Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water bottle cap
Hi

As some people may have read I am having issues with major over heating. This only seems to have started since I changed the radiator cap on the water bottle ( which could be a coincidence) I will be doing some checks in the next few days to check for leaks etc but just to eliminate the radiator cap should I have to push it down with some pressure in order for it to work properly. It seems the brand new one I got recently just sits on the top lightly and then you can turn it easily. I just remember I had to press down hard on the old one? Does this seem right?
Mike
Bingley, West Yorkshire
VIN 2493

"Hey you, get your dam hands off her"
Nope, bite the bullet and get a proper one or new tank and matching cap. It needs to fit properly for the system to pressurise/increase the boiling point of the water etc.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I only bought it from ed a few weeks ago. Cost be nearly £30 as well. I presumed paying that amount for it from delorean would be the proper one Sad
Mike
Bingley, West Yorkshire
VIN 2493

So long as it's sealing properly then yes it should be, but my guess would be that if it's not tight then it probably is not. Is the bottle the original and in good condition or has it been replaced? I guess Ed's are for the origionals?
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks chris,

I think the bottle is the original. Maybe a new a bottle with cap is the answer to my problems. Just reading the threads it seems stainless is the way forward. Do you know where I could get one? In your opinion are the stainless ones a lot better or would you just go a plastic one?

Thanks mike
Mike
Bingley, West Yorkshire
VIN 2493

A lot of it depends on what you like, some people really like the look of the stock one some prefer the S/Steel one. There is a thread running hear on issues that some one has had with a remanufactured plastic one: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4834
Personally I use the ones from SpecialT Auto but probably most vendors do one and usually Ed is very quick to get things from. Or if you wish I'm sure there are lots of people have there old ones (including me) should you wish to try another cheaper option. I would also suggest fitting the auto bleeder as well if your car does not have it fitted.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
30 quid for a bottle cap??

I had similar issues to you recently.

Even with a new cap, the seal was still crap (my coolant bottle is not original btw).

I took the bottle cap to B&Q, and in the plumbing section I found a rubber washer that I was able to fit into the cap (along with the seal already there). Now the cap fits nice and tight and my car doesnt chuck out coolant.

Hope thats some help.
Vin #4087
Hi mike. Your bottle is one from martin g around 6 years ago. I had replaced the coolant cap with one from ed too and found it useless. Thats why I reverted back to the one i had on the car.
Paul Jenkins
Vin 2493
Belfast
Thanks for the your comments. By the sound of it the problem could actually be the cap then? Thanks willinot, for letting me know. I will put the old cap back on and see if it helps
Mike
Bingley, West Yorkshire
VIN 2493