Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11766 is now Germand!
2 months, 5 sets of temporary number plates, 3 tüv inspections and 2 weeklong stays in 2 different garages and more stamps and paperwork than the human mind can comfortably cope with. 11766 now finally has german number plates!

1 thing i do need to sort out. to get the plates they had to stamp the vin onto the frame.
this seems to have involved stripping a small area (2cmx10cm) back to bare metal Shock

the frame is galvanised but i need to cover the bit they've stripped.

POR15 seems to be the weapon of choice but im figuring i'll need the aerosol version as i need to get it into the indentations of the letters.
(also i need to keep the vin readable just in case!)

is it this to prime?
http://www.frost.co.uk/por15-self-etch-p...426ml.html
and this to cover?
http://www.frost.co.uk/por15-chassis-coa...-368g.html
(it'll look weird with a black strip but i cant find grey in a can, and if its that or a rusty frame i know what i'll choose)

though this stuff looks interesting has anyone come across it?
http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-rust-p...ating.html

Simon
Simon Wood
DOC 748
VIN #11766
I am sure you are happy your car has now got the German seal of approval...time to storm the autobahn.

Excuse my ignorance when I ask, why did your car require 5 sets of temporary numberplates? and is the TUV inspection of the UK's MOT process?
The DeLorean DMC-12 - MADE IN BELFAST, MADE TO LAST
Not sure about the spray can but POR 15 is a thin paint anyway, great stuff for the chassis, but heed the instructions well!!! When it says use gloves use them! it really does stain your skin like you would not believe :roll: trust me on this one and it does not wash off.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
DMCNI Wrote:I am sure you are happy your car has now got the German seal of approval...time to storm the autobahn.

Excuse my ignorance when I ask, why did your car require 5 sets of temporary numberplates? and is the TUV inspection of the UK's MOT process?

yes, the tüv is the german version of the MOT. its a much stricter test than in the uk(as its valid for 2 years).
Also the regulations for first time registrations vary from state to state.
unfortunately, the state i live in is generally considered the worst in germany to try and import something like a delorean due to their insane love of bureaucracy.(and were worse in my case as i applied for classic car plates)

the temporary plates were due to needing to insure it.
for 3 days temporary insurance on the UK plates from aviva i was quoted 150 quid.(and that was if i told them i lived at my parents address in england, if admitted i lived in germany it went up to nearer 400)

i needed to be able to move it about to get the necessary upgrades done for the registration. in germany the plates are registered to you not the car. so when you buy a 2nd hand car you have to change the plates. to enable you to drive a car back after you buy it you can get a set of transfer plates. these are valid for 5 days and the 3rd party insurance for them is 35 euros. (so 35 vs 400 was a no brainer!)

unfortunately, the work took longer than expected and needed several trips to the garage and the tüv. and as the plates only last for 5 days they kept expiring so i had to keep getting new ones.

Chris Williams Wrote:Not sure about the spray can but POR 15 is a thin paint anyway, great stuff for the chassis, but heed the instructions well!!! When it says use gloves use them! it really does stain your skin like you would not believe :roll: trust me on this one and it does not wash off.
Chris

ok, so maybe some primer and a small brush and some decent rubber gloves then!
Simon Wood
DOC 748
VIN #11766
yeah i recomend por 15, and yead it really does stick to your skin really well!!!

nice one on the tuv Smile bet you were glad to get it done.

do you still have the right hand drive headlights? i need a pair Smile
RobScott Wrote:do you still have the right hand drive headlights? i need a pair Smile

you know, now that you mention it, im not sure i do.

Deloman sorted out the lights out and i gave him the german ones id already bought along with the tüv approved brake hoses for him to fit.
the old stainless hoses are a bag in the boot but i now realise haven't seen the headlights!?!? :?

i'll ask him what he did with them.
Simon Wood
DOC 748
VIN #11766
marwood82 Wrote:in germany the plates are registered to you not the car.

When I picked up #4426 from Freiburg, the bloke I was meeting was very puzzled that my trailer had the same number plate as my car!

Glad to see "Harvey" off to a new owner/home!
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
stunned_monkey Wrote:
marwood82 Wrote:in germany the plates are registered to you not the car.

When I picked up #4426 from Freiburg, the bloke I was meeting was very puzzled that my trailer had the same number plate as my car!

Glad to see "Harvey" off to a new owner/home!

Cheers. Yes all trailers, caravans etc have their own plates registration certifiactes and log books. Im told importing one from the uk is hard and in hessen is almost impossible due to their obsession with paperwork!

One issue i am chasing down is with the ac. Ive replaced the blower motor and resistor and now the fans are working fine. But the clutch on the compressor wont engage. If you send current upstream of the low pressure switch it then works.

But im not sure its low pressure as the meters we rigged up dont seem to show any power going into the low pressure switch. Any ideas?
Simon Wood
DOC 748
VIN #11766
I hate AC, ive never really looked into it. my truck has it, and its never worked. so i have no idea, sorry Smile
marwood82 Wrote:But im not sure its low pressure as the meters we rigged up dont seem to show any power going into the low pressure switch. Any ideas?

This isn't going to help very much because it could be a lot of things, but the circuit is extremely simple. It's a dasy chain from fuse to mode switch, to high pressure switch, to low pressure switch via the cooling fan diodes to the compresor to ground. (the order may or may not be correct!)
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
stunned_monkey Wrote:This isn't going to help very much because it could be a lot of things, but the circuit is extremely simple. It's a dasy chain from fuse to mode switch, to high pressure switch, to low pressure switch via the cooling fan diodes to the compresor to ground. (the order may or may not be correct!)

ok. that does help a bit actually.

if i understand the rest of the wiring, the mode switch also provides power to the blower fan speed switch. now the fan is working fine so this implies that power is reaching the mode switch correctly.
also as i said, if you send current the other side of the low pressure switch then the compressor clutch engages so its not a ground issue or a problem with the compressor.

so if your sequence is correct, its either a problem with the wiring coming out of the mode switch, the high pressure switch, or the low pressure switch.
Simon Wood
DOC 748
VIN #11766