Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
£400 Road Tax - Are DeLoreans inclusive of this?
Just wondering really. There was a guy on Radio 1 earlier who said he had an MR2 and hes not gonna be able to afford to run it due to the hefty road tax... personally I think thats rubbish about him not being able to run it but I was just wondering whether all you owners out there will have to pay this VERY steep increase in road tax? I.e. is the DeLorean in the affected category(s)?
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
I think John they are refering to the uneconomic 4x4's that chew the road up. Lets face it, A delorean is hardly going to chew grass up, let alone the tarmac! But you have a good point. I think road tax will have more catagory's added after this budget, but don't forget they will take up to 2 years to have a full effect. I think the DMC - 12 is more likely to fall into the "Item of historic interest" band soon, like the Dodge Charger I believe. If we all push for this in a united fashion, someone may listen, especially if they're a BTTF fan! And there are only a handful in this country actually being used, so our D's are hardly a threat to our already pot-holed roads (Thanks to the Range Rover's, Land Rovers, Shogun's, Jeep Cherokee's, Double Cab pickup's etc) Which are meant to be off roaders that never spend any time off the road!! Apologies to anyone who owns one of these, but if you've got the money to pay for them and run them, you've got the money to pay for the damage they do too!!!

Cheers All
Mr.P
hear hear TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
hi all,

the new "£400" rate of VED only applies to vehicles that fall into the new Band G rating which was created after the last budget.

So basically, if your car, be it a 4x4, people carrier, family saloon, sportscar whatever, if it pollutes more then 225g/km and was first registered from 23rd March 2006, the annual rate will now be £300 (petrol or diesel). I guess it will go up to £400 next year?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... G_10012524

Personally, I think the car tax system is outdated. If a pensioner buys a Ford Focus and tootles around doing 2000 miles a year, he'll pay the same amount of tax as someone in the same car doing 50,000 miles a year (with the exception of fuel duty).

I think they should scrap car tax and just transfer it to fuel duty. Therefore you 'pay as you drive' and the people doing the most mileage pay the most. Also, it means all those foreign registered cars and lorries on our roads at the moment will have to contribute too. Think about it - they 'estimate' 600,000 Polish immigrants have come to the UK - and most of them in cars - how many Polish registered cars do you see every day? Loads. They arnt paying any road tax, they can get away with speed camera offences and they get away with Congestion Charge's because the cars are foreign registered.

And with 2p a litre going on petrol (about 9p a gallon), I'm glad I'm switching my cars to LPG! Smile

Mind you, like has been already said, if you can afford a 50 grand Range Rover, you're hardly gonna flinch at £400 road tax!

Personally, I think all this 'global warming caused by CO2' is utter c**p anyway. Will Mr Brown give us all our "green taxes" back when the planet cools down again (like it has been doing for billions of years) in 10-20 years time and the politicians and tree huggers admit global warming (and subsequent cooling) is a fact of nature? :roll:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I know its a lengthy article, but once you've read it, go to the bottom and read what people have posted.

Some have had me laughing out loud (especially the one about people with beards and sandals scaremongering about global warming), but it really gives a sense of what people really think about car tax.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 533942.ece

I wonder if the politicians are reading and taking note.........haha, what am I saying ?!?! :wink:

Enjoy the warm weather!!! We always moan when its cold, so lets make the most of it and fire up the barbeque and crack open another tinny!! Big Grin
Seems to me like the manufacturers need to do much more, i had a TD4 Freelander for just under 3 years , each year i saw my company car tax go up in leaps and bounds because of its 'high' 205g/km
Apart from being the most unreliable car i have ever owned i quickly realised that the engine technology used in these this is so dated, the engine in this case being out of the previous 3 series BMW. I notice the new freelander after all this time still has the same 'polluting' engine whereas they could use another newer TD BMW engine with a lot less. Seems to be the way of the world with these types of cars.
Talking about government's rubbish policy for "greener planet", Hong Kong has a very amazing one.

No one is allowed to run Diesel version of private car legally, unless you register it as a goods carrying van.

Which means if you, for example, want a BMW 3 Series Diesel, you will have to remove the rear seats; rear door glass and replace with solid metal piece; and also put a dog guard type screen behind the front seats (for dividing the goods and front passengers... if it's a real van).

All these hassle was because of the diesel price over here, which is a lot cheaper than unleaded petrol. And if diesel (tax) price was to raise to allow normal diesel cars to run as well.... a massive strike from van, lorry, truck drivers will start. What a mess.... :roll:

P.S. LPG is available here too, all Taxis and mini bus runs on them. But modification to original spec of manufacturer's standard is considered illegal, unless you get special permission... so I guess there aren't anyone who have modifyed their family cars to LPG here, unless they have the guts. Shock
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
Claire Usher Wrote:I think they should scrap car tax and just transfer it to fuel duty. Therefore you 'pay as you drive' and the people doing the most mileage pay the most.
Ah, but that would achieve what they plan to do (tax by distance driven) without the need for invasive tracking devices, so obviously they'll want to avoid it.
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
Rottbott Wrote:
Claire Usher Wrote:I think they should scrap car tax and just transfer it to fuel duty. Therefore you 'pay as you drive' and the people doing the most mileage pay the most.
Ah, but that would achieve what they plan to do (tax by distance driven) without the need for invasive tracking devices, so obviously they'll want to avoid it.

bugger it, you're right mate, I should have thought of that!!! :lol:

oh well, back to being taxed into obilvion it is then!! :?
Claire. There may be 600 000 polish imigrants here in the uk driving cars. But there are 9 in each car so thats not that many foreign cars. And they always seem to be down the scrap yard on Saturday morning after all the stereos and speakers.
Dan. The tree man
Not here for a long time. Just here for a good time
Live up to all you know. Nothing more. Nothing less
DOC 219
vin. 4986
Eleanor
Dan Howarth Wrote:Claire. There may be 600 000 polish imigrants here in the uk driving cars. But there are 9 in each car so thats not that many foreign cars. And they always seem to be down the scrap yard on Saturday morning after all the stereos and speakers.

lol - just been laughing at that, cos Phill was at the scrappy in Derby about 2 weeks ago getting some Cavalier bits, and he said there were loads of Polish people there getting stuff.