Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Special T Auto Gas-strut sets - Group Buy maybe?
Hi folks,

I notice Special T Auto are doing a complete set of all 6 gas struts for $79, which seems like a bargain. They also state that they will do a club discount to anyone ordering 5 sets or more - which got me thinking:

1. Has anyone had a set/ are they any good
2. Does anyone else want 'in' on a group order?
3. By the time we have posted them to each other around the UK will the savings be worth it?!

Cheers all, Rich
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
I have his door struts that I fitted 2 years ago and there all fine and dandy! I think he's doing a special due to Tom in Poland having some done. I don't need any at the moment but sounds a good idea if there's enough interest.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I bought a set and must say I am very very happy with them, doors now open fully and softly as they get near the top. extremely good price and quality.
Doing business with Hervey is rolling the dice. You may or may or may not get your order. If you call to inquire about a problem you may not get cussed out.

I will sell my DeLorean before I ever give another dollar to Special T.
Quote:Doing business with Hervey is rolling the dice. You may or may or may not get your order.
LOL, I have never (yet!) had issues myself but have read about many who have. He seems to have got on top of shipping things now as he has some one working for him dealing with all this.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
If the club wants to start selling struts, I'd be happy to share my source from back in the early 00's. I think they came down to about £10 per strut in sufficient quantity.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
I certainly need new struts all round, but don't particularly want to deal with Hervey again...
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
I had to buy louvre struts last year. I bought Eds ones from the Euro Club site. Very pleased with them. I'm probably looking at having to do my boot and doors sometime too (although right now they're still usable, especially in summer, or at least they were last summer). If no other solution, then I'll buy Eds stuff again, otherwise I'd be tempted by what Martin can bring to the table. I wouldn't buy from the U.S. Because I'm fed up paying out horrific delivery charges and robbing government tax charges.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
I bought a set of Special T's door struts a couple of years ago.

I can vouch for their longevity but I find them to be a bit vicious. They throw the doors up very quickly and the braking effect is so sudden it's almost as bad as the door simply hitting the end of the struts travel. I generally have to hold the door back if the weather is hot.

The Houston struts I had when I first got the D lasted ages and gave a lovely soft opening - I don't know if they are still as good though.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Hi guys - ought to update this following my initial post. As there wasn't much other interest, and only minimal savings, I went ahead and ordered, as they had to be worth a punt at that price - and had them in my hands about 5 days later all the way from the States, no fuss, no airs and graces, just well wrapped in newspaper (Wall St Journal, no less!!) in a stout cardboard box.

They ARE a bit powerful on the doors, I have to give you that Rich, but they're all good and I now have a decent matched set and things stay up as appropriate (erm)...

I have heard of the 'Stabilus ' brand before, they aren't fly-by-nights.

I don't have any vested interests in any direction, but was happy with the purchase form all aspects.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
How much all together in the end Rich? From order to "in your hand"?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Good question - and honest answer is that I don't know yet! Customs haven't sent their request for their little 'top-up', to date, I know that much. TBH I can't even remember what account I paid for them out of, so not immediately easy to check - will report back when I find out what the total was...!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Just interested as a comparison, that's all.

Right now, for a pair of door struts only, from Ed, you're looking at about £100. So £50 ish each. All in. (Cost and delivery)

Interestingly enough, the Eurotec club have full vehicle sets (so louvres, doors and bonnet) for £114!! Amazing (or is that a typo?)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
If Rich's ones came via USPS they have 'probably' slipped in without charges. I purchased one of his new fuel pumps to try recently and that came in without being slapped with any charges. He seems to be much better of late at sending stuff/organising things now he has someone working for him dealing with this side of it.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
ha i tried to buy some bits off that special T and he was so hard to communicate with went all preachy and ended up spending money elsewhere.

I need to see another delorean as my doors fire up and look like they have new strutts, ha just read the web address on it and these are his. I dont like them at all!