Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAT Bypass Pipe
I'm looking to remove the CAT on 10719 and put in a bypass pipe. Question is where do I get one of these? DMC europe used to do them, but no longer it would seem. Any ideas?

Oh, and will removing the CAT cause any problems with the MOT. I know it will release some much needed horses, plus improve the sounds of the exhaust, which will be a a plus Big Grin Anyone done this?

On a side note my car has the original CAT and heat shield. Maybe someone might be interested in those or a swap?
Mark Sutton

Importing VIN #10719.

http://www.delorean-dream.blogspot.co.uk
I took the cat off when I bought the car in 2003, and no problems with doing that( it's now a doorstop in the garage), I think I bought it off Dave Howarth but I can't be sure.
My local garage retuned the fuel and ignition to do the emissions and they said it wasn't too much out of tune as it had only done 32k back then, honestly can say it doesn't sound any different but it seemed a bit smoother. 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
Several people used to do them, but I'm not sure about now. Yes i certainly think its worthwhile thing to do. All the RHD and Euro spec ones had them removed.

No UK cars in 1981 had cats fitted and you couldn't even buy unleaded fuel in the UK. ( except from the Jaguar factory who had a small stock for testing their federal cars)
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
If you find a source, let me know! I've tried a few places but they all seemed to dry up just as 4494 hit the UK Sad
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
The factory ones were made of mild steel and were soon nick-named the "rusty pipe" If nobody else wants to do it, ill look at having few stainless ones made in Nottingham. This one was supplied by John Tein many years ago, and eventually fitted to vin 522.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Quote: If nobody else wants to do it, ill look at having few stainless ones made in Nottingham

If you could Chris that would be great. I'm sure it's something the club could possibly fund and stock. Or at least if they have one as a pattern supply direct?

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I am happy to get a few made, and sell them on at cost, but as my "John Tien one" was not a perfect fit, ( the pipe angle was slightly out ) we could do with a local car, with a "stock" and undamaged exhaust system, to lend the manufactures in Nottingham for a few days......Claire, Phil, Richard and Richard?????
They put it on their lift, make it fit perfectly, make a big heavy Jig for future use...make a pipe on their new jig and try it again on the car! This way we know they will be correct time after time.

I lent them my "Delores" ( 7 years ago) to design the original free flow system.

( In case some of you regulars may think my postings are rather "over-long and pedantic" . I am very conscious that many of the visitors to our website, are not as experienced in DeLorean matters as most of you lot! )
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Well, as I was the one that started the thread it seems only right that I should offer mine up for the job. Only half an our away from Notts, so if they want to use my car for the fitting I'm happy with that. Big Grin

If we can get them sorted for everyone it would be great. I'm sure there are a few people who would be interested as well.
Mark Sutton

Importing VIN #10719.

http://www.delorean-dream.blogspot.co.uk
Put me on the short-list please! Bit far from Notts to offer my car though Big Grin
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
Thats great, i'll have a chat with Don tomorrow as I want to discuss a free flow system as well. We can then work out some numbers and timings.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hi,

I'd be interesting in a bypass pipe subject to cost and a confirmed good fit.

Cheers,

andy
All,

Yes me too please, as long as they are a quality item then I'll definitely take one.

Steve
Stephen Partt
Bristol
I assume you guys will be disposing of your CAT section? Why not just empty them out. You then have an authentic looking straight through pipe in place. Zero cost.
Vin 5921
Firstly the original DeLorean cat, if intact, is worth a fair few quid in platinum. Don’t just bin it!

A hollowed out cat creates a horrible resonance chamber in the exhaust and doesn’t get rid of the restrictive bend at the exit.

I think the pipe in that earlier photo and Brian’s cat probably came from me. They were made by a tubesmith in east sussex. (General hint for getting car stuff cheaper: don’t go to car parts suppliers, use industrial suppliers!). Over time I think I had 40-50 made. They were a good seller but was again one of those items which needed a fair bit of up-front investment and had a relatively long shelf life.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Don at stainless exhausts, is prepared to make them and keep a few on the shelf. I have provisionally book a day on lift for 4th November. He will come up with a firm price once has made this first one. But it shouldn't be very expensive. Hope thats suits everyone?

He will also be making 2 full system's, one for me. If anyone else want one, give me a ring in the next couple of weeks . 07502 143 433 and well see if we can get a bulk discount.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian