Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
re vin 5222 now on its way to UK
Video 
Hi All

for those not on the FB page, i am now the proud owner of 5222, grey auto no gas flap.

on board ship (already tracking it!) and on its way to Southampton.

part red...will be back to stainless.

i will post a couple of pics (once i have an url upload) already have a couple of questions.

as soon as it arrived looking to fit the all in one pump/sender..unless anyone has had bad experiences...looking forward to all the enjoys, trials and tribulations of DeLorean ownership again.

will be a the NEC on Saturday...…..

Steve
vin 5222
Ex owner vin 1621
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Well done Steve...nice to have you back in the fold again Wink ...... I don't do face-page anymore...so no all new to to me. Huh

too many head dicks. Blush
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Congratulations. Planning to strip my delorean back to stainless this winter. What's your plan to take the paint off? I was going for chemical first and if that fails soda.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Greetings again from 5219. Hope to see you at a meet and have our cars "catchup"  Big Grin
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
Super news, you are not far from me we must have a meet up Smile
(18 Oct 2019, 17:50)steve.s Wrote: Hi All

for those not on the FB page, i am now the proud owner of 5222, grey auto no gas flap.

on board ship (already tracking it!) and on its way to Southampton.

part red...will be back to stainless.

i will post a couple of pics (once i have an url upload) already have a couple of questions.

as soon as it arrived looking to fit the all in one pump/sender..unless anyone has had bad experiences...looking forward to all the enjoys, trials and tribulations of DeLorean ownership again.

will be a the NEC on Saturday...…..

i have a question...my interior is going to need some tidying!, however what is that pipe leading from maybe heater box is it?. is it a vac pipe? or water? if so what is coming out of it. i am puzzled by this photo.

Steve
vin 5222
Ex owner vin 1621

[Image: delorean.jpg]

(18 Oct 2019, 18:28)Chris P Wrote: Well done Steve...nice to have you back in the fold again Wink ...... I don't do face-page anymore...so no all new to to me. Huh

too many head dicks. Blush
thank you, cant wait to fix enough to drive...

would love your RHD...but kids mortgages etc....you know how it is1.

Regards

Steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
(19 Oct 2019, 09:08)acmetowers Wrote: Congratulations. Planning to strip my delorean back to stainless this winter. What's your plan to take the paint off? I was going for chemical first and if that fails soda.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Hi

i have had a few emails with Chris N regarding paint stripping.

he recommends not soda, but nitromors or other paint stripper (but test on stainless first!) and dont get anywhere near plastic, trim rubber! etc

Better if possible to take off panels? But that could be difficult.

mine is about 1/3 stripped by PO. Some door damage which Chris N may be able to repair.

first job getting it running, needs a pump etc.

tank been cleaned, new plugs and turns over.

fingers crossed she starts without too much trouble. 

what i will do is work on engine...while i paint on the paint stripper and leave it to work...

i am hoping it is easier than it looks!
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
I'd too would consecrate on the mechanics .....you can get it looking pretty later.

Flush plenty of clean petrol through the system first. You don't want to spreading crud around too much.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(20 Oct 2019, 13:12)er1c Wrote: Super news, you are not far from me we must have a meet up Smile

yes can do....do you have a Delorean....or a prospective future owner?

(20 Oct 2019, 22:30)Chris P Wrote: I'd too would consecrate on the mechanics .....you can get it looking pretty later.

Flush plenty of clean petrol through the system first. You don't want to spreading  crud around too much.

yes...will put all the injector hoses into jars and crank...new fuel filter, clean out the fuel feed, clean up the warm up regulator,,,but have a spare here.

also have spare elec window regulators!. if if they are gone that will be a cheap fix!. just cost plenty in plasters!! Big Grin

going to be great driving a Delorean again....

projects are exciting as you never know what work works and what doesn't, all part of the fun
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Agreed with the above. Get it running etc first. Cosmetics come later.

Regarding your question about the pipe, i assume you mean the tube attached to the silver circle? If so, its one of a few vac actuators. What one though i cant say as they all look the same. Theres 2 or 3 of them under the dash/center console. I was under there earlier to find out why all i get is VENT and turns out i only have 2 vac hoses connected and its not even attached to the selector.

Here you can see one of those actuators. This is looking into the footwell where the center console ends.

Here you can see one above the other. Hope it helps you a bit

- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
(20 Oct 2019, 23:13)DMC1983 Wrote: Agreed with the above. Get it running etc first. Cosmetics come later.

