Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LED friendly Flasher Relay and Capacitor
Hello Everyone

I will be looking into an issue with my indicators and Hazards this weekend (both fuses are ok - just get a single click then nothing), I have ordered a LED friendly Relay CF13 GL-02, which may not arrive in time but I will still be looking into the issue.

My question is- when I install the new relay can I remove the 2.2 uF capacitor associated with the old Flasher relay. My understanding is that it is part of the flasher circuit and dictates the cycle time of the old flasher relay, but the new one is more 'digital' and will flash at the correct times regardless of the load.

Andy Smith
Member #887
VIN #3592
The 2.2uF capacitor is for noise supression, nothing to do with the flasher. You'll find the car is covered in them. It was a (vain) attempt to reduce the amount of noise the Craig radio picked up.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
(28 Jan 2016, 13:36)Rich H Wrote: The 2.2uF capacitor is for noise supression, nothing to do with the flasher. You'll find the car is covered in them. It was a (vain) attempt to reduce the amount of noise the Craig radio picked up.

Rich
Thanks for that. Takes me back in time remembering interference on radios.

Andy Smith
(28 Jan 2016, 11:14)andys Wrote: I have ordered a LED friendly Relay CF13 GL-02, which may not arrive in time but I will still be looking into the issue.

You'd be better getting a CF14 JL-02 because it has the "+" and the "-" the correct way round for a straight swap out of the original flasher relay (plug and play).  Otherwise you'll have to swap over the "+" and "-" wires which go into the terminal block which holds the relay.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Rissy
thanks for this, I could be wrong, as I am a newbie in the DeLorean scene but I think they have the same pinout. I got the CF-13 GL-02 part number off "another" website.

It looks the same from the images I have seen.

But thanks anyway and I will keep this in mind anyway.

Andy Smith
Apologies.  I thought the "G" was a typo.  I wasn't aware of this variant.  The CF14 JL02 seems to have the same arrangement as your proposed unit.  The CF13 JL02 has the positive and negative pins swapped in position.  (Ask me how I know)  Wink

Carry on. Lol!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
(30 Jan 2016, 10:39)Rissy Wrote: Apologies.  I thought the "G" was a typo.  I wasn't aware of this variant.  The CF14 JL02 seems to have the same arrangement as your proposed unit.  The CF13 JL02 has the positive and negative pins swapped in position.  (Ask me how I know)  Wink

Carry on. Lol!

Rissy
Swapped relay out and it cured the indicator and hazards - Result.