Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto Gearbox wanted
Hello all,
I have to confess that I'm not a DeLorean owner. I'm looking for a 4141 gearbox for a Renault 25.
Failing that, if someone could recommend a good gearbox repair shop in UK or Ireland( I'm in Northern Ireland).

I've been told that the gearbox ran out of oil which caused the damage.

Any help or pointers appreciated,
Thanks
I had mine overhauled at a place in Manchester called, imaginatively, the Automatic Gearbox Company. I think it was about £800 though, about 10 years ago...

Some people convert DeLoreans from Auto to Manual so they do crop up. I know of someone who has this planned in the medium future... Will enquire.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
There's a place near Mansfield who fixes them. they sorted one out for me. Apparently its a standard GM 3 speed auto box, well known to them.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thankyou for your replies Richard and Chris.
I will contact both of those and see what they say.
Have to tackle the job of getting the box out first  Smile .
On a DeLorean this is a very tricky job...even on a lift. I recon I had about 2-3MM of room to slide the box backward!

Yet chum in NI did it on his drive...he has my full admiration.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Yes, it's a nightmare!

First time, I took the box out on the drive on its own from underneath, it was a nightmare, so next time I took the engine and box out together from the top, which was much easier on balance despite more spannering overall.

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
(21 Mar 2020, 10:48)Rich Hanlon Wrote: Yes, it's a nightmare!

First time, I took the box out on the drive on its own from underneath, it was a nightmare, so next time I took the engine and box out together from the top, which was much easier on balance despite more spannering overall.

Hats off to anyone who takes on with the job on his driveway. I have access to a pit and I think my neighbour has a gearbox jack.
What do they weigh roughly 100kgs?
I think I took the diff out with mine but it's a long time ago. But it was certainly a 2 person lift, so probably 100kg or thereabouts.

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Car just arrived today, didn't have time to look around it too much, but took out the dipstick and the oil has water in it.
This probably means the gearbox heat exchanger has failed internally, so I plan to flush out the gearbox, replace the oil
cooler and see what happens.

I didn't try driving the car but the transport guy said that it drove onto the transporter just fine, and the gearbox felt ok when
he put it into drive. He's also a mechanic so he would have some idea what's ok.

I'm hoping that I may be able to avoid having to remove it.
Here's one I made earlier...    

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
(24 Mar 2020, 00:34)Rich Hanlon Wrote: Here's one I made earlier...

Aha! What's the story with this one then?
That's mine, presently out for a chassis refurbishment.

Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
(24 Mar 2020, 14:36)Rich Hanlon Wrote: That's mine, presently out for a chassis refurbishment.

I finally started removing the auto box. Drained the box and the final drive and removed both exhausts.
A bit confused about where to disconnect the wiring that goes to the two plugs underneath. One goes to the solenoids and
the other I'm not sure, kickdown maybe? Anyhow I removed the sump to get a better look (which still had a lot of fluid in it) and
disconnected the solenoid plug via a clip on the inside.
I couldn't see a way of disconnecting it up at the diagnostic plug end, but from pics I've seen on the net it seems to be possible
to disconnect it there instead. Anyone know?

A place in Hailsham have given me a quote to replace it, so when removed it will be shipped off to them.

Attached Files Image(s)

I used a place near Mansfield in Nottingham to repair mine...( some years ago) they were very good and knew this type off/box well.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(22 Jul 2021, 22:26)Chris P Wrote: I used a place near Mansfield in Nottingham to repair mine...( some years ago) they were very good and knew this type off/box well.

Was it EJ Rose/ Rose transmissions? I had a look at them but there were a few scary reviews on google which put me off.
Actually I just had a look there and I did contact them but got no response.