Regarding your question about the pipe, i assume you mean the tube attached to the silver circle? If so, its one of a few vac actuators. What one though i cant say as they all look the same. Theres 2 or 3 of them under the dash/center console. I was under there earlier to find out why all i get is VENT and turns out i only have 2 vac hoses connected and its not even attached to the selector.

Here you can see one of those actuators. This is looking into the footwell where the center console ends.

Here you can see one above the other. Hope it helps you a bit
hi
thank you i did think it was likely a vac hose...not sure what is coming out of it!. any of you guys ideas?. wonder if the heater matrix is shot?. a Po has undone much of the interior, person i purchased off said he did not know why...thoguth maybe they were trying to get the heater matrix out, presumably is under the dash.

Guys i may be calling on my Delorean friends for plenty of under dash photos....

its straightforward when you take things off and put back yourself, the hardest is when someone has taken apart and you don't know where it all goes!!.

Thank you
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Aint that the truth, I swapped Lambda sensor, plugs, HT, all manner of things which all needed doing trying to troubleshoot hesitation and stuttering and it was only when I found a black wire on my 4th Intake Manifold re-do which it turns out was the EARTH for the Lambda sensor so it had never been connected in my ownership. So I earthed that and its as sweet as a nut now.....
Hi Steve,

Huge congrats on the new purchase and as Chrispy said, it's great to see you back as a DeLorean owner again.

With regard to the panels, have you considered removing the front fenders and taking them to somewhere like Surface Processing in Dudley where they can just dip them to strip the paint off? That might save at least a few sessions with the Nitromors? 

I'll be at the NEC tomorrow too, maybe see you there.

Cheers,

Phil
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
(08 Nov 2019, 20:44)Phil Peters Wrote: Hi Steve,

Huge congrats on the new purchase and as Chrispy said, it's great to see you back as a DeLorean owner again.

With regard to the panels, have you considered removing the front fenders and taking them to somewhere like Surface Processing in Dudley where they can just dip them to strip the paint off? That might save at least a few sessions with the Nitromors? 

I'll be at the NEC tomorrow too, maybe see you there.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil

thank you for the email, yes glad to be back.....i should have realised years ago....and kept the BAE and spare seats i had!.

only sold 1621 as building trade went poor!.

yes i am considering removing panels. she has a bit of door damage (hoping Chris N can save it!), fingers crossed not too much more!.

has not run for 10 or 15 years.....but turns over ok, has had some wd40 down cylinders.

i will take out plugs and drop a little sowing machine oil down the chambers, check over the plugs...Tank has been cleaned but i will double check.

ordering a new pump and pick up system, aim is to try and get mot and looking reasonable by next July...not sure if i will hit that but will try...

looks like some nights in a cold garage again!.

how is spy100 going these days?. was at the NEC today but must have missed you..

Regards

Steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Hi All

a quick update...i am starting a youtube blog soon on repairs!

so car now arrived, and about the condition i thought it was.

a few pluses a few minuses. passenger door will not open, tried quite a few times, but don't want to break handle. interior console loose so no power window switches connected, and as yet i have not put a battery on the car to test anything.

wiring a bit of a mess, some underdash pics of where things go would help if anyone has any. the heating vent system is a mess, someone has been at work under dash, part of an airbox was under the hood, as were varies ducts, 2 craig speakers (in good condition!)..as far as i know non of it a mot failure, so need to get the important bits done then vent system last...

middle console is loose, all switches disconnected...i need to re-label all cables to where they should go.

started paint strip on bonnet, i will upload vids, did a test of nitromoors vs Frost paint stripper...wait to see which won!.

plus points frame looks really good, have not seen any corrosion (yet!). most parts there i think except clock and craig, seats not too bad think a repair and colour they will be fine.
original wheels were included and apart from a little rim damage on one i am hoping a smart repair rather than complete refurb.(so save £££)

carpets  little faded in places but think they will clean up...brakes work!, even handbrake holds of sorts. steering column moves so already ordered the grommet thingy!.

i am likely going to sell the set of wheels on it, they are spoked, with middle spinners, not quite sure how they come off yet.

usual sun stained dash, little bit of damage, hoping to save it though with repair and recolour.

headliners hopeless, need a recover.

already have a fuel pump kit, alternator belt, oil filter/oil, air filter, front lights, fog light parts to fit.

going to flush through with petrol, bit at a time, take of injector hoses to and flush those into jam jars...

going to change the trans filter...before trying to drive (if it starts after 15 years!), i was told engine does rotate though.

Steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370