Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#2292 New engine
Best of luck; got mine on a stand and will be flipping it over this weekend to pop the sump off. The cam lobes are worn (so is my car a 21,000 miler or 121,000 miler? The frame condition would suggest 21..) so if the crank, bearings or anything else is crap, then it goes in the bin. Then I'm with you on "what's next?".
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

I think if memory is correct some (inc all the PRV variants) did suffer from cam wear. Some dim memory thinks there was a hardening issue with some (but don't quote me)! I do have a load of spare cams from various PRV's if your stuck.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks Chris; I will probably take you up on that if the rest is "good". I'll know tomorrow afternoon/Sunday. I'm hoping it is - as much as a newer engine is exciting, I have a lot to spend money on and engineering a new solution isn't top of my list yet... yet.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

Quote:Thanks Chris; I will probably take you up on that if the rest is "good". I'll know tomorrow afternoon/Sunday. I'm hoping it is - as much as a newer engine is exciting, I have a lot to spend money on and engineering a new solution isn't top of my list yet... yet
No prob, happy to send you a couple to compare (foc) and if there any good you can work from there. Whilst I'm happy to stick with the original PRV ( have umpteen spare blocks) I like what Claire's trying to do with the modern version and it will be interesting to see the engineering behind it. Dependent on the bell housing issue that I 'think' Claire and Phil have found a possible solution to it may not be a hugely expensive conversion (fingers crossed) I look forward to seeing it happen (as time/space allow!)
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Agreed - and if it's simple, we can adopt it - it's just someone trying it "first".
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

hi guys, cheers for the support. The bell housing will need an adaptor plate, but again this wont be a major issue and RichH has a mate
with a machine shop Wink
The beauty of a complete donor car is I can not only have the engine, but also all the modern aircon system, and maybe even toys like heated seats and
cruise control.
Phill is of the opinion, that if we can get it to work on my car, then he'll go the same route on Sorbet, however he is 'lucky' to have an automatic, as that
means a wider choice of donor cars, as it then takes in not only Peugeot 406/607/407, but also Renault Laguna II, Citroen C5/Xantia. Cars like the Laguna
have the 5spd automatic with optional 'manual mode', now it would be lovely to have that gearbox in the De - our Avantime runs the 3.0 24v with that gearbox,
and is around 235hp Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I certainly can't argue with the sentiment. Those of us that'll be dead and buried ours - well, who cares what engine and gearbox it runs? If it's reliable, do it.

Back allowing (it's been crap the past week) I should have mine in bits on Saturday. If it's rubbish but salvageable, I'll probably be copying you and selling my lump off. Someone will have it Tongue
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

Quote:I'll probably be copying you and selling my lump off. Someone will have it [Image: tongue.png]
First dibs mate, I can use it for keeping another owners car on the road!
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
well I'll be selling #2292's engine complete when we eventually take it out, it had a 'Stage 1' upgrade by Martin in 2006, had the
oil pump changed at the same time, plus it had 2 refurbished cylinder heads from PRV guru Darren Bowker in 2003 - I think these
were from a Volvo 760 if memory serves. I also had a custom water pump pulley made in 2003, and one of the bolt holes has a
spark plug in it, as we couldn't find a bolt to fit - its always been quite a talking point at car shows lol.

Obviously there's just the *small matter* of the rotten block, but the top end is good if nowt else - we also replaced the crank pulley
on the engine after it got damaged in a rear end shunt.
well, aided by my trusty Mk2 Espace, 'Flopsy' is now in position in the back of our new garage, ready for her frame sep and engine transplant.

The garage is coming on, we now have an electric roller door on the front, so it now looks less like a glorified car port lol

Just need to sort out UPVC fascias, and decide on the cladding for the sides - which considering recent events, is something of a talking point..... Once its all done, we just need Mr Building Inspector to sign it off and jobs a goodun as they say. Phill will of course sort out all the lighting and electrics too. Once the garage is done, he can sort out building his new Man Cave behind it. Its possible, that work on #2292 may not commence until 2018, ideally we need to strip and get rid of the scrap Espace Quadra lurking on our driveway before we buy another car to break. However, should a decent 406 coupe with the 210hp engine turn up, we may have to bite the bullet and snap it up - I can always smoke around in it and make sure the engine is ok Wink
Great that things are moving on Claire...30 mins ago I must have driven past your place on my way back from a 'prom'...remember you put them my way about 6 months ago. I fully intended to stop and have a chat, but my bladder was full and my fuel tank nearly empty, and I just couldn't spot your house...thinking about it, I bet it was right next to all that wooden shuttering. 15mins later I tooted my horn at Richards car, as I sped up the hill to the filling station!
Back safe and sound now  with one very happy young man...William safely delivered to his Prom.

What about my new Motor?  Chief Inspector Barnaby's Rover 75 in Raven Black! Jolly exciting...

Attached Files Image(s)

Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
ah glad you were able to help William out with his prom ride, he's a lovely lad and really enthusiastic.
I like watching Midsomer Murders, but I'm on the later series where they have Volvo's now.

ok.......drum roll...... WE HAVE AN UPDATE!!!
We have located a donor car at long last.  2001 Y reg 406 Coupe with the all important manual gearbox, for the princely sum of £395 Big Grin
We are picking it up this Saturday.  Its got the later 'D9' version of the engine with 210hp.
Whilst I 'get' folks who go on about the car not being original, value affected, etc, that doesn't concern me.  I'm never going to sell the car, and I want something I can drive and enjoy, rather then just stare at because its broken (again).

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice work Claire; hope it goes well. I look forward to reading the "how to" Smile
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

210 BHP, thats good Claire. I too am looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Good Luck. Phill's much cleverer that me at all that sort of stuff.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Not sure if you have seen this over on DMCTalk Phill/Claire? May be a little help: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15573-...pter-plate
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584