Help on how to change axle boot please
Ben is looking at doing this as well: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4611
Not done it myself so cant be much help
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi,

If you have never done a cv boot ....DONT tackle it yourself.
The job is relatively easy for an experienced mechanic, it would take about an hour to do with all the tools & know how.

An inner or outer boot doesn't make any difference you'll need to split the shaft...that's where the know how and skill comes into play without that you could damage splines/shaft.

OR you could opt for a stretch boot... Ive fitted them to Porche Boxsters as you have to buy the complete shaft if the boot splits :roll: .....with the DMC take out the shaft cut off the old boot and slide a stretch boot over the cv using a bit of lubricant, no shaft splitting involved... I would opt for this option if I were you.
Boot cost £5 at any motor factors then just cut it to size...easy peasy. :wink: Yes it will do the job and will probably be better than a made to fit DMC boot. The rear cv's don't do much movement so it will stand any test of time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Slide-a ... 27d0b99e03

sorry I cant help you out with the job as I'm an overseas member.
It's not difficult at all Steve- just get a copy of a Renault 30 driveshaft removal article from a Haynes manual ( same basic procedure, I can email you a copy if necessary ) hardest parts getting the car securely up in the air to access the bits from underneath , a four post garage ramps ideal, but it can be done on axle stands.
It's a fiddly job, but apart from an Allen key and circlip pliers its easily done. Just be careful with the extra weight on the back of your car! 8)
PS, don't mess around with quick slide on boots, if its worth doing, do it once and do it properly!
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
I'll email you the pages, bear in mind there are slight differences such as the Allen key bolt fixings, but the principles the same. Take time to clean everything out and regrease with the proper amount-not difficult, but make sure everything's tight, I have the torque settings somewhere.
It took me a morning to do one side, if you can take a wheel off you can easily do it! 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!