Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Stuck engine mounts
#1
Tried fitting my new motor mounts tonight, but after getting the studs out found the engine and mounts won't seperate.

Even worse, the inner bolts on the mounts are stuck so can't even release the mounts from the frame...

Anyone been here and have some advice?
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
Reply
#2
Hmm, I did mine as part of an engine-out job but don't recall as problems. I bet the bolts that go into the towers are rusted in on the inside maybe? Either way you don't want to shear any of them off just by horsing at them as it'd be engine out to drill out the remnants either way. 'Ve released stuck bolts in the past by rocking between tighten/ loosen, you might even find tightening then a fraction first breaks the bond and allows you to unwind them. I've unwound stuck bolts as if cutting a new thread too - I.e. Half a turn loose followed by a quarter of a turn tight, and repeat until they are out. But keep feeling for the spongy feeling of them starting to yield!!!

Judicious application of heat from gas bottles can help too, but I've never had much success with a plumbers blowtorch, I think you need the extra heat of an oxy setup before anything starts to happen much...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Reply
#3
I noticed your post over on DMCtalk, only because I had pondered on doing this myself after Chris (Rissy) pointed out even though my engine runs smooth there is a lot of sideways movement, so I guessed it was 'probably' the mounts on the way out. Sorry I have no helpful comments other than I need to take my engine out to do an oil seal so was going to get them in for then.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2018's DeLorean event: http://deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=5715
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584 1972 Bond Bug.
Reply
#4
My mounts look pretty worn, and from all the service history that came with the car I couldn't find any mention/charge for them being replaced.

I think I'll look at putting the old studs back in place and securing it all for now. Last thing I need is a sheared bolt on one of them right at the start of driving season (really do not want to have to even consider pulling the engine, having only just finished preparing her for some summer driving).

My rear main seal is/has been weeping since I had ChrisN look at her when she arrived in the UK, so I guess I could add it to the list for when an engine-out eventually occurs...
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
Reply
#5
You say the studs came out? Whick studs came out and what exactly is stuck?
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Reply
#6
The main studs that go through the mounts and the ears of the engine came out no problem. Just undid one of the bolts, tapped a couple of times with a punch and a soft-mallet, then could pull it out by hand. Same for putting them back in.

However, when I attempted to lift the engine gently, the entire rear end of the car was lifting up. Eased it up and down a few times to see if the movement would free the engine ears from the mounts, but no luck.

Then I thought I'd try undoing the bolts from the frame, easing the engine up with mounts in situ, and attempting to loosen them then. On either mount, the outside bolts came undone with a bit of elbow grease, but the inners are just not wanting to move at all.

So in the end I had to put it all back together with the old mounts still in place (though cleaning up the ground braid), as I needed the car for this weekend.
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)