Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do members hire their DeLorean for events
Hello,

I really want to get a DeLorean but my wife says it needs to help pay for itself! Do members have much success hiring their DeLorean for events, weddings, ect? Is there much of a demand for it? If so how much can you expect to make per wedding ect?

Many thanks, Stephen
I quite like the idea of weddings aswell, and now I've got my seats done my interior is looking abit more presentable.
Obviously TimeMachines are the real hire stars but I was speaking to a standard D owner the other day and he seemed to do a lot of events. Although it was much more to do with showing/introducing the car to people, rather than a real money earner.
The problem I can see with the Delorean is you can only carry one person, on weddings people tend to want to be/travel together. The only option seems to be maybe bringing the groom to the church and prop for the wedding photo shoot.
Quote:I really want to get a DeLorean but my wife says it needs to help pay for itself! Do members have much success hiring their DeLorean for events, weddings, ect? Is there much of a demand for it? If so how much can you expect to make per wedding ect?
Depends how much you want to do and where your located. Lots of people do hire out for events/weddings Etc. I don't think you can make a living out of it but it certainly will help to cover running costs if not cover them.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
we make enough renting ours out for local weddings and stuff each year to cover
their general upkeep (tax, etc), and also put money towards attending the annual
DOC-UK Club Event (not cheap when you have 2 DeLoreans!)
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
How does it work with insurance Claire?
What sort of percentage increase over standard classic car insurance was the wedding cover for you?
To be legally able to be used for "hire & reward" you have to be registered with your local authority, taxman and your National Insurance Status for Self Employment, and your Vehicle Insurance company and Public Liability Insurance (separate insurance provider to main car insurance required by law)
This is especially applicable to the Delorean under a section for LHD vehicles.
Your local authority will require CRB checks on you too.
Static display is easy, you're covered by club liability insurance if its a club event. If its not a club event and you are being paid for statically displaying your car you require your own public liability insurance. The minute you drive with a fair paying (or for some other reward) passenger the law changes significantly.
I've been doing wedding hire for over 20 years now and it's costly to start, which is why most people doing the "odd job" do it on a wing and a prayer. Just be careful with what you do. I have seen local police & council swoop on prom cars and outside registry offices and impound cars of those who don't have the correct insurance and approvals. I have also had a bride try and sue me for her dress rubbing against the car tyre as she got out and making it dirty (on a rainy day!). She wanted £1000's to replace the dress and re stage the photos with her guests at the venue. This is why you need liability insurance.
VIN 4532

DOC-574
You also need a "contract" of hire form drawing up that offers a guide (that can still be legally challenged) of where the liabilities stop.
Most classic insurance will offer a nominal £10 a wedding charge for the car insurance, the liability cost depends on how many weddings you tell them you plan to do and nominally starts around £100. Legally you need a 7 day grace before the hire date otherwise you open another can of worms on requiring a Hackney plate. For example, any job needs to be booked and signed for at least 7 days before the event.
At the end of the day you make your own choice but ignorance is no excuse for the law.
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Blooming Heck Darren…..sounds like a whole can of worms!! Cry
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
:lol: Its a good thing we live in a country of free enterprise, otherwise there might be a lot of red tape!! :lol:
I always thought, from previous discussions on this topic, that it was only prom cars
that needed a Hackney Licence, and that wedding/funerals were exempt (I'm sure I read
it in the FBHVC magazine).

We've got a Classic/Motor Trade Policy and £5m PLI as Phill has his own Ltd Company.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
hires I find will only pay for the upkeep of the car , tax / insurance / parts etc... It will not pay for the car. A BTTF car is a different story...

you would also need to understand and accept an inevitable fact...lets say you do a wedding hire . You will have the entire congregation looking to sit in the car & have their photo taken.... something will get damaged eventually . I had a kid break the flasher stalk off the column , large feet getting out chipping the vinyl off the dash and the best one is kids standing on the new leathers you just spent a fortune on whilst the parents look on . I had a girl put her heels on the dash passenger side only to put a hole in the dash board pad. If you close the doors people will walk straight up to the car open the doors & sit in.
So if you are emotionally attached to the car...I wouldn't recommend hires. Its unreal some people don't give a Sh%t and it can be absolutely soul destroying to say the least...making you come across as arrogant p&%&k & over protective of the car.

answer to your question ...no, hire doesn't pay Imo... all aside the car is a sure sound investment.
Quote:hires I find will only pay for the upkeep of the car , tax / insurance / parts etc... It will not pay for the car. A BTTF car is a different story...
Agreed, however with possibly 10-12 BTTF cars chasing the work even these may find there's not enough work after this year Sad
Usually I have not had to much trouble on the odd hire jobs that I do 'most' people are respectful even at the NEC where 100k people visit 'most' treat the cars with respect. Yes you will get the odd idiot but you will get that in Tesco's car park as well!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584