Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Australian Owner
Hi, Just thought that I would introduce myself as a new Delorean owner.
I am now the owner of VIN 12181. A factory authorised RHD that is located in Perth in Western Australia. It has Sat in a museum for many years but was regularly maintained. When the owner decided to sell it I jumped at it due to its rarity here in Australia.
It is in need of some serious detailing a few replacement parts and also new rubber ware, (seals).
Hope to be able to post some more details in the members car section once I can work out how to post there or why I cant post there.
Cheers
Dave
Congratulations with your purchase!

Does it still have the 'special' rear lights? They look like Lotus Esprit examples ...
If you're gonna build a timemachine, why not do it with style !
http://www.deloreanclubbelgium.eu
Not sure about them, I will have a closer look when I pick the car up on Wednesday. The museum have to move quit a few car around to get the delorean out hence the wait. A picture of it can be found on the whiteman park motor museum site. I would like to chase down more history but the furthest I can go back is around 1986 .
Congratulations Dave,

That will be the late Maurice Brockwell's car then. The rear lights are even worse than the Rubberlites!

Ive liberated a couple of RHD's from museums.

I don't know of its history prior to leaving the UK, but its definitely a Wooler- Hodec car.

Just a thought, if you remove the rear facia and the black energy adsorption materiel, you should be able to find its origanal vin number under there. It should be between 586-690.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hi Dave, welcome to the DOC-UK Big Grin

ChrisP, I never knew that the WH RHD's were re-vinned, learn summat new every day eh!! Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Yes Claire, but And and I only found out when he took his rear facia off recently. Luckily we found a picture of it being built at the factory as well! A real bonus!
Phil Peters has recently discover his as well…but I can't remember it!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
airfireman1 Wrote:Hope to be able to post some more details in the members car section once I can work out how to post there or why I cant post there.
Cheers
Dave

FYI

You have to be a member of the DOC club, rather than just the forum, to post in that section.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Thought that must be the case. I definitely like the US rear lights compared to the ones that look like the came off a Leyland truck
I have been told by is daughter that some time ago the car made a return trip to Ireland for some sort of function or show. It then was sent back to Australia. It currently is registered as a historic vehicle here which limits its road use to club events so It will have to be re inspected for full road use. This I plan to do.
I am going to have to change those awful tail lights. Anyway its now at home and I can start sorting out a few issues,mainly electrical issues, window,horn,washers,mirrors. Left door is clipping the T bar on the way up and the right rear fender needs realigning. The drivers seat back is loose and seems to be something to do with the recline mechanism.
I am sure I will find a lot more things as I start to go over it properly.
You will find a heap of small jobs need attention after all this time, just work your way through them.

Be very careful about "door fit", these are early cars and many things didn't fit very well. Take advice before you try any adjusting! ( 60% of these early cars were scrapped by the factory) .

Do you know the other DeLorean owners in Oz? Lance Hazelwood, etc?

Yes your car was shipped over for one of the first "Euro-Fests" organised by Robert Lamrock and the DOA. (That was before I got involved with the cars.)

Good luck and keep at it.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
is it just me or do those rear light clusters look very Rover SD1 ...ish.....?
Yes, and yet the infill panels look like regular Euro spec ones.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Yes that's it before the 88MPH plates were fitted, the tail lights overlap on the inside by at least 25mm . When I get around to it I will remove the facia and see if they had to modify anything to get them to fit. First is to slowly tackle the electrical gremlins to get the electric windows to work and the horn and windscreen washers. There also appears to be no central locking but yet again that can be sorted when time permits. You are also right about the fit and finish of the panels, I don't think the gaps anywhere are the same. The rear louvres don't lock down and that looks like an adjustment problem.
I will be putting some fresh fuel in it as I have no idea how old what's in it is. Idle is a bit rough and it hesitates when rev'ed. The usual new plugs and hoses would be welcome.
A fair amount of work but its great to have such a rare Deloren.
Quote:You have to be a member of the DOC club, rather than just the forum, to post in that section
There should be no issues with anyone posting there at all. If there is please let me know. The only section for DOC members is clearly marked DOC club members area.

Quote:is it just me or do those rear light clusters look very Rover SD1 ...ish.....?
My thoughts exactly!
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584