Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeLorean Wanted - Closing in on the 33 year old dream
Hi all. As I mentioned in my introduction thread I am closer to purchasing my own DeLorean than I ever have been before, expecting the funds to be available very soon. Thus completing a dream I've had of owning one for 33 years!

But I'd really value some advice from you guys, I have been looking around and have my eye on a couple. As I'd really like to have one decided on prior so when the money is there I can sort it straight away (providing it didn't sell in the meantime).

Unfortunately I'm mechanically inept so I'd be looking for one with all the major issues sorted already, so a good day to day runner without big problems that requires minimum maintenance (and lining up a friendly classics friendly garage for any other work).

I don't have a preference on year or bonnet style, black or grey, but I do want a manual. Is there anything perhaps becoming available that is not advertised publicly at the moment?

I know what I'm looking for, a non-project will take me to the upper £30k bracket but I'm expecting this to not be a problem financially.

So I've obviously seen the £42k one currently listed for sale here on the club (VIN 2677). What would be an objective assessment of this car? Good price for a good runner with 66k on the clock? Anything left on it to fix or replace mechanically?

This one has also caught my eye https://deloreanforsale.weebly.com/history.html / https://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/del...tv95008337 (with very low mileage). Same questions, what would be left to do and any obvious pitfalls that I'd have to be booking in to my local garage for?

Any other advice or tips that I need to take into consideration when looking for a good runner?

Self-professed Delorean newbie here, any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,
Ok lots of questions. The 42k one is a very nice car. The other you have linked to is a very recent import and a very late car (Vin 166something) so not a lot is known about it. A shame that there are not more/some/pictures of the chassis. Though I guess it came from Florida so should be a relatively rust free one. I always say the same to everyone, always expect/budget for something going wrong on a new purchase. These cars are often infrequently used so suddenly a lot of use can through up some minor issues. Things break/fail/require replacement etc. Often not much but silly things, that and you will no doubt wish to alter things yourself.
I suspect there will be a few up for sale as the year goes on as peoples circumstances change but I cant see values dropping to much. This book should you not already have it will guide you in much more detail: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delorean-...s-guide-2/ than can be referenced on one thread.
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(12 Jul 2020, 15:00)Chris Williams Wrote: Hi,
Ok lots of questions. The 42k one is a very nice car. The other you have linked to is a very recent import and a very late car (Vin 166something) so not a lot is known about it. A shame that there are not more/some/pictures of the chassis. Though I guess it came from Florida so should be a relatively rust free one. I always say the same to everyone, always expect/budget for something going wrong on a new purchase. These cars are often infrequently used so suddenly a lot of use can through up some minor issues. Things break/fail/require replacement etc. Often not much but silly things, that and you will no doubt wish to alter things yourself.
I suspect there will be a few up for sale as the year goes on as peoples circumstances change but I cant see values dropping to much. This book should you not already have it will guide you in much more detail: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delorean-...s-guide-2/ than can be referenced on one thread.

Hi Chris thanks for your reply and the link to the book, I just placed my order. I like the idea of a low mileage car of course but I know it's never as straightforward as 'low mileage = reliable and problem free'. If all goes according to plan im going to be financially secure and able to deal with any unexpected costs..... I'm going to need to rely on my friendly local garage for important stuff but I do want to learn and to do smaller jobs myself.

Current excitement level - very high!
Quote: I like the idea of a low mileage car of course but I know it's never as straightforward as 'low mileage = reliable and problem free'
Some buyers seem obsessed with the low mileage thing but IMHO (and some others) I don't get it, it does not seem to add to the value and the more regularly driven cars with a decent mileage seem to be a better buy, that's my thoughts anyway. Clearly there are exceptions to this.
Lots of good knowledgeable owners within the UK who I'm sure will help you out and if possible look at a car with you or post comments on any pictures you can post up.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(12 Jul 2020, 20:06)Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote: I like the idea of a low mileage car of course but I know it's never as straightforward as 'low mileage = reliable and problem free'
Some buyers seem obsessed with the low mileage thing but IMHO (and some others) I don't get it, it does not seem to add to the value and the more regularly driven cars with a decent mileage seem to be a better buy, that's my thoughts anyway. Clearly there are exceptions to this.
Lots of good knowledgeable owners within the UK who I'm sure will help you out and if possible look at a car with you or post comments on any pictures you can post up.
Chris

Yes, straight off the bat I'd prefer a reliable daily runner from the start over something with lower mileage with major issues.

I'm looking forward to taking a read through the buyers guide, but let me ask you a question. If you were in my new buyers situation with the choice of VIN 2677 (Doc 16v) at 66k miles and the new import with 5k miles... but you had your wealth of experience behind you. Which would your gut go for?

I just noticed the owner has taken the weebly site down that I previously linked (I messaged his contact page earlier) but the other listing is still up, maybe it's removed from sale? I don't know.
Quote: If you were in my new buyers situation with the choice of VIN 2677 (Doc 16v) at 66k miles and the new import with 5k miles... but you had your wealth of experience behind you. Which would your gut go for?
Impossible to guess without seeing the car properly, I know 2677 is a good solid car, the other one has very limited pictures to go on, from what I can see it's missing it's electrical connection cover in the engine bay and there is something 'odd' about the switchgear location. However these are minor points, it may have had 20k spent on it! Without more pics/info it's not fair to judge it.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(12 Jul 2020, 20:29)Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote: If you were in my new buyers situation with the choice of VIN 2677 (Doc 16v) at 66k miles and the new import with 5k miles... but you had your wealth of experience behind you. Which would your gut go for?
Impossible to guess without seeing the car properly, I know 2677 is a good solid car, the other one has very limited pictures to go on, from what I can see it's missing it's electrical connection cover in the engine bay and there is something 'odd' about the switchgear location. However these are minor points, it may have had 20k spent on it! Without more pics/info it's not fair to judge it.
Chris
Fair enough, thanks for your input.
Personally i feel low mileage on a delorean is only ever a good thing if you never want to drive it and have a show pony/garage queen/garden ornament. I would only buy one if the appropriate work is done (which it rarely is). Also, low mileage means nothing if the angle drive is broken (which it usually it is). Easy to tell if the speedo works or not. 

