Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeLorean Back on Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-DE-LOREA ... 27d3b5f495

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Well, i think this is well over priced to me. ( Sorry if the seller is a club member..but I say what I think)

The engine looks very scruffy, it certainly has not been stored very well. Are my eyes are not deceiving me or it is silver painted? ( I didn't see it the first time around on eBay so its all new to me) If it is, then then that knocks off another 30% of its normal value.

I personally like red interiors and have kept mine, but i really don't like the " Action man hair" seats! Or are they covers? Im sure they are never original, even if the rest of the trim is.

Dont think that being a one off , and / or an ex-middle east car makes it more desirable. It adds to its interest but not to its value. ( in my opinion)

I've said this before.....a DeLorean is a Delorean is a Delorean.....We know that RHD's have extra worth, simply because of the cost involved in converting them, but for the rest of it. Judge what is before your eye's. This one looks as if it will need a load of time ( if not money) to get it sorted.

I personally would value much less than £20k if it is painted, say .....low teens, if its not painted then high teens.

Again just my opinion....but I am on my 13th one!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Chris P Wrote:Are my eyes are not deceiving me or it is silver painted?

It is indeed silver painted. It's been on and off fleabay for nearly a year now with nobody biting since the price requested is too high for what the car is worth.
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
I suppose one would need to know why it was painted silver, if it's what was requested by it's first owner then everything should be OK underneath at least.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
there was a silver one in the US recently, that was one of the origianl "dealer painted" ones. It started as red and then was repainted blue (or possibly vice versa). The last owner didn't want to risk stripping it, so they had it painted silver, as the closest approximation to stainless.

The new owner is supposedly taking it back to SS anyway Smile
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
as said above really, but one thing that hits me is i have listed more details when selling a washing machine for £70 so they really need to learn how to sell cars online.

I think the interior and the painted shell just ticks 2 boxes to put most off.

what would we price it at really? id say it is hard to do for the same fact there is just no info on anything!
The seller seems to be new to eBay....no previous history.

As a matter of fact, cars based in Scotland and at other extremities of the UK are harder to sell, simply because of the difficulties of viewing. All the more reason to give heaps of detail and photo's in the advert. Im not surprised its been hanging around for a year. .....perhaps another year will pass........
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
0 feedback too.
A friend of mine went to see this one for me and took some pics of the underside of the car. I then sent them on to another member and he reckoned there was at least £10K of work needed. The car hasn't had an MOT in 25 years, the red interior is unlikely to have been done at Dunmurry despite what the owner says. Add that to the fact that the car was originally painted green and is now painted silver I don't think it's worth even half of the £20K asked for. It's been on car and classic for months and ebay a couple of times which says it all.
Richard M.
Edenbridge, Kent
VIN 981
It does have the 'middle eastern' aka 'Lada Niva' style front indicators/sidelights. Agree it looks quite rough though, if that's worth 20K then good condition running DeLoreans would be at 40K!

Chris P Wrote:As a matter of fact, cars based in Scotland and at other extremities of the UK are harder to sell, simply because of the difficulties of viewing.

I just travelled from London to the southern border of Northern Ireland to look at / buy an old 4x4 Smile But yes, needs a good description to make it worth the risk / effort.
Quote:The car hasn't had an MOT in 25 years, the red interior is unlikely to have been done at Dunmurry despite what the owner says. Add that to the fact that the car was originally painted green and is now painted silver
Thats interesting and very helpful, thanks for posting that up. seems to deepen the painted mystery though!

Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584