Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mint 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 with only 13K miles
My question is a car not driven so much would it have some dry rubber parts issues? like seals and hoses?

[Image: 640x427xMint,P201983,P20DeLorean,P20DMC-...57_CUb.jpg]

From the article:
This particular DMC-12 was driven for just 13,183 miles (21,215 km) and has the original rear-mounted V6 2.8-liter engine developing 129 bhp (96 kW) at 5,500 rpm and 207 Nm (153 lb-ft) at 2,750 rpm. It’s the version equipped with a five-speed manual gearbox, but DeLorean also sold the model with a three-speed automatic transmission.

13 pictures and full article

The definite answer is........... maybe.
A car driven every day for 32 years may need/will have had pipes and hoses replaced.
Can you not view it?
With what's been done there should not be much left to go wrong.........however..........it's still a 30 year old car, set aside a small sum for the odd hose/angle drive/otterstat/whatever that 'probably' will fail in the first few months/year and you should be OK.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
the car in the pics looks like restored, it has Ed's shocks and outriggers, DPI spec1 exhaust and so on...
BABIS Wrote:the car in the pics looks like restored, it has Ed's shocks and outriggers, DPI spec1 exhaust and so on...

No safety retaining washer on the back of the rear shock tho I notice...

a
Hi ...will give you my experience of this, last year I resurrected a Delorean 30k mls & Lotus Esprit 54k mls from dry garages both parked up for nearly ten years.
Both required brake overhauls , pistons sticking ,fuel pipes ,filters beather pipes steering relay uj's just to get them driving ..the D had to have the fuel maifold stripped to free out the plunger....a few weeks later more work....answer to your question from my experience Yes it WILL need work & WILL be a work in progress whilst regular mileage is being put up until all the bugs are sorted.

If your looking for a driver car buy a sorted regular driver.... although this above car looks great & is a nice museum piece it will need lots of babysitting when mileage goes on it. A freind of mine has a rare 1996 Lotus Esprit museum piece ...show car Shock ...last time he had it out it snapped a rear spring car only has 12k mls on it..... :roll:
A regular maintained driver all the way IMO ...otherwise you'll spend every Saturday doing jobs when you could be driving enjoying the car.
We all have different car philosphy's is I suppose ...are you a regular driver or prefer look at your museum piece.
dave t Wrote:Hi ...will give you my experience of this, last year I resurrected a Delorean 30k mls & Lotus Esprit 54k mls from dry garages both parked up for nearly ten years.
Both required brake overhauls , pistons sticking ,fuel pipes ,filters beather pipes steering relay uj's just to get them driving ..the D had to have the fuel maifold stripped to free out the plunger....a few weeks later more work....answer to your question from my experience Yes it WILL need work & WILL be a work in progress whilst regular mileage is being put up until all the bugs are sorted.

If your looking for a driver car buy a sorted regular driver.... although this above car looks great & is a nice museum piece it will need lots of babysitting when mileage goes on it. A freind of mine has a rare 1996 Lotus Esprit museum piece ...show car Shock ...last time he had it out it snapped a rear spring car only has 12k mls on it..... :roll:
A regular maintained driver all the way IMO ...otherwise you'll spend every Saturday doing jobs when you could be driving enjoying the car.
We all have different car philosphy's is I suppose ...are you a regular driver or prefer look at your museum piece.

Thanks you for the info.
dave t Wrote:Hi ...will give you my experience of this, last year I resurrected a Delorean 30k mls & Lotus Esprit 54k mls from dry garages both parked up for nearly ten years.

This man speaks sense. Let's be honest, they're either clocked to get a higher value or you'll get no end of issues with replacing all the original parts which will be knackered/hard/work/cracked etc. I'd take a 'cheap' 80-100k mile D over a low mile overprice special any day.
http://www.deloreanhire.com
http://www.fusiontimetravel.co.uk

Ex 1981 DMC Delorean Time Machine owner.
Have any ever done 100k + miles? ( apart from the special USA one)
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Chris P Wrote:Have any ever done 100k + miles? ( apart from the special USA one)

A documentary Robert Lamrock did for Ulster TV called 'Back From The Future' which would have been made way back in the 90's featured an elderly American gent explaining he had seen DeLoreans that had done 200k+ miles and that was back then so assuming the cars were/are still being driven there should be some intergalactic mileages being reached.

I'm up to 72,500+ miles (it had 5,860 on the clock when I bought mine in Jan 2002). Some age related bits have gone over the years but annual maintenance etc (plus bits in between) means that everything works in such a good way that I'm not always glancing at the gauges wondering what and when something is going to stop working. I don't know why people get so hung up about low mileage cars being the right buy. Think of it as a big Lego kit, if something goes, replace it. Keep on driving and the car will look after you in return. I've been to Dunmurry and around the test track, down to Cornwall and up to Dundee. Ultimately I want to drive the Swiss Alps, Monaco and the autobahns in Germany before reaching the Nürburgring. So before I ramble on, just buy the right car that fits the bill and don't be put off by a car that has some miles on the clock as that has been driven, enjoyed and hopefully ready for you to carry on adding more with a smile on your face the whole way Big Grin
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Chris Hawes Wrote:Ultimately I want to drive the Swiss Alps, Monaco and the autobahns in Germany before reaching the Nürburgring. So before I ramble on, just buy the right car that fits the bill and don't be put off by a car that has some miles on the clock as that has been driven, enjoyed and hopefully ready for you to carry on adding more with a smile on your face the whole way Big Grin

Not too late to come with us Chris.
http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4686
Need someone who knows how to fix Deloreans!! :lol:
saw the topic but was already tied up during the dates that you were going. Thanks for the invite though

Looking forward to seeing the outcome of your trip

Do you have AA cover? Big Grin
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
I think the miles on the speedo are like the age of a beautiful lady,if the body is tidy and the ride is good(pun intended) whats not to like, it is just a number after all,but there is a bit of quodos with a low miles car,same as having a young dolly bird on your arm.Unfortunately like Les Dennis and Amanda Holden you know it won't last.Any idea of the vin on that?
#2292 is around 100,000 miles now, engine still pulls nice and strong, I feel more confident
driving this then I would some trailer queen show piece Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie