Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So I thought it was about time I posted on here.
Right. Hi guys. Where to start. I have been a fan of the Delorean for as long as I can remember. I signed up for here in 2012 and have never posted. I just come on here and look through the pics.

Basically I have decided its time to start looking a bit of seriously for one of my own and ask some questions.

Right. First up the most important question, how much would I need to spend to get myself a good not mint but reliable car. I don't mind doing a bit of work. From what I see on ebay the prices seem to range all over the shop.

I don't plan on using it dally but I also don't like cars to be sat in a garage all the time. They should be used and abused!

Out of intreat was is the running cost of one like?

and who are you guys insured with and what are they like? I'v always used Adrian flux as for all my cars they have been really good with mods and agreed valuations but is there anyone you guys would recommend?

Finally I'll leave this here. My now slightly tatty looking daily driver next to a couple of delorean at a car meet just out side Basingstoke.

[Image: 1377345_10152288796484848_1876456143_n.jpg]

Thanks very much!
Hello, and welcome to the DOC.

Do you have a budget in mind? DeLorean prices can vary greatly depending on the condition of the car. A UK registered car for example will cost considerably more than say importing one from the USA.

Is importing an option for you? It is a cheaper option - a lot of us here have done it and could offer you any advice you need.

Reliable is a relative term when it comes to these cars Smile Touch wood in my 3+ years of ownership I have never broken down (yet), but that's not to say that the car hasn't had it's issues. At the end of the day the cars are 33+ years old, so issues are to be expected (it's all part of the fun of owning the car).

Running costs are not too bad, just keep on top of basic maintenance - mine gets oil and filters twice a year. Outside of that it depends if you want to make any updates to the car, e.g. upgrading the suspension, new lower current radiator fans, interior electrical upgrades - there are a whole host of uprated parts available.

If you end up with a completely original car, you would need to look at changing out the fuel, radiator hoses, lower ball joints etc, also factor in that the brake calipers may also need to be refurbed - potential for new rad and fans, new tyres, etc.

Btw, if you are planning to go to the White Lion this Sunday, pop over and say hello.

Cheers, Mike
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Leaky Wrote:Right. First up the most important question, how much would I need to spend to get myself a good not mint but reliable car. I don't mind doing a bit of work. From what I see on ebay the prices seem to range all over the shop.

About 18K GBP to import a good one from the US (25K USD plus shipping / conversion / registration). Asking price for a decent one already in the UK, about 25K GBP at the moment, although someone might take an offer.
Hi, and welcome. Mike pretty much covered everything you asked. Cars do come up for sale in the Uk but are few and far between. Importing still is without doubt the best route at the moment.
Insurance: Hegerty's/RH and Adrian flux all do good deals for DeLorean owners club members, like all insurance you have to shop around!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:Insurance: Hegerty's/RH and Adrian flux all do good deals for DeLorean owners club members, like all insurance you have to shop around!
Which reminds me, I need to get a form in the post to you Smile
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Thanks guys! Yea I have no trouble importing one. I have never imported a car before but don't mind doing it. I didn't have a budget as such but was aiming for around £15k I guess I will have to save a bit more haha.

Kinda glad to hear that there not terribly unreliable. I know old cars have there moments. My daily driver is a 79 clubby and I also have a 83 mini saloon as a toy which is currently undergoing a restoration and a 62 Mini Traveller thats undergoing a full nut and bolt rebuild . Once my saloon is finished which should be in the next few months I can start putting a bit more money aside of a delorean.

I will try and make the lion if its this sunday. I am never sure when they are on TBH. I only came to that one because my mate told mini its was a mini special one and that I should come along.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Leaky Wrote:I will try and make the lion if its this sunday. I am never sure when they are on TBH. I only came to that one because my mate told mini its was a mini special one and that I should come along.
The dates are listed on their website: http://www.whitelionantiques.co.uk/clas ... -meetings/ - although they list two meets per month for the spring/summer months, we tend to only go once a month.

We should have 3, possibly 4 cars in attendance this Sunday.
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Possibly having a username of "Leaky" might be a bit of an unfortunate precursor to getting a gullwinged car Shock

Welcome. Big Grin
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Sweet wel me and my GF should be along this Sunday then. I need you guys to convince her getting a delorean is a good idea haha.

Having the nick name of leaky while owning minis has not been good either haha. Most people think its the cars name but my last name it Leake so I have been called Leaky for as long as I can remember haha.

Cheers guys
Leaky Wrote:I need you guys to convince her getting a delorean is a good idea haha.
Smile Sell it to her as an 'investment' (she doesn't need to know that means investing your time and money into it).
Luckily I have quite an understanding other half, she put's up with me working on the car and taking it out to car shows etc.
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Just don't tell her until a year later, worked for me Smile
Quote:Just don't tell her until a year later, worked for me
Big Grin thats true but yours has been easier to hide residing in Canvey Island and Holland :wink: different when it's on the drive. Big Grin
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
HAHA hiding it won't be easy haha. But year I am trying the whole investment thing haha.
Also got a quote today of £438 which for a 22 year old I didn't think was too bad!
Leaky Wrote:Also got a quote today of £438 which for a 22 year old I didn't think was too bad!
At 22 I don't think you can argue with that price, out of interest who is that with? I bought mine when I was 25 and the insurance cost for me was £305 with Footman James.
DOC 649
ex DOC 562