rhd
(marty)
doc 421
Delorean Dream within a Dream
roll on eurotec 2009 love you all
[Image: covercarpics034.jpg]

[Image: mybanner48c1296704f7enw1.jpg]
Yep,

I had EBC Red stuff pads in mine, New Master Cylinder and Braided hoses. Ask TT, Chris Hawes or Glen how good they were. It was a very cheap and effective upgrade.

I think Chris Hawes has Ed's Vented front discs and they good aswell.

Dan
Dan's right I do have Ed's vented discs but with the green pads just at the front. The rears are completely stock.

What I do want to get around to is install a new brake master cylinder as the stock ones seem to brake 63% at the front where as the replacements are 50% front rear split.

Combined with the red pads Dan is describing all round and taking out any play from when you press the brake pedal gives like new car braking.

Another one to add to the list when time and funds allow Wink
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Thanks for your replies. Did you use a stock dmc servo or did you use from another vehicle. Also any ideas how to make the hand brake better.
cheers tracey
vin 6484
rhd
(marty)
doc 421

I used the standard DMC servo and the MC I used was from a SAAB 900, the early one upto about 1988. Not the ABS one. This gives you a 50/50 split.

I also adjusted all of the play out of the servo's push rod.

As for the Hand brake your never going to get it fantastic as the hand brake pads a very small. EBC do black stuff pads that are very good. There alot better then the standard ones.

Also bleed the brakes until there is no air. I used a good old fashioned ez Bleed. Works fantastically.

Dan
http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/

DeLorean is on the list too !

Front:
Black (oem) - DP291 - £12.10
Green - DP2291 - £35.08
Red - DP 3291
Yellow - DP 4291

Rear:
Black (oem) - DP101 - £16.97
Green - DP2101 - £40.59
Red - DP3101

NickT
tracey steele Wrote:Thanks for your replies. . Also any ideas how to make the hand brake better.

The only thing i can think of is Arnold Swarzaneggers left arm, or right in your case tracy Big Grin
TT ps i cant spell either :lol:
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
just thinkiing they test the hand brake at mot and they seem to pass ok, ive never noticed mine 'slip ' and ive parked on some very steep hills Smile

Maybe just needs adjustment on the cable ??
I had Ed's vented front disks, EBC pads all round again from Ed and replaced all the calipers with new, well unused callipers that I rebuilt using Stainless Steel pistons. Oh and new OEM rear disks and the car stopped a LOT better, I'm sure Ben can tell you what the braking is like...not sure he has driven another D to compare with tho. Dan's brakes were good with the red stuff and well worth a punt, but you may find the callipers need rebuilding as sometimes the caliper is full of bad fluid that you can't bleed out and that can cause juddering.

The servo / brake master is not the week point of the system, if you want to improve braking over stock you need to upgrade the calipers. The 4 pot calipers from the Austin Princess fit, a lot of the Ford Capri guys did that upgrade. In fact one club member is in the process of fitting Princess 4 pot calipers with vented disks. Do a search on Google for Ford Capri caliper upgrade and you will find people like Wilwood...
[Image: midiliteweb2.jpg]
This is the caliper that fits the D, but make sure if buying you ask for the Cortina adapter.

Also you need to look at the rear brakes as improving the front will obviously effect the rear, I have been told the Jag did a 4 pot version of the D's rear calipers but the are quite rare and expensive. Ed Uding also mention of a Fiat I think that would fit the purpose.
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
Tourettes Tony Wrote:
tracey steele Wrote:Thanks for your replies. . Also any ideas how to make the hand brake better.

The only thing i can think of is Arnold Swarzaneggers left arm, or right in your case tracy Big Grin
TT ps i cant spell either :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cheers tracey
vin 6484
rhd
(marty)
doc 421

I've been hearing horror stories about the red, and even green pads glazing and being terrible for normal road use. If I were going to get a set to improve my brakes, which should I choose and what do I have to watch out for? I assume the red ones will want to be kept hot to work well?
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
Oh yes... She stops alright!!!! Smile A highly recommended upgrade here, and although as chris says, I have not driven another D, I can't imagine what the brakes would be like without this upgrade.
Mr.P
Rob,

The red ones are designed for fast road/mild track use. I found that the weight of the Delorean made them work very well as the front discs are not vented they got upto heat on the first application.

Had no problems with glazing or damage to the disc. I also run Red Stuff pads in my Esprit and they are fantastic on that too.

It all comes down to how you bed in the pads. Do it correctly and all will be fine. I have a fast way of bedding pads in that I was taught by an Ex race driver and now tech expert at Lotus. A bit long to explain but it entails high speed breaking to standstill and then STANDING on the pedal. This is repeated a few times and can be redone anytime when you feel the pads may need it.

Infact it's light breaking that causes glazing.
Ok, that sounds promising. I assumed it was stuff like using the brakes a small amount to keep on the speed limit as you drive down a hill which caused problems, and that's something I never do. I think that's decided it for me.
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152