Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 4494 - UK Legal and on the road!
Quote:Oh well, I can act as a case-study for their UK longevity I guess!
Yes it is interesting as I have not been told of an issue yet in the UK of the gas leaking and with the first of them coming up to 7 Shock (crikey where does the time go) years old I would have thought a few issues would have started now. Hears the very first thread on them: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1818
As I say I really do wonder if it's either very hot or very cold states that are having an issue, certinally there does seem to be an issue with them now.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Update time! I had to delay the MOt by a month... then by a weekend... but it finally caught up with me today. Passed without advisories, so taking that as an endorsement for my hard-work Big Grin

Though the pictures have all the detail;

[Image: 5bgawHk.png]
Trailing Arms just needed some rust and flaking epoxy treated

[Image: j7tMJ4X.jpg]
LCAs boxed with new ball-joints

[Image: oLYd0pt.jpg]
Clutch Master rebuilt. No time to pull the pedal-box, so just a quick clean-up and paint for now.

[Image: 1rrQhBH.jpg]
Rear-end came together nicely!

[Image: nh0SFiR.jpg]
Front-end too!

[Image: ubylQuV.jpg]
To celebrate the hard-work and MOT Victory I took her for a 200 mile drive until I literally ran out of road. Fun-stuff!

All in, the jobs completed are;
  • New Shocks
  • New lower ball-joints
  • New front-wheel bearings
  • New tie-rod ends
  • New poly-bushes all round (other than Trailing Arm bushes)
  • Made and fitted new battery cables to replace the stock ones (my battery finally fits in the compartment again!)
  • Ed's LCA braces fitted
  • Rebuilt clutch master cylinder
  • Fitted new clutch slave cylinder
  • Fitted DPNW Radiator bleeder
  • Brake and Clutch systems flushed
  • Coolant Flushed
  • Lots of cleaning, paint stripping, painting and detailing
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
All looks very nice, you will have to let us all know what you think of Ed's LCA brackets I keep pondering on these!
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
After a busy day of driving for a Wedding I was able to snap a few shots in the fantastic weather we had up north today;

[Image: Bngqy4c.jpg]

[Image: fQrcfJH.jpg]

As for Eds' braces, it's a bit hard to tell since I replaced all the bushings, shocks and ball-joints at the same time. I've put about 260 miles on the car with them and everything certainly feels a lot tighter and more responsive.

I had to do one emergency stop at the weekend when a sheep ran into the road and it felt a lot more controlled than before I had the braces. So my review so far is that there is a perceivable difference, but unsure it's worth the ~£260 asking price. Certainly worth tackling the other elements of the front end first if there is anything else needing focused.

I'll update my review as I go though, as I need to put some more serious miles on her!
DOC 757
Just seen thread update, liking the pics.
I think a D looks arty either shiny in an industrially setting or dusty and used in the dirty. Just like the look.
From your write up, did you not fit the DPNW anti-rollbar kit? I've been told this makes the biggest difference to handling. Although also pricey.
The side-long view on the dusty road is my favourite picture of the car, I have it set as my desktop background at work Big Grin

As for the DPNW ARB kit I didn't cover installation of that here as that was something the previous owner had already done. So I just refurbished the bar along with other hardware then re-installed.
DOC 757
Looks a great job well done! Big Grin
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Coming late to this discussion - and great work, by the way...!!

... whereabuts are the OEM Griling shocks available from please?
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Very good job on the car, and an amazing picture with a beautiful landscape Tongue
Quote:whereabuts are the OEM Griling shocks available from please?
I got a set of rears to tied me over in the spring. About 80euro IIRC NOS so no warranty
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Coming late to this discussion - and great work, by the way...!!

... whereabuts are the OEM Griling shocks available from please?

Thanks! Though I'm not sure on the girling shocks, my new ones are SPAX. I only found out about the bad reputation after purchasing them... But no problems so far!
DOC 757