Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reg plate configurations
Hi guys,

Just after a bit of advice. My car is ready for collection. So, Im wondering what am I likely to be given plate wise? Its an '81. And then what configuration should I be using for looking for a private plate?

Help appreciated.
Rich
Vin 5921
I think most 81's get a 'W' reg plate as in ABC 123W however I'm not an expert on number plates and if you get a nice person to deal with they may give you lots of options!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
W or X seem most common. ( all though I have seen A, B , C or even D regs supplied on occasions ) something like URR 123 X .

You can get some nice cheap Northern Irish ones that look nice. But you will need your first issue one anyway before you could change it.

beat me to it Chris !
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks for such quick replies guys. So the format is 3 letters, 3numbers 1 letter?

I cant fit any other format?
Vin 5921
If you are after a nice Northern Irish plate try Wilson's Auctions.

I got a nice 3 digit number plate last year its starts with WXI, downside its a 1991 plate but it was only £250 all fees included at that price.

Here is a link to their Wilsons website:

http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/numberplates
The DeLorean DMC-12 - MADE IN BELFAST, MADE TO LAST
There are a few registration numbers associated with early cars reg in NI, including:-

AXI , SIJ, RIA, XOI, WIA ...spring to mind, plus GUI they can often be bought for a few hundred £..
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
All correct, but the initial one they give you to start with will be ABC123W. Or if it,s a late '81, ABC123X.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
I can confirm what everyone else has written really. Mine is an October '81, and the DVLA gave me a 'W' reg plate (wasn't given any options though?)

Good news is it was a very quick process - about 3 days to get the temporary certificate through (allows you to buy plates and 'properly' insure the vehicle). Then another 5 or so days for the full V5 document.

Good luck Smile
Stephen Partt
Bristol
Yep despite always sending in a photo of the VIN plate which states the month and year of manufacture, DumbVLA always issue a W plate even though it should get an X. You can kick up a fuss if you like but most don’t bother. A Northern Irish plate is basically dateless so you can legally put it on a DeLorean and it’s entirely appropriate. I know of a couple of cars which wear their vin number on their NI plate: 4426 and 3720. Speedyreg are a good source of NI plates. If it contains 7 characters, at least 4 of which are I’s or 1’s, it’ll fit on one line legally using the motorbike font (which is legal on imported cars).
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Thanks very much chaps. Appreciated. Just wanted to see what format I should be looking for on the private plates sites. Was seeing what I could make myself and what I would be allowed Smile
Vin 5921
when Phill bought #6772, he didnt want an 'age related' plate and bought SOR83T
on Ebay for about £500, and the car was registered with that from new by DVLA
in Nottingham. Its never had any other number assigned, he simply provided a
Retention Certificate with that number on when he applied to register the car in the UK.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
#1458 was first registered on IIL 1611 too, though thi swas a problem when I came to transfer it back -off- again.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
I dont understand why the rules and regs are different for Northern Irish Reg cars and GB mainland car regs.

In NI we cant put any plate on any car where as in GB your plate has to be the same year as the car or older....the money I pay for my car tax goes to the coffers as you guys Confused

The only difference is NI cars are registered by the main tax office in Coleraine whilst yours is Swansea regardless if its an English Scottish or Welsh registered vehicle.

I have a 2005 Renault Sport Clio 182 and recall seeing on newreg.com the reg CL10 DSC which represents the car and my initials, and I was told I couldnt put it on the car despite the fact the reg would have been on an NI car Sad glad it didnt happen though as it wouldnt look right on the Delorean :p
The DeLorean DMC-12 - MADE IN BELFAST, MADE TO LAST