Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A car is only as good as the driver?
I was at a car show last Sunday and a Chap walked by saying, “These cars drive like Sh*t.”
I immediately stopped him and asked if he’d ever owned one…..”No”
“So have you ever driven one?”
“No, I don’t need too they’re sh*t.”
“Sorry, I didn’t realise you were an expert” I said as he walked off.

This got me thinking.

Some times it’s as much about the car as it is the drivers skill, that makes a good drive.
Do any of you remember Tony Pond?
He drove a “stock” (apart from a roll cage and slick tyres) Rover 827 Vitesse in 1990 around the TT circuit to achieve an average 102mph. Not a car you’d associate with performance or handling.

So next time you walk past a non descript car and think to yourself, these are sh*t, it may just be your driving!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NEskpWsMkI

It took 30 years for this record to be broken (by 2mph average faster lap) in a Subaru Impezza, and watching the video, I’d feel safer in the Rover…….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOXPhvREs1k

Particularly when this happened

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jSYiU-JdRw
VIN 4532

DOC-574
oops, 20 years not 30 :oops:
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Quote:I was at a car show last Sunday and a Chap walked by saying, “These cars drive like Sh*t.”
Yes, but it's 'usually' 50+ gents that remember the money trouble, nothings gonna shake it unfortunately, but good reference to Tony Pond there, I had long since forgot about that!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi Chris,

The chap was in his early 20's, so like you and I, we passed our driving tests a over decade before he was born. :wink:

There was a second punter, in his 50's who said that his friend (Sullivan) owned "The reference car" I was puzzled and asked what he meant?
He said it was the ONLY original Delorean in the world and people visit him from all around the globe to photo and measure it because it is the only true example of how a Delorean should look Shock Apparently he has NEVER started the engine because it would RUIN the cars history of being the only reference car in the world.
I said that although I didn't doubt his friend had a Delorean, I did think the rest was a bit of a tall story, especially as he told me the chap had imported it from New York and it was previously owned, how could he guarantee the engine had never been run?

He actually got quite mad that I'd questioned his story and said that this car was well know in the World and all the Delorean clubs as they visit regularly to measure and photograph it. :roll:

Over to you.
VIN 4532

DOC-574
LMAO, some people are dog tossers :roll:
Darren C Wrote:I was at a car show last Sunday and a Chap walked by saying, “These cars drive like Sh*t.”

What really amazes me is how some people can come up and insult your car to your face.
Most people in their early 20's have only ever heard of a DeLorean through the internet and most of them have never even seen one in real live, let alone been driving one! So how can they comment on the way it drives?!?!? Oh yeah right, because 'it's on the internet' ...... and the internet's always right! :wink:
You see this kind of talk the whole time on forums when their is talk about a DeLorean ; everyone knows better they think. This can make me so angry sometimes .....
If you're gonna build a timemachine, why not do it with style !
http://www.deloreanclubbelgium.eu
yeah theres a guy who comes into the office sometimes and found out i had a delorean. He is probably in his early 30's

He told me some interesting facts that i did not know!

The car weighs 5 tons because its made completley from stainless.

And its top speed is 88mph, and thats why they go on about 88mph in the film.

Also a lad came to my garage last week, he was 22, and did not know what a DeLorean was... and he was suppost to be into cars!
All well informed classic car experts then…….! :roll:
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
MML Wrote:
Darren C Wrote:I was at a car show last Sunday and a Chap walked by saying, “These cars drive like Sh*t.”

What really amazes me is how some people can come up and insult your car to your face.

Par for the course I'm afraid.
It happens with all classic cars, not just the Delorean.
I just laugh at their stupidity rather than let it get to me.
VIN 4532

DOC-574
I agree with everything the 20-30 something year old ill-informed types have said so far.

(He says pegging it down the corridor looking back and giggling)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
I find that the only Classic car I've ever owned that people slag off to my face (or
even slag off ignoring the fact I'm sitting it it and can hear them) is the DeLorean.

Never had this with my Rapier, 100E's, etc.

What is it about the DeLorean that attracts the toss pot fraternity?
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I couldn't care less what anyone says about my car. It's only my opinion which matters to me.

I think the DeLorean is a quirky, yet sophisticated and different car to own compared to everything else on the road.

I like it like that.

I like it for what it is. To me, it's like owning a pet which has three legs instead of four. You know it's not as accepted by others when compared to it's four legged counterparts, but because it's close to you, you love it all the same.

The more people slag it off, the more my feelings grow about my car, because it's mine and I've worked so hard to own it and keep it on the road.

How many cars out there strike such a commonly shared feeling as being part of the family as a DeLorean?

Not many I think.

As for TV programmes which do nothing but show up the car as nothing different from the widely shared illusion of unreliable and terrible to drive; justifying these claims to the general public all the more by using an example which is clearly in need of service and repair work rather than use one which is maintained and looked after properly, well, it's not worth the time of day complaining about it. Not much respect there from me in my opinion.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)