Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN #5124
Yes I'm looking at them, but can you get a rage of temperature switches to go in them ? I'd like mine to come on earlier.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
The switch on mine is very similar Chris,I fitted it back in 2003 and I think it's an early Kenlowe make bought from James Paddock ltd who sell parts for Triumph-I think it was for a Stag. It's variable so you can have it coming on as early or late as you want, and it's worked perfectly since-the otterstat always seemed to me to switch the fans on too late,especially in traffic, I have an override switch but have never used it!
Fitting it is easy, just remove the top hose where it enters the radiator supply pipe,place the capillary pipe halfway into where the hose covers it,attach with a sealing sticky pad so it won't leak when the hose is slid back over and clamped,secure the unit to the pontoon side and clip the spade connectors off the otterstat on to it (top your coolant up as well!), you could probably hide the control unit behind the engine side panel somewhere if you want an original look I suppose.
The car has the original fans on which work ok, but I am looking to upgrade them with aftermarket fans in the future,but that's another job! :lol:
PS thanks for the ashtray Chris,I'll send you the cover bits back soon
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
Local car show ten minutes from our house advertised as 'Cleanfest' - entered the D as a late entry, organiser came straight back to say we would be pride of place! I was hoping it would be the same as last year's event, tidy presentable classics with tasteful wheels etc. This year seems to have been overtaken by the stretched tyres, big wheels, stupid camber, flip paint & air suspension brigade - really not to my taste. Still, the old D held her own and really stood out from the crowd.

[Image: 11873456_10152869766111184_7835178057959...e=567BFE24]
[Image: 11825031_10152869766216184_1851369003320...e=567C8FD6]
[Image: 11218171_10152869766381184_2397539208157...e=564C688B]
[Image: 11811445_10152869766966184_7035860154041...e=5649F61A]
[Image: 11822274_10152869767516184_3084375985231...e=564A3FA8]
Med Venlig Hilsen
Ahhhhh my poor VIN brother having to mix with the great unwashed!! :lol:
we're finding that nowadays, alot of car meets being taken over by the
'modified car sc3n3' brigade.

Sick of turning up at car shows and seeing a row of Focus ST's, if i want to
see those I'll go to my local supermarket thanks.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Guinney1971 Wrote:we're finding that nowadays, alot of car meets being taken over by the
'modified car sc3n3' brigade.

Sick of turning up at car shows and seeing a row of Focus ST's, if i want to
see those I'll go to my local supermarket thanks.

So what has it been like previously? It might be a Focus ST today, but it used to be a Sierra (showing my age, perhaps). The thing that hasn't changed is the DeLorean.

I've been to many an open-air classic show, or US show and the cars there never change (I mean, it's the same cars there every year) and you don't get the modified crew (to a degree) but car shows will mostly be full of whatever the current fashion features.
Things have changed greatly over the years; when I was a new driver I could barely afford a 1.2 Nova. Yet, I could afford, at 17 to insure it, drive it and modify it (I didn't though). Now? Now a 17 year old gets a much more modern car, but has to pay £3000 a year to insure it - so the modding scene has changed, moved and developed.
For a few years, the modding scene - particularly where I live - just disappeared. Completely. It's coming back (and I actually agree with it to a degree) and it's nice to see people putting money in to something tangible rather than up a wall Wink

There is also something to be said to taking our old and busted, decrepit cars to these newer shows and expose those "great unwashed" to something different - there still seems to be a large population of people that don't even know what these cars are. Isn't that our responsibility as well?

Sorry - that became a rant. It was meant to be mostly tongue in cheek! Big Grin
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

lol Smile

The modded scene has never disappeared round here, we took the De's to a car meet
round here one evening, and one of the 'yoof's' with his baseball cap on the wrong way
and jeans waistband round his buttocks said "so 'ow fast is it then?"

We relayed the figures, around 0-60 in just under 10 seconds, top speed 130 ish, but never
really pushed it that hard.

"Pfft he says, I've had over 120 out of my (Citroen) C2", and then wandered off telling anyone
who'd listen to him "how sh*t slow those old cars are".

Sigh.
Brilliant - been a while since I've had to put up with that kind of idiot (yet, interesting to know they still exist).

The whole "Whatever you say, I'll add 5% to be better than you" nonsense. I've always wondered if they believe their own BS... I'm often tempted to say something like "It's a classic, it goes as fast it goes - but my Monaro over there? That has 450hp so.. how fast is your C2?" Wink
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

Some of the guys there - with caps on backwards and trousers round their knees - had taken something chronically boring like a mk4 Golf, stripped everything out, smoothed it all, fitted air suspension and an enormous sound system, put 10 degree negative camber on the suspension, fitted enormous wheels and stretched (dangerous) tyres, then all their mates come up and say 'yo, it's well sick innit blud', or someother such nonsense. They are all trying so hard to stand out and be unique, that they all blend into a single homogenised lump for me - caps on backwards, low riser jeans, sparkle paint jobs & loud house music. It's a very introspective scene, where everyone appears to be trying incredibly hard to be just like everyone else - which I find very boring.

Largely the D was ignored by the neanderthals, but we did have some great conversations with the more literate members of society. But at the first opportunity we disappeared off home!
Med Venlig Hilsen
lol, you should have heard the reaction when we took the Avantime to show (at same venue) one
evening.

It got lots of looks an comments one was particularly funny between two 'yoofs' :

"what is it?"
"I dunno, but it must be French, keep walking"
"yeah, but what is it?"

another hilarious one, was towing my DeLorean down to Martin G's old place in Sussex/Kent, and
seeing people mouthe in their cars "oh look a DeLorean............W*** the F*** is that towing it?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doive Wrote:chronically boring like a mk4 Golf, stripped everything out, smoothed it all, fitted air suspension and an enormous sound system, put 10 degree negative camber on the suspension, fitted enormous wheels and stretched (dangerous) tyres,!

Had a group of 4 such cruise by slowly and said...."That be well sick man!" & "Respect Blood!"

"Why thankyou my good man!" :lol:
That looks a nice trailer Big Grin …down by Derby Cattle Market unless i'm mistaken. 8)
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
yep, car park at Mertrux where I used to work ChrisP Wink