Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selling my soul for a DMC
Hello all!

My names Luke Palmer, I live in Chippenham, Wiltshire, UK. In my spare time I tend to make replica film and TV props, ranging from a full size Police Box, to a Pepsi Perfect bottle. Over the past few years I have also been producing “Back to the Future” fan films for “Parkinson’s UK”. During the latest part (Part V) I had the pleasure of meeting Steven, and his BTTFCar DeLorean, which he generously allowed us to use for the current film.

Film web-site here: http://www.backtothefutureiv.com

Props page here: https://www.facebook.com/flamingcogcosplay

Seeing a DeLorean for the first time in years made me fall back into my childish love for the DMC 12. I am currently selling off my massive Star Wars and Dr Who collection, to raise enough money to pay off my current car loan, so that on my 21st birthday (6th Nov 2014) I can take out a new loan, find a DeLorean, and overall fulfill my every desire.

I’ve been looking around on this forum and it seems a very friendly atmosphere, and I hope that soon I can be amongst the true DeLorean owners.

Speak to you all soon,
Luke
Hi Luke, welcome to the forum .

Yes the DMC 12 is a bit special.

I've had many classic cars in the last 45 years, but am completely hooked on the DeLorean. Every single time I take mine out, I get flush of pride and excitement and revel in the (usually) admiring looks of other motorist, in their more sensible cars.

I know its the modern way Luke, to borrow money for things, but I think you get much more satisfaction from "saving up" for luxuries. And you can usually strike a good deal for cash.....and you will appreciate it a lot more when you do eventually get it.

I know i'm old fashioned ...but I have talked to many young (and Delorean owners often are young) "would be" owners over the years. .....many of them are now owners.

Good luck and make sure you get to the NEC in November.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Welcome to the forum, as Chris wrote if you can pop along to the NEC if your close enough there will be a couple of cars there to look at/touch/sit in. Also have a look at our website: www.deloreans.co.uk and have a think about joining the club, there's a lot more to use than just an internet forum.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
ayup Luke, welcome to the mad house Smile

You're welcome to come along to club events, meet up with us, say hi, check the cars
out, etc Big Grin

I think you're not far from 'stunned monkey' on here (Martin G), he's a font of knowledge
when it comes to working on DMC's, especially engine upgrades Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hi Luke,

I live in Melksham and have two on the drive currently. Careful about buying a DeLorean at 21, the insurance is a killer until you're 25 and can get a classic policy.

My advice: sell the daily driver and buy something 10 years old. A lot of the cars from the late 90's and early noughties got to the point of being very reliable but were built before computer modelling allowed too much planned-in obsolescence. My ol' Xantia which I'd had since 2001 finally went to the great scrapheap in the sky due to tin worm, picked up an identical one with 100k fewer miles on the clock and no rot for £450. it's now done me for 7 months and still going strong...
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Hi Luke, welcome to the forum Smile

There are plenty of experts here to assist you with your DeLorean dream, and they are always on hand to answer any questions.

Mine is currently off road at the moment, it hadnt driven in over 20 years but I sat in it today and put the biggest smile on my face, and I knew I had made the right choice!

You wont regret owning a DeLorean thats for sure!
The DeLorean DMC-12 - MADE IN BELFAST, MADE TO LAST
stunned_monkey Wrote:Hi Luke,

I live in Melksham and have two on the drive currently. Careful about buying a DeLorean at 21, the insurance is a killer until you're 25 and can get a classic policy.

My advice: sell the daily driver and buy something 10 years old. A lot of the cars from the late 90's and early noughties got to the point of being very reliable but were built before computer modelling allowed too much planned-in obsolescence. My ol' Xantia which I'd had since 2001 finally went to the great scrapheap in the sky due to tin worm, picked up an identical one with 100k fewer miles on the clock and no rot for £450. it's now done me for 7 months and still going strong...

Noo way!!! I cant believe the old Xantia has finally died!! That car was an amazing workhorse and did you proud for all those years.

RIP Xantia Sad
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie