Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheel nut torque value?
Hi all - what value do people tend to use for wheel nut torque? 

I've seen it at 80nm and 100nm in the manual and I'm not sure which to use. 

Cheers!
#1373 - Black, Manual, Gas Flap

"Marty: Wait a minute, wait a minute, Doc, are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a delorean?

Doc: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car why not do it with some style..."
I thought it was less actually. thought it was 60-70lb depending on what bit of the manual you read. 80-90 odd Nm IIRC
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Interestingly, it give both lbft and nm values in both places, and they don't convert very accurately!

On page A:03:01 it says 60 lbft - 80nm
On page L:12:01 it say 100nm, with 70 lbft in brackets.

Both conversions aren't exact, as 60 lbft is actually 81.35nm, and 70 lbft is 94.9nm

What does everybody here use?

"Marty: Wait a minute, wait a minute, Doc, are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a delorean?

Doc: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car why not do it with some style..."
I always torque mine to at least 100NM. I remember this as my Civic and BMW are 10 and 20 higher, so it's an easy thing to remember for me.

100NM for the D'
110NM for the Civic
120NM for the BMW

As a recommended good practice, especially with the number of people experiencing wheels literally falling off over the past few years, every time you remove and replace a wheel, you should torque it up, and then check it again after about 50-100 miles of driving to make sure the settling process hasn't resulted in any studs loosening off. I've always done this as a check, recommended by my late Uncle Ian - genius car mechanic and garage business owner. If nothing else, it gives peace of mind and security in confidence in your own DIY practices involving removing wheels, and it literally takes minutes to do, so not really a good excuse not to.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Good advice Rissy cheers!

I decided to split the difference and use 90nm. Will check them again after doing some driving.