Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Northern Ireland
Hi everyone,

I have been a long term lurker of this webpage and finally decided to sign up and join the fun.

I have been a fan of the DeLorean since they came out, I had no choice in the matter as the main entrance to the factory was on my parents front door step. I recall my mum and dad calling me every time the Belfast bound transporters came along with the cars loaded on the back heading for the docks, for my parents it was an easy way to entertain a 3/4 year old, I just stood in awe at the front window! I still remember my mum telling me the factory was closing and production of the car had stopped, to say I was disappointed was an understatement. To this day it is still my ultimate....my Vauxhalll obsessed mates just shake their heads!

There are great examples of cars on this website, they are a credit to you all! If things work out (fingers crossed) I should have a Delorean of my own in the very near future, so I will be hoping to pick your brains on how to fix, maintain and improve the car.....and make some new friends along the way!

David
The DeLorean DMC-12 - MADE IN BELFAST, MADE TO LAST
Welcome to the forum David.

I did things the other way around, after discovering the cars at the NEC classic car show, many years ago, I started visiting Northern Ireland regularly. Its a beautiful place with wonderful countryside and people. One of my proudest moments were driving my car "Dusty" (a RHD with only 4 miles on the clock, when I set off from Derby) , to Stormont (with about 40 other cars) and later right down to the bottom of the Giants Causeway.

Have you been "up close" to a car? If not, 'm sure a club member over there would oblige if you wanted a little ride around the block.

Best regards.

Chris P Historian
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Indeed, a warm welcome! It's great to have some first-hand experience of the original story on board - even if you were only a junior! I can imagine it would have seemed very exciting seeing a convoy of all these futuristic-looking cars heading for the docks six at a time. Hopefully you can complete the circle and have your own one day, chances are you would have seem a glimpse of that same car all those years ago!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Thanks for the welcome Smile

Chris , I have been up close to the Deloreans on many occasions, I have visted a few of the Eurofests as well last one was 2006. Certainly remember being down at the factory early to mid ninties for an event, was that maybe the first Eurofest? Also we have met before at a motorshow in the Kings Hall in the late 90's early 00's, you had a Delorean stand in the back exhibition hall.....selling the DMC tie pins of which I bought one and still have. We had a discussion about the parts etc I was amazed at the fact it was Ford Cortina brakes Smile

Sounds like you had a great journey to Belfast in the DMC, the chance to drive the car around the test track must be amazing!

Richard I am lead to believe they were great days, I think the road outside my parents house was altered to accomodate the lorries, it was made wider to create the right turn lane to go up the Cutts. Yes fingers crossed I will be going full circle and "Live the Dream" ....
The DeLorean DMC-12 - MADE IN BELFAST, MADE TO LAST
Thats allright then David.

Yes along with some of the Eurofests , where I was helping Dave H sell his bits, I did a Classic Car show in Belfast in the winter of 2002....my BTTF car was on a covered trailer.....it snowed all the way home!

You will get one, one day.....I can feel it!

Just writing up the bit about the brakes....apparently its not stickily true that were "straight off" a Cortina, but the castings are the same. Read the book when it comes out.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hi David,

welcome to the DOC-UK Big Grin

I was at Eurofest in 2006 - maybe our paths crossed?

Here's to you 'Living the Dream' very soon Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie