Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unconventional indicator functionality
Hey folks.

My garage MOT tester complained to me during the week about my indicators. Right now, my indicators flash in time (unison) with each other with the side lights/headlights switched off, but alternately when the side lights/headlights are switched on i.e. Front off but side on, and visa versa at the other clicked position of the relay. He says that this is most definitely a fail, and because i said it's always been like this since i owned the car, and in fact to my knowledge this is how the wiring mod works to turn the side repeaters into indicators, he let it go, for now. BUT, he says he wants me to investigate into how to correct this to make the side repeaters and the front indicators ALWAYS flash in unison with each other, NEVER alternately. He says he is reluctant to keep letting the car pass with this current situation being the case.

Can anyone help me with this project? DO my lights work the same way as everyone else's right now?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Quote:DO my lights work the same way as everyone else's right now?
As most I have seen are like this, another of MartinG's good improvements that every one else uses. I think the MOT tester is being a bit of an arse to be fair. Not sure how you would fix it without re-wiring everything. AND though not an expert (Need to check MOT regs) it 'probably' does not need side repeaters anyway on a vehicle of that age so you could just remove the bulbs next time!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I don't think you can remove the bulbs. I think the law is that the indicators need to be able to be seen from the side, not just the front. Hence the mod the way it is. So that BOTH front AND side flash to be able to cover this rule. Otherwise, you'd only be able to see the indication if in front of the car!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Chris Williams Wrote:As most I have seen are like this, another of MartinG's good improvements that every one else uses. I think the MOT tester is being a bit of an bottom to be fair. Not sure how you would fix it without re-wiring everything. AND though not an expert (Need to check MOT regs) it 'probably' does not need side repeaters anyway on a vehicle of that age so you could just remove the bulbs next time!

The simple solution for making the side markers flash is a small wiring change with no additional parts. That's why most people do it that way although flashing out of sync is not ideal.

However it's actually quite straightforward to make them flash in sync with the indicators, you just need to patch in a couple of relays. The indicator circuit on my car actually uses four relays and a concealed three-way switch to provide three modes; (classic : markers function as sidelights only) (MOT : rear markers deactivated, front function as inidicators only) (normal : all four side indicators light up with sidelights or indicators : flash in sync with indicators in day time, out of sync at night).
Put insulating tape over all the marker lights for your next MOT. As a 1981 car it doesn't need side repeaters and he should be failing it on the red rear marker lights/reflectors anyway.

When you get home, remove the tape.

This is the first time I've heard of my "mod" causing an MOT failure. It is technically a failure however I'd have thought common sense would prevail in most cases because the mod:

1) Adds side repeaters which the car definitely needs because of the recessed front indicators
2) Retains the original function of the side markers, keeping things nice and original
3) Functions in a way that should be obvious to anyone intelligent enough to possess a driving licence.Mr Green
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk