Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello!
Hi everyone.

My names Lee and I've been a fan of the BTTF films since there release and always dreamed of owning a Delorean. Still remember the first time I saw a D when I was around 14 years old down in Cornwall. It was parked on a garage roof!! My father asked the owner if I could have a photo next to it. From that moment I knew 1 day I would have to own one.

Located in the West Midlands and we've just bought a new home with a large garage so it now time to fill it with a Delorean! 

Been watching the listings over the past few years and I feel I'll get a better deal if I ship from the US. Whats everyone's thoughts on this?

Looking for a grey interior, would prefer an auto but happy with a manual if the price is right!

Looking forward to using the forum!

Cheers.
Owner of VIN #6706
Based in the West Midlands
I imported my car from bhcc earlier this year. I went for a project as prices are going up. Glad i did as i know the car very well and i know whats been done/still needs doing.

Are you after a project or a good example? Either way, importing is gonna be the cheaper option. If you want a project then you really have no choice but to import (there is one currently for sale at 14k but its in pieces, so some assembly required). Importing is a fairly simple process now a days. Its just the wait thats the hard part. Im currently writing an article for one of the DOC magazines that details my experience and the process. If you need help let me know. Im currently now waiting for the v5c "logbook" to come through so i can get number plates made up. Hopefully it should be this week so i should be able to answer questions or guide you through the process.

Have you bought the buyers guide books? Theres 2 of them. Both are worth obtaining. One is by james espey in the states, the other is by our own chris williams. Having knowledge about these cars is required. They point out problem areas to look out for and include various tips for when buying.

- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
Welcome to the forum!

Where about in the west midlands do you hail?

There are other owners in the same neck of woods.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
(12 Aug 2019, 23:25)DMC1983 Wrote: I imported my car from bhcc earlier this year. I went for a project as prices are going up. Glad i did as i know the car very well and i know whats been done/still needs doing.

Are you after a project or a good example? Either way, importing is gonna be the cheaper option. If you want a project then you really have no choice but to import (there is one currently for sale at 14k but its in pieces, so some assembly required). Importing is a fairly simple process now a days. Its just the wait thats the hard part. Im currently writing an article for one of the DOC magazines that details my experience and the process. If you need help let me know. Im currently now waiting for the v5c "logbook" to come through so i can get number plates made up. Hopefully it should be this week so i should be able to answer questions or guide you through the process.

Have you bought the buyers guide books? Theres 2 of them. Both are worth obtaining. One is by james espey in the states, the other is by our own chris williams. Having knowledge about these cars is required. They point out problem areas to look out for and include various tips for when buying.

I've spoke with John Salas at BHCC after enquiring about some of the past listings they had for sale. I've read some horror stories about buying from them, parts going missing, car's being way over priced etc. Its buying blind that worries me, spending so much on a car you've not physically seen.

Ideally I would like a running car and not like the 14k Meccano set currently on Ebay  Big Grin

I've recently purchased the book by Chris Williams. Do I need both of them? If so, please let me know the best place to order it from. Thanks.

(13 Aug 2019, 13:23)Rissy Wrote: Welcome to the forum!

Where about in the west midlands do you hail?

There are other owners in the same neck of woods.

Thanks Rissy

From West Bromwich but never seen any Delorean's around here. I did spot one on a trailer heading towards liverpool last December. Anyone on here?
Owner of VIN #6706
Tbh you dont need it as such. It does have info the other doesnt. I got mine off ebay iirc. 

Yes there have been a few horror stories about bhcc but most owners i know, including myself, are very happy with our purchases. Some of those horror stories arent what they seem either. 

However, buying blind is a bit scary. My view is, if you can import a car for £20k or less and you cant sort it out you will very easily make your money back selling it as a uk project. Projects are in high demand and very very very short supply. Its rare. So rare that usually when one lists, it sells within the few days of listing. 

My car wasnt running and it pretty much took a set of new relays and a new starter and it started. I also changed other parts like filters, accumulator and fuel pump to name a few which i would advise doing whether the car you get runs or not (i have my own thread titled vin 5219 if you want toto have a read through).
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
I've just found a copy on ebay for £29.99. I'll order it this evening. Thanks.

Did BHCC help with the shipping? If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost to ship to the UK with the insurance? Do you have to pay the 5% VAT on it arriving in the UK?
Owner of VIN #6706
I think it cost about $1500. They do everything. They will ship your car to the port and sort out the paperwork so you dont have to do anything till it lands in the uk at your chosen port. Insurance was a further $600 i think. Could be wrong. I managed to negotiate some cash off the car which was enough to nearly cover the costs of exporting/insurance so I felt i got all that for free.

You will need to speak to the shipping agents. They should be noted with contact details on one of the forms bhcc will give you. You will need to fill out a couple of forms one of which is a BTI form. This is the one that will declare the car as historic significance and you then pay only 5% of the buying price of the car as VAT. Just mention to the agents that cos the car is over 30yrs old you get to pay a lower VAT than the usual 20% (i thinks its now 20%) and ask them for that form. 

It can take up to 8 weeks for the car to land. Once youve paid your shipping agent fees and VAT you can arrange collection of the car. I would advise against driving the car home as it wont be road legal, have no MOT or insurance. Also, you will need to go over a few things before attempting to start the car. 

It sounds daunting but it really is very straight forward. Ive never imported a car before. I can send you info on how to fill out forms too.
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
That would be great thanks.
Did you arrange shipping insurance through BHCC as well?

No totally agree, with everything I've read over the past few months on this board, DMCtalk and Facebook groups I don't plan to start the car up until its had a full MOT / Service and fuel lines have been cleaned.

What website's other than BHCC did you keep an eye on?
Owner of VIN #6706
Yes but i think you need to ask them for insurance. I think its like 5% of the cars value. Cant remember how its worked out but always advisable to get some.

Good to see someone actually doing a little research. If you can meet up with an owner to pick their brains thats always a help. Majority of owners are happy to help where they can. If the fuel lines are still original, my advice is to get them changed. Running original lines is what can cause a fire. Still, these sort of things you can worry about once you have the car. Just keep them and other bits and pieces in mind when looking to buy one and factor in these upgrades into your budget.

I dont tend to keep an eye on sites really since im an owner now. Don't think I ever really did. I tend to have a look at ones that crop up in my facebook newsfeed or appear on the forums. When i bought my car i didnt think I was in the market for one. Someone posted a link to a car on bhcc, i thought i would have a look. I was kinda surprised i could of bought it but felt it wasnt quite right. My whole budget would have gone just getting it from there to my drive. I felt i needed a little extra cash in the bank for parts/repairs.

I decided to look at the other cars they had. One, a couple of grand cheaper, i thought was a better choice. Frame and engine looked better than the more expensive one. I spoke with a couple other owners and we all agreed it was a very good base car for a restoration, whether it ran or not. We also agreed, like i said to you earlier, i could easily sell it if i felt it was too much for me. I just went for it and once i got the car running, i found i had bought a good car. 

Most cars i see for sale are in the states. Ones do pop up in the uk but they are good examples and have a high asking price (£30k+). I dont know what your budget is but importing is gonna be the cheaper option.
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
Welcome to the forum, Lots & Lots of very good advice you have been given above. Many cars have come to the UK from BHCC and other than an incident this year where parts have 'allegedly' gone missing from a car then I have never known any issues with them. They tell you what you want and send any pics that you want. However they don't always volunteer any information you don't ask for! As for the car that had parts 'stolen' from it I still don't understand it a lot of parts were not stolen a lot were simply broken but in the process destroyed the parts, I suspect we will never know!
All down to your budget, cars crop up some are just advertised within the club but the majority are advertised everywhere nowadays.  It's down to what you want, do you want a car you can use immediately or one that you have to put work (and money) in to prior to use. These cars can suck up money if not used for a long time and even more so if you have to pay someone to do the work. 
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(13 Aug 2019, 13:35)DMCLee Wrote: Thanks Rissy

From West Bromwich but never seen any Delorean's around here. I did spot one on a trailer heading towards liverpool last December. Anyone on here?

I'm not that far along the road from you in Rugby. i've had my D' around a few streets in Brum a couple of times, but i'll admit it's a rarity. Although i'm well versed with the M6 right through Brum in my car.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Hi Rissy. I'm not that far away from you in kenilworth. I got my delorean at the classic car auctions at the classic car restoration show at the nec a few months ago (wasn't thinking I would have a chance about buying one but no one bid on it!). They have deloreans a few times and normally go for less than ebay, last one went for 24k, it's good as they're uk ready. There next auction is in October.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
(14 Aug 2019, 21:39)acmetowers Wrote: Hi Rissy. I'm not that far away from you in kenilworth. I got my delorean at the classic car auctions at the classic car restoration show at the nec a few months ago (wasn't thinking I would have a chance about buying one but no one bid on it!). They have deloreans a few times and normally go for less than ebay, last one went for 24k, it's good as they're uk ready. There next auction is in October.

Congrats on the purchase! Did you have the buyers premium and VAT on top at the auctions?
Owner of VIN #6706
The 24k was the sale price including any cost. If you go to their site you can see the results for previous auctions. If you see a black one that's mine!

(13 Aug 2019, 20:31)Chris Williams Wrote: Welcome to the forum, Lots & Lots of very good advice you have been given above. Many cars have come to the UK from BHCC and other than an incident this year where parts have 'allegedly' gone missing from a car then I have never known any issues with them. They tell you what you want and send any pics that you want. However they don't always volunteer any information you don't ask for! As for the car that had parts 'stolen' from it I still don't understand it a lot of parts were not stolen a lot were simply broken but in the process destroyed the parts, I suspect we will never know!
All down to your budget, cars crop up some are just advertised within the club but the majority are advertised everywhere nowadays.  It's down to what you want, do you want a car you can use immediately or one that you have to put work (and money) in to prior to use. These cars can suck up money if not used for a long time and even more so if you have to pay someone to do the work. 
Chris

Thanks Chris. I was surprised myself when I heard what 'allegedly' had gone on at BHCC. Spoke with John on the phone a few times and he was extremely helpful, send videos of the car running and driving down the street. Decided against purchasing as the frame's epoxy coating was missing and there was quite a lot of rust underneath. Not sure how easy it is to fix this issue and the cost involved. 

I'd be over with a car like DMC1983 / Ryan has purchased but thats without knowing what the purchase price was. Happy to grab a project car and gradually fix, replace and improve over time.

(14 Aug 2019, 22:00)acmetowers Wrote: The 24k was the sale price including any cost. If you go to their site you can see the results for previous auctions. If you see a black one that's mine!

Even better when you're not in a bidding war with someone! I've had a look on the website https://www.necrestorationshow.com/classic-car-auctions and can't find any past auctions but it does show the next auction takes place in March 2020?
Owner of VIN #6706