Solenoids
Shift Computer
Other
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto Trans Minor Gear Change Problem
For what it costs it's worth a try !

I don't know what the part number is for the filter though.

NickT.
This is a tricky one to get a feel for without actually being in the car

A blocked pan filter could be a good place to start - drain and remove the sump, the filter is held on by x3 M6 bolts. Unfortunately pan filters are like hens teeth, you may be able to strip and clean your existing one, with a bit of craftsmanship. Make sure you have a new gasket before you unscrew anything.

When you say 'as if it's in neutral', do you loose all drive completely? Or is it just struggling to pull?

If the transmission is dropping into third, this could give the same effect. If you ease off the throttle can you coax it into motion? Do you get the same thing no matter where the selector is?

To check what the governor is doing you can connect some test LEDs or voltmeter to the diagnostics connector at the back of the engine bay.

The conector has 5 terminals in roughly the 4o'clock, 7o'clock, 9o'clock, 11o'clock and 1o'clock positions.

Connect a meter between the 9o'clock (+12v) and either 7 or 11o'clock terminals. You will measure 0 volts if the solenoid is not energised, 12 if it is.

1st Gear - both energised
2nd Gear - one energised
3rd Gear neither energised

If you run some trailing wires to the cockpit, and use some LEDs (with 680ohm resistors), then you will be able to see what gears the governor is trying to select.

Check this out first and see what reselts you are getting.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Quote:. Are they available in the UK? Apparantly the filter is a Renault 30 but what about the gaskets?

Ah, one for the Autobox owers this. Last I heard there were non available in the UK or from Renault. I might have a potential supplier in Manchester, but I don't have their number to hand. You might have to go to one of the vendors - and be warned, they're not cheap Sad

Quote:Also, what brand and where to get some dxII ATF oil from please?

Again one for the Auto owners. AFAIK there isn't a consensus on ATF Fluid brands, the DXII stuff can be picked up from most cars bits places and costs around a tenner for 5 Litres.
RichH Wrote:........To check what the governor is doing you can connect some test LEDs or voltmeter to the diagnostics connector at the back of the engine bay.

The conector has 5 terminals in roughly the 4o'clock, 7o'clock, 9o'clock, 11o'clock and 1o'clock positions.

Connect a meter between the 9o'clock (+12v) and either 7 or 11o'clock terminals. You will measure 0 volts if the solenoid is not energised, 12 if it is.

1st Gear - both energised
2nd Gear - one energised
3rd Gear neither energised

If you run some trailing wires to the cockpit, and use some LEDs (with 680ohm resistors), then you will be able to see what gears the governor is trying to select.

Check this out first and see what reselts you are getting.

Top piece of info Rich !

Now re-design the auto computer to use a paddle shift system on the steering wheel 8) That with an LED number display for the gears would be cool.

NickT.
Quote:Now re-design the auto computer to use a paddle shift system on the steering wheel That with an LED number display for the gears would be cool.

Already on my projects list, Nick! I just need some time to actually get on with them :roll:

Some problems with another member's autobox has given me the opportunity to do a complete breakdown of exactly how these things work. For a simple circuit they have some surprising features built in.

The remaining two pins on the diagnostics connector at 4o'clock and 1o'clock are ground and kick down. If you connect a continuity tester between those two pins, they will go short when you operate the kickdown switch. Though to be honest the RPM band in which the kickdown switch operates is so narrow as to not be worth bothering with. That's why owners with their kickdown switch disconnected still report that their kickdow operates perfectly well. Another system in the governor takes care of it instead....
Definately do my test.

You need to see what the governor is doing first, before you start pulling things to pieces.

A refurbished torque convertor is around £170. Not to mention the time and effort involved in removing and refitting the autobox.
eh did someone mention my name ?? Smile

Go on then someone tell me why Dextron III will 'break' the box

When it meets up to the standards set upon with Dextron II
Yes if you could ask him to expand on your statement

So Dean whos car did you buy?-
i have just changed my computer from ed uding and its great i know have working parts all over plus reverse lights and ed is a good bloke to buy things off as i went over last weekend to this unit my god he has some spares
What happened to your old governor computer Glen? Wink
DeanMitchell.net Wrote:Hi, after an update from the former keeper he put the dxIII oil in at the suggestion of Mike Bozzy. But Ed at DeloreanEurope said DxIII would break the box?

He'd put in the dxIII and a new filter 2 weeks ago, so what's next?

Rich's test or Torque Convertor?

Cheers

Why would Dx III break the box?

I use Dx III which says on the container it is suitable for Dx II applications as it meets and exceeds the specification.

It works fine in Bozzzys and my auto gearbox perfectly fine as we bought ATF in bulk between us. Mind you we both did change the auto filters for new ones too.

NickT.
It's the same as the Renault 30 Auto Transmission Box.

So if they truely are experts they should know exactly what it is. That goes with what I said on the phone, the torque convertor and solenoids are not the highest things on the list.

To test the Auto Transmission pressure is simply a matter of connecting a pressure guage to the test point on the box, lifting the wheels off the ground and driving them at 2500 RPM in 'D' - Then adjusting the pressure to 8 Bar.

Now if this guy is suggesting that he will remove the box, strip it, replace all the rubber seals, replace all the gaskets, refit it to the car and charge the same as doing a pressure test Shock .......well I'll have a que of Automatic DeLorean owners waiting outside his workshop tomorow!!!
Hi all,
The Renault code is 4141 for this gearbox.
Its is in the R30TX/TS and R20LS/TX/TS and 25 V6

From what has been described I would say due to the last owner "living" with the leak and possibly driving the vehicle with a low fluid level the box has been damaged as a result. If you drive these box's low on fluid they will burn out the clutch's/bands very fast.
Connor and Thomas in Ireland had a similar problem on their cars.Both had leaks which resulted in loss of drive due to the above.

The Renault part number for the filter is 7700 585 989

The Renault part number for the sump gasket is 7700 704 939

Hope this helps
Regards Paul O'Malley
DOC 253 South of Ireland Rep
Oh yes,
By the way the Renault part number for the solenoids is 7700 658 384
Regards Paul O'Malley
DOC 253 South of Ireland Rep
cheers for the part numbers on those bits Paul, these will be added to the master parts list Smile