Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much do you spend on maintenance each year?
williamsc47 Wrote:Hey James, thanks for your post Smile

For the most part it does seem that it may be less expensive a proposition than I had originally thought, which can only be a good thing Smile The opinion of those who don't own one seems to be that they are very difficult to find parts for and are very expensive to keep on the road. The reality from actual owners seems as though it might not be as bad as many seem to make out.

I can see how you could spend £5k on a Delorean as it would most certainly become a hobby, but sadly most of us cannot afford such luxuries. I would be more than happy with a nice Delorean that is in good working order that is generaly reliable and looks good anything else would be a bonus

Yeah, i would say that if you just want to keep a DeLorean reliable and safe £500 per year for a DIY'er when averaged over many years of ownership, is probably very achievable (forgetting insurance tax etc... and dependant on mileage)

Also depends what kind of car you start with, I've kept mine bobbing along, never done a full restoration as such just kept it so I'm happy, I do all the work myself and if I can repair rather than renew then I will.

Most casual observers, in fact all of them come to think of it comment that my car is in amazing condition, easy to forget its 33 years old, and when it's your own car it's easy to focus on all the little niggles which most people would never notice. It's sorting those little niggles which can set you back the big money.

Luckily for a relativly low production car there is such an active online community offering support as well as people, be they businesses or individuals reproducing parts all the time.

With the Internet and constant investment by individuals and businesses in replacement parts there has probably never been an easier time to own and maintain a DeLorean.

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
JamesRGUK Wrote:Yeah, i would say that if you just want to keep a DeLorean reliable and safe £500 per year for a DIY'er when averaged over many years of ownership, is probably very achievable (forgetting insurance tax etc... and dependant on mileage)

Also depends what kind of car you start with, I've kept mine bobbing along, never done a full restoration as such just kept it so I'm happy, I do all the work myself and if I can repair rather than renew then I will.

Most casual observers, in fact all of them come to think of it comment that my car is in amazing condition, easy to forget its 33 years old, and when it's your own car it's easy to focus on all the little niggles which most people would never notice. It's sorting those little niggles which can set you back the big money.

Luckily for a relativly low production car there is such an active online community offering support as well as people, be they businesses or individuals reproducing parts all the time.

With the Internet and constant investment by individuals and businesses in replacement parts there has probably never been an easier time to own and maintain a DeLorean.

J

From what everyone has said so far it does seem as though my potential budget should be enough to keep a nice DeLorean in nice condition. But as you said, much of that will depend on what you start out with. As I have said in other posts this might be the hardest part when the time comes.

The support for DeLorean owners does seem to be pretty incredible considering the low production of the car, so yeah things are looking up Smile I notice that you even have a side line of making hard to find parts/bits....very nice Smile