Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Stereo suggestions
whilst Her Hank is replacing various bits of my car to please the german authorities,
ive been passing the time by looking at potential replacements for the stereo.

its a standard DIN Kenwood in there at the moment but its rather flashy and silver and looks a little out of place.

the main requirement is a cassette deck or front panel aux in(or both) but i want something that looks 1980s (ie like its supposed to be there)

ive considered the ones from retrosound but they are rather expensive.

if i cant find a retro looking modern one, im considering a decent 80s looking 2nd hand cassette radio

does anyone have any suggestions either way?

Simon.
Simon Wood
DOC 748
VIN #11766
I went with this stereo for my car, it does have a CD player and front mounted USB input.

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/arch ... /page.html

The main reason I bought it, is because the colour of the display is customisable, and it does have a colour setting which blends very nicely with the rest of the centre console.

If you want something more retro looking, then a Retrosound or older second hand stereo is probably the way to go.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Yes I have a similar stereo problem - although I've been hunting for an old Craig R3 unit to keep things nice and original. No luck so far, the hunt continues.

I will probably have to submit and get that retro one you have seen. But as you say it is rather keenly priced for what it is I think.
Stephen Partt
Bristol
I have also fitted one of the pioneer jobbies .....because it had been cut out for a modern unit anyway and I liked the Red display.....matches the rest of the car, and it got Blue-tong as well!

I do have an old untested DeLorean one, minus knobs and front plate. It could probably be salvaged.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Remember Simon, you now have a DIN shapped hole in your console rather than the smaller one for the OEM post-style radio. Though you may be able to swap consoles with someone who wants to install a DIN radio.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Dangermouse Wrote:Remember Simon, you now have a DIN shapped hole in your console rather than the smaller one for the OEM post-style radio. Though you may be able to swap consoles with someone who wants to install a DIN radio.

yeah, thats whats got me hesitating about the retrosound one as ive heard its possible to mount in a DIN slot but ive not seen any evidence as to how you do this.
i guess one option would be to buy a broken DIN radio on ebay, gut it and then mount the retrosound one inside the case.

i think for now, im going to go with this,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004230FME

its cheap, looks a bit dated, has a front aux in port (which is one of my main issues with the current one) and at least should fit a bit better with the interior on the grounds of it not being silver and purple.

then i can look at something more 80s later in the year.
Simon Wood
DOC 748
VIN #11766
I know new ( aftermarket) metal consoles were available if anyones has been chopped and they want to revert to originals.

Unless you are you are into originality in a big way, I prefer something that actually works well, blue tooth is a definite safety feature in my book.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Just checked in my garage, I do have a spare "chopped" console if anybody needs one, to save chopping theirs.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I thought the germans were into FM long before us so you would probably be able to pick up something old which still had FM, over here anything with the post-style knobs is almost always an 'LLMMMMM' pushbutton LW/ MW radio.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126