
I'm hoping for an arrival in the coming weeks..!  Fingers crossed.

Obviously I'm aware that once it's here, before hitting the road I'll need (as a minimum) to change some headlights, fit (or make work) some rear fog light(s), and get it MOT'd.  This then enables registration, etc.
I've been perusing the parts threads and can't find anything definitive that is recently posted, so here goes with my questions:

i/ what's the latest (best option/what/where to get/how to fit) on the headlight situation?

ii/ what have people done with regards the fog light thing?

iii/ maybe an answer to ii/: Is the DeLorean Go foglight mod kit at the following link any good / easy to fit?
https://www.deloreango.com/us/uk-fog-lig...n-kit.html

As for the rest, I'll see what my local garage make of it when I roll up for MOT..!
Ooh, one final one:

iv/ do I recall seeing someone advertising for a custom-fit car cover..?

As ever, grateful for any help or suggestions!

Cheers!

Ivan.
Headlights are simple. You can get the correct ones at delorean go. I changed all 4 so they matched but you only really need to replace the outer ones. So a simple switch.

Rear foglight, the majority of owners get the Dgo one. Its fairly simple to install even if you arent electrically minded. If i can do it, anyone can.

As for MOT, my advice is try to find a classic car friendly place as they are a little more sympathetic to these old cars. Youll only need to get it through one anyway. As of this year, an 81 delorean has become MOT exempt.
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
<correction> as of next April (after the 6th April 2022), all 1981 DeLoreans become MOT exempt (Unless the DVLA has messed up on the dates of your paperwork, allowing you to claim falsely early)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
MOT is different and seperate to road tax. Ill be attempting to apply for both from april as my car is registered as 01/01/81. As far as im aware, you need a valid MOT to be able to apply for tax exemption.

MOT exemption can be applied for from 01/01/21 if your car is registered as an 81. If for example its registered as an 01/03/81 then you can apply from 01/03/21. For some reason this actually goes by the age of the car whereas tax exemption goes by age of the car but only once the current tax year is over.

Road tax (as we have discussed quite a bit recently) can only be done from April and only if your car is registered as 01/01/81. Its still possible I may have to wait till april 2022 as its a bit unclear with the way they have worded things. Guess we will find out come april.
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
DMC1983 / Rissy;
Thanks!

Fortunately my local garage is reasonably sympathetic - they keep allowing my kit car through every year (not that there's anything wrong with it or unsafe about it at all, but at some garages you do get the old 'ooh, I don't know' and the sound of air being sucked through teeth..!!) and I'm sure they'll love this!

Getting 'carted up' on the DGo website now..!  ;-)
(05 Mar 2021, 14:43)DMC1983 Wrote: MOT is different and seperate to road tax. Ill be attempting to apply for both from april as my car is registered as 01/01/81. As far as im aware, you need a valid MOT to be able to apply for tax exemption.

It's a bit of a catch 22. No applied rule related to April/financial or the start of the year with regards to age. BUT. As you say. They need proof of passing an MOT before they'll issue historic car tax payment exemption, so the way i see it, you'll still need to have a valid MOT into next year / when you apply for classic tax payment exemption.

Then of course there's the detached topic of insurance and how keen companies will be to insure you (either at all, or possibly just with an inflated premium) IF you don't have an MOT on your car to prove its road worthiness. After all, apart from tight wads; people who don't want to put an MOT on their car may have a suspect reason for not submitting it in the first place. Anyone who is confident in their cars ability to pass an MOT (and are not tight wads) would be only too happy to prove it by submission. Insurance companies may make our lives difficult. We'll have to see. Of course, there should come a time, when everyone is flying around in George Jetson Car Pods where it's just not practical to have such old cars put in for MOT simply because the technology is just not compatible with whatever future safety checking they have for testing flying pods. That of course could be some time yet.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
To be honest, I still plan on putting the car through an MOT. Its always good to have another set of eyes look over the car.
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
I can send you a description of what to do for any light changes.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(05 Mar 2021, 21:12)Chris Williams Wrote: I can send you a description of what to do for any light changes.
Chris

Cheers Chris, that would be most kind and welcome!
You have my email, of course. 
Thank you!
Ivan
If you need a step by step process of everything about importing, I used this link. Follow that and everything will go very smoothly without any complications

http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewforum....3fe5ff0004
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
(09 Mar 2021, 10:25)DMC1983 Wrote: If you need a step by step process of everything about importing, I used this link. Follow that and everything will go very smoothly without any complications

http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewforum....3fe5ff0004

Great link - thank you!  :-D
I believe you can declare the car as MOT exempt when you tax it for the first time as a Historic vehicle using form v112 - link below.

The reason for MOT exemption is category r - vehicle manufactured 40 years ago.

But all this can't be done until the 1st of April ( if your car is 40 years old on the V5 ) and it needs to be done at a Post office with a V5 in your name. The Post office will then send everything to the DVLA and you will receive a new V5 with the Historic tax status in the post.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk...om-mot.pdf

I will be going down this route so I can legally drive to get tyres and tracking done etc - but still plan to MOT the car to make sure it's safe to drive at 70mph on the motorway.

Interestingly - my car was built in October 1981 - but on the V5 it has 1st of Jan 81. Think this is quite common for imported cars.
Derfel aka Derv

Oct 1981 RHD DeLorean VIN 4890
1962 Beetle
2013 Transporter T5 Camper
(09 Mar 2021, 11:12)Derfel Wrote: Interestingly - my car was built in October 1981 - but on the V5 it has 1st of Jan 81. Think this is quite common for imported cars.

My car is a May '81 build. My V5 states December 31st 1981. I cannot claim historical status until after April 6th 2022 because of this. Even if i changed the DLVA information successfully to reflect a build date of May 1981 (I've tried with them, and they wont do it), I still wouldn't be able to claim until after April 6th 2022. So it's no skin off my nose really. Anyone's DeLorean paperwork which states a date early enough to be able to claim historical significance earlier than April 6th 2022, is down to a mistake on the DVLA's part, for which they probably wont own up, or be interested in correcting. So owners of such vehicles can consider themselves blessed a year early. However, the jury is still out on what the outcome would be if you have an accident or something meaning the insurance company steps in. They need very little excuse not to pay out, as we all know.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):