Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US style rear number plate surround
Does anyone have a spare US type rear number plate surround? or can you point me towards one?

I am considering replacing my Euro-lights with the US ones. ( as a temporary measure)
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Sorry Chris, if I had one it would be yours, but that's one of the many trim parts that weren't found with the tub & frame for my car. Unsurprising I guess as WH would not have needed it.
For some reason I have an aluminium one hanging on my garage wall at the moment, which could use a new home.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Let me know if interested

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
That would do very nicely James.

can you email me at chris@parnham.net. please?

I want to assemble the Euro one and the US one and see which I like best once they are fitted.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks James…all sorted.

Can someone give me link to US style rear number plates please? Im not sure if I prefer pressed aluminium or conventional plastic.

I do like the look of Richard Hutchison's …who came around to help me the other night. ( still the same Richard). Will order another fuel pump- after taking the tank out and cleaning it thoroughly.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
The originals are made from fibreglass.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Rissy Wrote:The originals are made from fibreglass.

Weren't they the only part on the car to actually be made using John DeLoreans famous ERM method.

That's the rumour that I heard.

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Sorry for the confusion….my comments were about the actual numberplate itself…. to go behind the frame…not the material from the frame is made!

James's just happens to be a repro one, which is aluminium, but will look the same when it is painted black.

I think there would be a market for one, made from f/glass, that is a cross between the US style and James's Euro ones.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
JamesRGUK Wrote:
Rissy Wrote:The originals are made from fibreglass.

Weren't they the only part on the car to actually be made using John DeLoreans famous ERM method.

That's the rumour that I heard.

J

My licence bezel has a bust up damaged screw hole. It looked like fiberous damage you'd expect to see with cracked fibreglass. I've repaired and re drilled a new hole some time ago.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
hi Chris

i would definately stick with the 'eurospec'.

when you see those truck lights you know it is a rare D.

one reason i wanted the 'wales' car!.

steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
I know what you are saying Steve, and anything I may do would be easily reversible , but I really do like the look of the US ones.

Still thinking about it. But unlike the good old days…I only have one car to use and I can't help thinking its a bit ugly at the back end.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Chris P Wrote:I know what you are saying Steve, and anything I may do would be easily reversible , but I really do like the look of the US ones.

Still thinking about it. But unlike the good old days…I only have one car to use and I can't help thinking its a bit ugly at the back end.

Just install a reversing beeper Chris and you'll be grand. Big Grin
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Hi Chris, Great to see you have Delores back...
Interesting to see you 'americanize' her but thats up to you.
I'm guessing the standard lights don't fit either side of the original plate surround.
Having fun with the car is the main thing
IIRC the bezels were manufactured in the states & fitted at the QAC's. The Irvine centre had 'Bezel Bob' installing them full time. :|
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Hi Stuart,

Hardly Americanising her.

I'm not thinking of turning her back to LHD, or fitting a standard exhaust system, or taking out both brake servo's, or re-fitting the carbon canister, or replacing the 140 MPH speedo an 85 MPH one, or the original fog light switch, or the UK band radio, or replacing the side markers, or removing my round flasher repeaters, or roof radio ariel, or white forward facing door lights, or the UK fuel filler neck…etc. No, I just think that Giorgetto Giugiaro was a better designer of rear lights than William Towns ( who was responsible for the Aston Martin Lagonda wedge amongst other things)

The lights ( i may fit) are genuine original Gerry Castle ones, bought from his widow, so they have some DMCL history. I would make them 'plug and play' so that they could be swapped in 15 mins if needed.

Delores would still be very Euro-spec, British, but with prettier rear lights. IF I DO it. :wink:
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Chris P Wrote:... I think there would be a market for one, made from f/glass, that is a cross between the US style and James's Euro ones.

I have been thinking about using my casting pattern to make some fibreglass ones, they would be lighter and therefore cheaper to ship, I do sell quite a few EuroStyle ones.
It's amazing where these cars turn up I've sent them all over the world, far beyound Europe!

My pattern is made for the contraction rate of LM6 aluminium, but I think it will still be ok for fibreglass

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK