Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot air
Guys,

Quick question. If I'm understanding the settings on my centre console correctly, the only 2 settings where I should get Hot Air in the cabin are 'Heater' and 'Bi Level'. Heater blows hot air in to the foot wells? If so how hot are we talking in your experience? Is it a notable temperature increase?

Thanks in advance,
Rich
Vin 5921
I 'think' thats correct yes. But I suppose it depends on how much (a) air flow there is through the matrix, often blocked from leaves/crud Etc and (b) how blocked the inside of the matrix is I suppose. Is the fan moving in the right direction as well? again I understand some of the aftermarket fans ran backwards!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris,

The fan is defiantly working. I'm getting air flow. Just wondering how hot other peoples hot air has been in their experience.

Rich
Vin 5921
How do we check/clean out any leaves/dirty? Where is air intake?
See this topic about the intake location and how you can help reduce clogging:-

Air intake mesh modification
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4231&p=37949&hilit=mesh#p37949

Shameless plug but I might have enough mesh left to do one or two more cars... :wink:
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
There is a gap where the heater matrix pipes enter the rear of the heater box and this is filled originally by a piece of foam which comes unstuck and causes a "hot air leak" into the footwell even when the heater is set to fully cold.

Even if your AC isn't working, by setting it to "max" you *should* be able to shut off the water feed to the heater matrix (this is what the valve down the front of the engine bay does). But this also sets the air to recirculate.

It's not too difficult to reach behind there, rip out the old piece of foam and stick something else in its place.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Martin's referring to this:-
aircon diagram
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=267&p=1881&hilit=foam#p1881
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Hey Martin,

Im not sure I have Hot water Circulating to the Matrix. Taking the pipes off by the passenger wheel no water moving. If I put a hose on the pipes water flows through the Matrix. I have also had the vacuum controller valve off in the rear of the engine bay and switching it allows me to blow air though it and shut air flow off. Bit stumped as the why no water flow.

Rich
Vin 5921
The valve should allow flow and when activated with vacuum, shuts it off. Try hooking up mains water or compressed air if you have it to each of the feeds to the matrix in turn and blast then out. I've seen them get gummed up to the point of blockage if the cooling system wasn't properly maintained at some point.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Yeah, We have had the hose pipe on the feed and return from to the matrix. Water flowing through the Matrix fine.

With the Valve is connected, moving the level one way allows air flow through. Closing it the other stops ait flow. So Im assuming my valve is fine also.

(On a side not, I think I randomly found a video of you doing home brew on youtube!)
Vin 5921
Quote:With the Valve is connected, moving the level one way allows air flow through. Closing it the other stops ait flow. So Im assuming my valve is fine also

If your mode switch is faulty, the valve may be being closed when it's not supposed to be. Disconnect the valve from the vacuum pipe entirely. This will leave the valve open and 'should' allow water to the matrix. The valve should only close on the MAX setting.

The heater water supply should flow all the time. You might have a blocked matrix supply hose or even return hose, though I've never heard of this happening to anyone. If you disconnect them at the engine end, can you blow through those pipes?
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.