Working on a delorean is pretty straight forward. Its mostly just nuts and bolts. The more work you do yourself, the more rewarding it is, the more you know and understand the car and the more money you save. I bought a non running project from bhcc. Im no mechanic (most ive ever done to a car is change the oil and coolant) and i not only got the car running but ive done tons of work to it (currently changing the exhaust to a freeflowow spec). Ive easily saved £10k in labour fees. If i can work on the car, anyone can. 

The weebly link i cant see but the other one with low mileage at £38k, i would want to see engine and chassis pics and would want to know what "recomission" work has been done. Otherwise, it looks to be a decent contender. 

Read chris' book as it will help greatly. There is an american version out there too which i cant find for less than about £40 now. Both these books should be considered a potential buyers bibles (new and old testaments  Big Grin )

As ever, always feel free to carry on doing what youve done. Post questions regarding cars and ask for owners opinions. Ive helped other people via facebook this way and theyre all owners now. 

Know what you want and what youre willing to do work wise and good luck on youre journey
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
Quote:(new and old testaments  [Image: biggrin.png] )
I like that! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(12 Jul 2020, 23:08)DMC1983 Wrote: Personally i feel low mileage on a delorean is only ever a good thing if you never want to drive it and have a show pony/garage queen/garden ornament. I would only buy one if the appropriate work is done (which it rarely is). Also, low mileage means nothing if the angle drive is broken (which it usually it is). Easy to tell if the speedo works or not. 

I'm definitely going to be using it regularly, for my day to day runner when I don't have wife and child in tow. That's why my priority is a car that has had the important elements fixed, over one with low mileage. I want to learn and give things a go, I just have no mechanical experience so it's obviously some what daunting.
(13 Jul 2020, 09:17)mattjeh Wrote:
(12 Jul 2020, 23:08)DMC1983 Wrote: Personally i feel low mileage on a delorean is only ever a good thing if you never want to drive it and have a show pony/garage queen/garden ornament. I would only buy one if the appropriate work is done (which it rarely is). Also, low mileage means nothing if the angle drive is broken (which it usually it is). Easy to tell if the speedo works or not. 

I'm definitely going to be using it regularly, for my day to day runner when I don't have wife and child in tow. That's why my priority is a car that has had the important elements fixed, over one with low mileage. I want to learn and give things a go, I just have no mechanical experience so it's obviously some what daunting.

I wouldn't worry about the experience, it will come with time.... I recall seeing Rich's thread on lifting the body off the chassis and thinking, jesus wept that's so far from anything I could accomplish and yet less than 8 months later I have done the same. As long as you are patient and in no rush and take it easy I am sure YOU can do it. 

There is nothing worse than working on something on Sunday and needing it for Monday so keep that in mind and I assume you have a second driver. 

There are so many walkthroughs, videos etc it makes  it so much easier. Anything you need to do  will have been done a zillion times before and various folk will have the pro's and con's and the best way to do it.
I think you underestimate how bad my engineering skills are Wink but I get your point. Hopefully the body lift won't be something I'll ever have to face.
These cars are 40 years old now, like any Classic Cars they can sometimes be temperamental. Blush 

It you want guarantee's...buy a newish cheap Japanese car, regardless of mileage. Angel
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(13 Jul 2020, 15:01)Chris P Wrote: These cars are 40 years old now, like any Classic Cars they can sometimes be temperamental. Blush 

It you want guarantee's...buy a newish cheap Japanese car, regardless of mileage. Angel

Totally, im looking forward to owning one, and all that it brings.
(13 Jul 2020, 09:17)mattjeh Wrote: ...I just have no mechanical experience so it's obviously some what daunting.

True and is the same for the majority of us. Imagine getting a non running project on your drive and then thinking "well where do i begin?" I had no idea where to start or what to do. 

If someone told me i would be rebuilding calipers and sorting out the fuelling system (to name a few) i wouldnt have believed them. Youll be surprised what you will have to do even on a sorted car. Ask chris, he recently (like me) ventured into the VOD which is a job i thought i would pay someone else to do. Its all daunting but it gets easier the more you do. I dont intend to ever do a frame off but after everything ive done, i dont see it quite so daunting anymore. At some point i need to drop the transmission just to do that infamous oil seal (which will have to be done on my drive). Never thought i would have done half the things i have. 

Things happen and you either do the work yourself or have a reserve amount of cash to pay someone else to do them. The man hours is what bumps up costs. Changing fuel lines is an £80 (parts) job if you do the work yourself. Add another £100 roughly if you get someone else to do it. It really pays to do as much as possible yourself (for someone restoring, that £100 can buy other parts needed for the car). 
You just need to think and go slow documenting the process. Failing that, you may have another owner near by who may be willing to help out for a nice meal and a couple of beers. 

You can do it. Have some confidence. Be glad it doesnt have all those sensors like modern cars that tend to fail more often than the part they sense lighting up the dash like a christmas tree
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876