Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Cars @ BHCC
Project DeLorean over at BHCC. Painted, you may wish to get better chassis pics as well: http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981 ... c-4082.htm seems prices are really on the way up for projects now Sad
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
i dont mind that paint job at all, usual what is it hiding though!
I think it looks good. I'd buy it (I'm not allowed though). If it runs, even better.

The $33k one though - that looks rough, but appears to be pricey as it has only 1500 miles on it; like that even matters!
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

Be nice to have a poke round. Interior looks tidy but that paint job is very suspect to be worked out for covering side damage & don't like the look of that front chassis.
I've said it before & many disagree but rising values are not a good thing for the enthusiast.
It looks pretty good to me……at that price.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
88mph Wrote:I've said it before & many disagree but rising values are not a good thing for the enthusiast.

WHY ??

Very positive in my opinion with rising values.
Its just my opinion, my car owes me about £20k, if I had $67k (see latest non-runner) in it, would I be planning to drive it to Italy, leaving it parked in hotels/cities, would my insurance cost 3/4 times as much, would any spare parts cost me twice as much?
Would I be able to justify/afford having a Delorean? Probable not.
88mph Wrote:Its just my opinion, my car owes me about £20k, if I had $67k (see latest non-runner) in it, would I be planning to drive it to Italy, leaving it parked in hotels/cities, would my insurance cost 3/4 times as much, would any spare parts cost me twice as much?
Would I be able to justify/afford having a Delorean? Probable not.

You have that all wrong I'm afraid (you are entitled to your opinion though). What YOU believe your car is worth is one thing. The market, another. Parts, again another - the DeLorean and her parts are already in a league of their own (unless you know what you're buying) and rival some sought-after cars.
DeLoreans, like many classics, don't lose value (or accrue it to some degree) through use. Would I park ANY DeLorean on the street? Personally, no. Some do though. I wouldn't park my Monaro on the street - to me it's worth a small fortune.

The thing is, cars like most things, go in and out of fashion. An E-Type 10 years ago was a bargain; today they are not. They have doubled/tripled in value and for no good reason. Classics are becoming the investment they never were, and that is being reflected in every marque. The DeLorean is living through an interesting time. 30 years of this, 30 years of that. New documentaries, shows, movies - they are popping up all over. That will go quiet though - but it won't affect values so much in my opinion. I think they're worth exactly what they were 10 years ago (adjusted for inflation and the usual gumph).

Mind you, I didn't buy my third car for its value. I bought it because I love DeLoreans and wanted a project. After this I have to convince my long-suffering wife if I can restore an old 911 Tongue
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

Interesting twin Turbo project car: http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1982 ... c-4158.htm
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Pictures are very close to mine - even the dash is the same. Just with a turbo setup...

Well worth a look for a restoration (I'd be tempted to dump the turbo(s) though).

Edit: Just had a closer look. It's missing the rear engine cover - something is up with that rear quarter area (tub). Perhaps some damage? Really hard to tell as it also looks like reflection (shiny). A fair bit of gubbins missing atop the engine too... something went wrong, like mine, was attempted a repair that failed, and here it is. I'd assume the worst in the engine department.

I'd still buy it Tongue
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

I agree Dan and it reminds me vividly of 'Frenchy'……which also had been turbo charged and I only bought that in the certain knowledge that Dave H had a brand new engine on one side for me……which I needed! Frenchy was in much better condition that this car, having spent many years in a dark garage in Paris. Its interior was like new.

But never-the-less. i'd still consider this car as a project. (I only include pictures because some folk might find them interesting)
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
What VIN is Frenchy, Chris?
If you're gonna build a timemachine, why not do it with style !
http://www.deloreanclubbelgium.eu
Always happy to see pics, Chris!

We're (almost) lucky the DeLorean is so simple underneath that seductive body - the engine is almost a throw-way unit (it isn't, but neither is it complicated enough to worry much)
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

Yes Dan they are quite simple, but a rotten chassis frame would worry me, personally i'm getting too old for a 'body off' restoration.

……Andy ….. 3866, as far as I know Frenchy is still with its 'airline pilot' owner, Mat in the south of England.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks for the info, Chris, always nice to see pictures from your huge 'archive'... :-)