Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LPG Conversion?
exactly Chris Smile

If you're DeLorean was cheaper to run (post conversion) would you be tempted to use it more? Smile

I wanted to use Flopsy more then I did last year, but I was getting fed up of the constant (and expensive) trips to the petrol station. Sad

We are currently negotiating a deal with an LPG parts supplier, but as it stands at the moment, a DIY kit for the DeLorean, including VAT and the £90 certification fee, is just over £800. So, based on fuel costs being £100 less on LPG per 1000 miles, it will take 8000 miles to pay for itself. Phill did over 9000 miles in Sorbet last year alone!

I'd been toying with the idea of just fitting the Rapier with hardened valve stem seals, etc, and getting her retuned so that she could run on unleaded without me having to put an expensive additive in all the time. However, this worked out as roughly the same cost as converting the car to LPG - and you dont have take the engine apart to do it. Smile

Anyway, we will keep you all posted on developments, but at the moment our only stumbling block is cashflow.......... :roll:

Cheers,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
For those considering a such a conversion don't forget to check out the availability of LPG in your area. Luckily for those of us in the N Derby area it's available in Belper, Ripley, Allestree and I believe Wirksworth.
Life begins at 90 degrees....
Well done!

[Image: trophy1.gif]

Stick up some pics of the installation when you get a mo matey Smile
well done Dean, be interesting to see it.

It was only cash flow (or lack of after my car accident) that has stopped us converting ours by now.

Cheers,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie