Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Start up attempt #2 of vin 11789
With my restoration of vin 11789, the latest state of play is that I had installed all the new injectors after flushing fuel through all the lines. I checked delivery of the fuel using the "Bottle Test" and all was good.

Then bloody "Murphy's Law!" kicked in and one banjo bolt snapped on the metering head, THE last one too!!
- I'll need to order a replacement as I don't have a spare banjo.

My intention was just to blip the engine over - I still hadn't filled it back up with water for that so on Sunday I checked all hose clamps - every one had been replaced  along with new water pipes. , thermostat, water pump etc.

So I filled it up through the expansion tank ,with the top (small) pipe off the top of the rad and the bleed nipple open.

After tightening the front rad pipe, I heard the dreaded  drip drip - quite a bit actually, coming from the "screw in" otterstat .

I had to grind down a 60 year old spanner to fit it and had to wedge the ali coolant pipe with pieces of wood so that I could get some "torque" on the otterstat.

That one was sorted .. then water was spilling out of the bleed nipple - I'd tightened it but still it poured out.

It was a nipple that just kept on "giving". I tried it again adding a copper washer - nope the brand new bleed nipple is SNAFU.

So I installed the original brass one, much better ... and jobs a good un. 

A small weep then showed up around the thermostat - where it mated to the water pump - so I had to take the horns off - nip up the bolts - there was still a small weep and I'll check again tomorrow . I may even contemplate using some gasket sealant !!! .. but am loath to do so?

Finally after fixing an earth problem I bridged the otterstat wires and the fans came on - cool [Image: 1f642.png][Image: 1f642.png]

Almost there!!!
Vin 11789 (probably #50 of the Middle East batch of 50)
Wow - bit of the up and downs there Kev!

Sounds like you’re coming along nicely though. Well done.
When she’s running, get a YouTube clip up for us Smile

Tris
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
(08 May 2018, 17:39)TristanC Wrote: Wow - bit of the up and downs there Kev!

Sounds like you’re coming along nicely though. Well done.
When she’s running, get a YouTube clip up for us Smile

Tris

Cheers Tris I will. I'm doing some wiring repairs now I have the flux. 

I have the hazards working but not the indicators.

The parts I need have been posted today.
Vin 11789 (probably #50 of the Middle East batch of 50)