Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for an auto / Import Duty and Taxes Question
You have to pay 10% duty on the price of the car + shipping and then VAT on top of that - or 29.25%

Shipping will cost you between 500 - 1000GBP. It depends on the cars location in the States, where it goes to in the UK and the company you use
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
very true mate, Flopsy cost £900 to ship from Long Beach California - and that included picking her up as a non runner from San Diego and taking her to the docks.

Any news on the bits your waiting for yet? Sad Hope you get them in time for next week. :?
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
RichH Wrote:You have to pay 10% duty on the price of the car + shipping and then VAT on top of that - or 29.25%

Shipping will cost you between 500 - 1000GBP. It depends on the cars location in the States, where it goes to in the UK and the company you use

Are we sure about the import duty what with the car being made in the UK and so 'paid for' 25 years ago.

I have heard of various people not having to pay this. Maybe Darren from PJGrady can shed some light on this ?
Thanks Mike,

Yes - that's correct - you do NOT need to pay the 10% duty - as the car was manufactured within Great Britain - so it's classed as a reimport - and you pay £50 admin fee (plus the usual 17.5% VAT).

Shipping normally costs £1500 - plus whatever your VAT is.

You have to say the right things on the right forms to ensure you get your discounted duty...but it's legitimate.

Always here to help if anyone needs advice in this area...

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
aron

if you make it to euro tec there will be two people you might want to talk to one been pj grady chris/darren or ed uding abou the auto ed is a little mad on auto as when i went over there a few months ago ony seen one manual over there Big Grin

welcome to the club

an old dj awating to bring back memories
Idea I think i will get my license changed to a manual, so i am not limited to a small no. of D's
There's a automatic for sale right here in Holland.
In very good condition inside and out..seen it myself.
Only it doesn't has a gasflap, but what the...

Ask Ed Uding for more about the car or i can PM you
the guys mailaddress who ownes it.

Greetz..
Mr.5200
Yes I had heard about the 10% being waived as the car was made in the UK but I didn't mention it as it seems to be a very mysterious hearsay.

Can someone do a write up on exactly how to get out out of paying this duty for the benefit of everyone?
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Aaron Wrote:Idea I think i will get my license changed to a manual, so i am not limited to a small no. of D's
I worked with a lady once who had an automatic only licence. When she wanted to add manual, she had to take driving lessons and then go through the driving test again - basically to show she was capable of driving a car with a manual gearbox. OMG, imagine having to take your driving test again! Shock

Mind you, I remember the first time I drove an automatic car about 15 years ago - it totally threw me not having to do anything with my left leg! :lol: And when I drove an automatic hire car in the USA, I pulled into the hotel car park and stamped on the brakes as I went for the non existent clutch pedal! :oops: I've got more used to automatics now, as Rapey and Phill's Avi are auto's, plus virtually all of the Mercs I drive at work are auto's too.

Good luck with your search for a car Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Aaron Wrote:Idea I think i will get my license changed to a manual, so i am not limited to a small no. of D's

There are actually a fairly large number of autos around especially in the UK, thats not the 'problem' what it is, its the amount of D's for sale at any one time. I know the last 4 cars for sale on our website sold very quickly.

There is definatley becoming a shortage of cars for sale over here, i have again had two calls in the last 3 days alone asking about cars for sale .
[quote="Claire Usher"]
Mind you, I remember the first time I drove an automatic car about 15 years ago - it totally threw me not having to do anything with my left leg! :lol: And when I drove an automatic hire car in the USA, I pulled into the hotel car park and stamped on the brakes as I went for the non existent clutch pedal! :oops:

ha ha been there Claire i done that in a renault 25 once and nearly ate the steering wheel, it frightened the life out of me, mind you i only did it the once Smile TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Hi,

Just to let you know, i got a winning bid on eBay for an auto ($8200).

I writing to ask for advice on importing.

Thanks
Aaron May

DOC: 573
VIN: 16723 - the LPG delorean

1999 Corsa 1.2L GLS Auto

The Wii-Master!
well done, i got mine 3 years ago but things have changed with importing, i know Darren at PJ Grady Europe is one of the members that knows what he is talking about, so let the fun begin TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Aaron Wrote:Hi,

Just to let you know, i got a winning bid on eBay for an auto ($8200).

I writing to ask for advice on importing.

Thanks

I'm back to looking for an auto, with 9000 quid in my pocket :!:

P.S. does quoting myself make me crazy?
Aaron May

DOC: 573
VIN: 16723 - the LPG delorean

1999 Corsa 1.2L GLS Auto

The Wii-Master!
maybe Wink

sorry looks like your ebay deal fell through Sad

Cheapest car i know of in the UK is £13k .....sorry bud