Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First drive and bad acceleration issues.
Hi all

Need some advice please. Just picked up Vin 4468 from Chris in Essex and had some serious acceleration issues on the way back from his place. After about 70 miles it started to accelerate very roughly. Under any sort of load (in any gear) it was hesitant and jerky. I stopped at Reading services (got swamped by people LOL). Let it cool down, started it (idled OK-ish, revved lovely and smooth) and then set off again - marginally better for a while then got progressively worse and worse. In the end I couldn't go anymore as acceleration was scary bad. So it was recovered back to Bristol (not at all how I envisaged my first drive back after an 8 month resto Sad) - Although Flux recovery were ace, less than 20 minutes for collection, very highly recommended)

Any ideas? I am thinking more than likely fuel related - but apart from that it could be one of many things. It is a newish fuel pump (2008) but it could be that. Or just the hose collapsing in the tank. Or distributer faulty. Or???

What are your thoughts?

Thank
Steve
Stephen Partt
Bristol
Quote:Any ideas? I am thinking more than likely fuel related - but apart from that it could be one of many things. It is a newish fuel pump (2008) but it could be that. Or just the hose collapsing in the tank. Or distributer faulty. Or???
Yes any of the above! I read (and I think MartinG mentioned it recently) that pumps can be rubbish now and certinally the pick up hose colapsing is a very common fault. Also worth checking is for a good earth for the pump. Mine was exactly like this and turned out to be a bad earth.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks Chris.

Where does the earth from the pump run too. If it runs OK when cold, does this still indicate earthing troubles?

Anyone else had the same issue?

Thanks
Steve
Stephen Partt
Bristol
Quote:Where does the earth from the pump run too. If it runs OK when cold, does this still indicate earthing troubles
Yes, well certainly in my case it would run ok sometimes then not others, drive for x number of miles then die. I put it down to getting the original pump working from it having been seized during it's lay up so I replaced it with a new one. This still did the same thing so I checked it out properly :roll:
IIRC it earths through the cut out switch (down by your foot pedals) then to an earth point on the top of frame just behind the front N/S wheel/fan area.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi Steve,
Sounds more like a fuel pick up issue to me. Check the fuel pick up hose has the stainless steel wire coil fix inside the hose. Check for muck in the bottom of the fuel pump pickup (where the hose connects). A little piece of muck in there will cause your symptoms. Check all the bits in the fuel tank are correct and inplace such as the fuel
pickup filter. Check out Martin G's video of correct fuel pump install.

Regards
Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
Definitely sounds like fuel pickup hose issues. Good when cold, gets progressively worse as the tank warms up. I had problems early on in #1458 with a new fuel tank of it being installed (by me) dusty and the pickup filter was getting blocked. If you have an original pickup hose, it WILL collapse at the slightest restriction from the pickup filter. The pump makes a groaning noise that you can feel through the gearstick as well as hear.

I'm in Melksham if you want me to take a look.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vCAG2IUb3E[/youtube]
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Thanks guys, good stuff.

Chris did fit Ed's fuel kit (K111085A) minus the pump as mine was fairly new. Would this still require the SS wire coil trick on the pickup? I am thinking definitely fuel issue as I had to move her today and she started fine and moved OK in first (no sign of hesitation). So looks like a hot running issue only to me.

For the SS wire coil whats the best stuff to use? Any particular gauge?

Martin thanks for the offer, and I may indeed take you up on that. I'm going to do some fiddling and see where I get first.

Steve
Stephen Partt
Bristol
Hi Steve,
Check the pickup filter, if you’re brave, try blowing through it (I recommend not trying to suck!), it should be totally unrestricted. Do you know if Chris fitted a new tank (he has a large stock) or cleaned yours out? I know which I’d rather do!

Your pickup hose should be fine if it’s one of the DMC remanufactured ones.

Ollie Wilkey’s not far from you too. He’s just taken his home for the first time and now he’s got a transmission leak. Welcome to the club!
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
Right spent the day fiddling with the D. Tested the voltage on the fuel pump and it read 13V, which I presume means it is getting the correct amount of juice? Took the pump out and it looked like the right angle fuel hose directly attached to it was a little twisted and misshapen. It's a new one from Ed, anyone had similar issues with any new fuel pipes before?

Installed the LED door light bulbs (look great). And took out some of the rear carpets for steam cleaning at home. There's a few broken trim items that need sourcing - but that's Ok. Less Ok is one of my lovely new door seals (drivers side I think) is already cut to pieces. I can see how the door catches it when it closes (sort of grabs it then drags it in on itself), but god knows how I stop it doing that exactly.

After all that, I thought I'd take her out for a test drive. And whilst she appeared to go OK on this quick 20 minute drive (acceleration nice and strong when the loud peddle is shoved.) I was yet again underwhelmed by the brakes. They take a real shove to stop the car. It doesn't exactly instill much confidence on tight narrow country lanes LOL. New pads me thinks, unless anyone else has any good idea?

And are the widows adjustable? They both work (up and down). But the passenger side is going up at an angle and is leaving a 1 to 2 cm gap at one side. I presume this will be a door panel off job?

Steve
Stephen Partt
Bristol
Hi Steve, sounds like the pickup hose was installed badly. It is very easy to twist.

Sounds like your pass window has fallen off one of its runners. Have you got the updated regulators?

If you bring it over to Melksham, I'll have a butchers at your brakes, but it'll probably be the usual new callipers and master.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
Thanks Martin

And I very well may need to take you up on that offer. She has had a brand new master cylinder already though (and SS brake hoses). But I suspect that callipers, discs and pads are needed, you are right. I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong i.e not the brake servo. But the system is just very inefficient currently. I will investigate more and get intouch if needs be.

Windows, no they are just the old regulators. It's not a priority for me as yet - lets get the thing running and stopping correctly first. But it will need doing.

Another thing is the speedometer. It only goes upto 35 mph tops - even on the M4. Do I need a new speedometer? Or is this angle drive related?

Thanks
Steve
Stephen Partt
Bristol
Quote:Another thing is the speedometer. It only goes upto 35 mph tops - even on the M4. Do I need a new speedometer? Or is this angle drive related
Odd :?: Usually an angle drive either works or does not, suppose the cable could be binding, the plastic cap not fitting very well, or a fault with the counter box or cable from this. Guess it's another one to ask Martin about if he's good enough to look at your brakes. At least there all in the same area!
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi All

I'm going to try the spring in the pickup hose trick (just to eliminate this niggling possible cause). Any ideas on diameter of stainless steel spring required? I guess 14 mm (9/16).

Any ideas are welcome.

Steve
Stephen Partt
Bristol
Hi Steve,

If you have a reproduction hose, it’s extremely unlikely you need the spring and you will probably find that because the hose is much stiffer (giggity) you would struggle to install the spring.

If you follow the video above I witter on about how to make sure the hose isn’t kinked once it’s installed in the tank. That’s the important bit. It was a new hose in the video too.

Martin
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
Right Martin, should have watched it to the very end. OK that makes perfect sense. Next time I'm with her I shall recheck to make sure it lines up correctly. When I did take it out before it felt a bit misshapen on the neck to me that 's all (kind of stretched and thin). Could the new pickup hose have got damaged over the shortish trip down the motorway?

Steve
Stephen Partt
Bristol