Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BAE Turbo kit
yeah supercharging would be good. and m90 off a merc would be fine. you could use am m45 from a mini, but you would probably need to over rev it to produce enough air flow for the engine, which equals more heat.

you could mount an m90 where the AC compressor is, Plus with the eaton chargers, you dont need an oil supply, plus you get no lag. As the eatons are allways boosting, even at low rpm, then you just alter the fueling all the way through the rev range, rather than when on boost.
oh, and an M90 has an electro magnet clutch, so you could plumb it in, so you can turn on boost at the flick of a switch (like mad max).... alltho with the kjet, you'd probably just be running rich whilst off boost
RobScott Wrote:no i havent got a kit, but i'll make one similar to it.

In that case it's definitely worth taking a look at one of the single-turbo cars Martin has made (by combining DeLorean and Renault engine bits). Would give you an idea of what works and what doesn't. Also there's a fair bit of turbo and some supercharger talk / shared experiences on the DMCTalk forum
Forced induction either way. Supercharger will be more thirsty for the same power
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
who cares about mpg when your looking for power? Mr Green
Quote:who cares about mpg when your looking for power?Mr Green
Err me :lol: tight fisted northerner ! :lol:
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
RobScott Wrote:who cares about mpg when your looking for power? Mr Green

Same power, worse mpg. Actually the 2.5 turbo averages similar mpg to a stock delorean. A turbo'd stock D will be worse
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
The only car i have ever known ( and bought) with a wrecked engine, was a previously BAE turbocharged one. ..."Frenchy".

As Dave H supplied me with a brand new engine, I have still not "opened up" the old engine to see what actually went wrong.....a nice little job I have been saving up for a few years now.

But I must admit it rather put me off the idea of turbo-charging.

However during our book researches we have unearthed loads of info on single and twin turbo trials which were VERY impressive!......watch this space!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
RobScott Wrote:alltho with the kjet, you'd probably just be running rich whilst off boost

You need to read up on K-Jet. It is a mechanical air mass metering system so in theory it will automatically adjust. In practice however the metering flap is tuned to the engine so for forced induction, it'll be off into un-tuned territory and it will run lean
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
Chris P Wrote:we have unearthed loads of info on single and twin turbo trials which were VERY impressive!......watch this space!

Would you like access to corespondance between JZD and Renault trying to buy their turbo PRVs? :wink:
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
Yes please Martin,
any info is always welome , please respond via my history@deloreans.co.uk email address.

We have recently written up most of Turbo stuff, but we can soon include a bit more.
We are wanting to make this book as full an account as possible. Any one sending us "gold dust" will eventually get a free copy.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
stunned_monkey Wrote:
RobScott Wrote:alltho with the kjet, you'd probably just be running rich whilst off boost

You need to read up on K-Jet. It is a mechanical air mass metering system so in theory it will automatically adjust. In practice however the metering flap is tuned to the engine so for forced induction, it'll be off into un-tuned territory and it will run lean

well its obvious if your going to f i the motor, its going to need the fueling upped to match. if you read the part you quoted me on, i was saying it would run rich while off boost as kjet doesnt have boost sensitive fueling.
As I was saying, it theoretically doesn't need to have extra fuelling under boost becuase it's air-mass metered. In practice this doesn't work. if you increase fuelling across the board, this would be a bodge with which you'll risk bore-wash and fail your MOT on emissions. Ask yourelf this: how will you retard ignition under boost?
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
you just decrease its total advance. which is easy enough on a mech dizzy. or use an msd with boost retard module.

at 6 psi your not going to need loads of extra fueling, so doubt thete will be any significant bore wash at low rpm, and regarding mot, just pull the probe out a bit.
going a step further, it wouldnt be hard to rig up a 5th injector driver to provide extra fueling on boost.
RobScott Wrote:you just decrease its total advance. which is easy enough on a mech dizzy. or use an msd with boost retard module.

at 6 psi your not going to need loads of extra fueling, so doubt thete will be any significant bore wash at low rpm, and regarding mot, just pull the probe out a bit.
going a step further, it wouldnt be hard to rig up a 5th injector driver to provide extra fueling on boost.

Is there any way of making use of the cold start injector to enrich the mix under boost?
As I understand it the cold start injector is in essence an electronically controlled EFI style injector which enriches all cylinders by spraying direct into the manifold to help with cold starting.

This is all prior to the air fuel reaching the mechanical injectors for each cylinder, I think it effectively sits there doing diddly squat for 99.9% of the time the engine is running.

I speak as a complete novice so fully expect to be crushed by the 'boost boffins'

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK