Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeLorean Space Saver spare wheel Wanted
I need a space saver spare wheel for one of our DeLoreans does anyone have one for sale ?
Or know of another space saver that will fit the car ?
Thanks
Unless someone has one to sell, the short answer is no. Many have tried to find a suitable spare wheel from another vehicle, but I believe none have been entirely successful. The closest anyone has come, is to find a wheel with the same PCD (not sure on identity of such wheels), but then they still need to bore out the centre hole for the hub to fit into.

Original DMC space saver wheels command a premium for this very reason. All cars originally had one, but for whatever reason, some now are without one. So it comes down to personal preference on whether some people are willing to give up theirs, running the risk they may never be able to replace it again later on, or will, but at an even bigger cost.

Many people wouldn't run on them anyway. Instead, opting for a modern tyre weld type product you inject into the tyre via the valve to get them out of a tight spot. It's also a big saver on space in the boot, giving you more space to store luggage etc.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
(24 Feb 2021, 14:26)Rissy Wrote: Unless someone has one to sell, the short answer is no.  Many have tried to find a suitable spare wheel from another vehicle, but I believe none have been entirely successful.  The closest anyone has come, is to find a wheel with the same PCD (not sure on identity of such wheels), but then they still need to bore out the centre hole for the hub to fit into.

Original DMC space saver wheels command a premium for this very reason.  All cars originally had one, but for whatever reason, some now are without one.  So it comes down to personal preference on whether some people are willing to give up theirs, running the risk they may never be able to replace it again later on, or will, but at an even bigger cost.

Many people wouldn't run on them anyway.  Instead, opting for a modern tyre weld type product you inject into the tyre via the valve to get them out of a tight spot.  It's also a big saver on space in the boot, giving you more space to store luggage etc.

Okay Many Thanks for your answer .
I think it is known that an MX5 space saver will fit, but please don't take my word for it!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
(26 Feb 2021, 12:40)Rich Hanlon Wrote: I think it is known that an MX5 space saver will fit, but please don't take my word for it!

That's the best, closest answer i've heard of yet. Same 4 lug PCD (100mm) as some 2015-2021 and some 90's variants, although the centre bore is bigger on the MX5 wheels compared to the D' (D' is 2" or 51mm and MX5 is 54.1mm). MX5 uses M12 bolt holes, and so does the D'.

Good information Rich! I wonder what the opinion would be on safety with an enlarged centre bore hole rather than one that sits snug? Purely relying on the four bolts to hold lateral direction forces exerted on the wheel rather than the bolts AND the centre hub...

...now if you could fit a spacer when fitting an MX5 spare wheel....!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
One on EBay at the moment:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DeLorean-spar...SwVD9gOoVr

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(26 Feb 2021, 17:35)Rissy Wrote:
(26 Feb 2021, 12:40)Rich Hanlon Wrote: I think it is known that an MX5 space saver will fit, but please don't take my word for it!

That's the best, closest answer i've heard of yet.  Same 4 lug PCD (100mm) as some 2015-2021 and some 90's variants, although the centre bore is bigger on the MX5 wheels compared to the D'  (D' is 2" or 51mm and MX5 is 54.1mm).  MX5 uses M12 bolt holes, and so does the D'.

Good information Rich!  I wonder what the opinion would be on safety with an enlarged centre bore hole rather than one that sits snug?  Purely relying on the four bolts to hold lateral direction forces exerted on the wheel rather than the bolts AND the centre hub...

...now if you could fit a spacer when fitting an MX5 spare wheel....!
I dunno but I don't think the D ones carry any load through the centre bore (I think there's a term for this?) I don't know for sure, but if I was looking, I'd take a punt in an MX5 one. I guess you could get a collar machined up if one were so inclined!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
We used an original spacesaver a few years ago, it didnt hold air and we made it about 500yds before it
gave up.
We then fitted the spacesaver from our Toyota Sera (that we'd taken to the same show as we needed a car
that could take more then 2 people as well as the De), and that just about got us home, but it was a very
slow and careful drive back. Longest 10 miles of my life!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Thanks for everyone's input .
I did work out that the one on a Kia Rio would fit but because of the off set a spacer would be needed.
I was going to buy the one on Ebay but the car requires more work than I originally thought so now just trying to work out the best plan for it .