Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a DMC to restore - 13k GPB or less
Hi there, It is a great pleasure be part of this community. I think it's best to start this message with a little presentation Smile . I live in a small town in Northern Italy called Belluno, I work as a technician for a local TV station, this job gives me a bit of money, but let's say that the crisis is really beating us down so actually I'm not very rich. Luckily I still live with my parents so I don't have to spend money to survive (at the moment Smile ). I'm a member of the Italian Delorean Club, and lately I've been wondering how I could do to own a Delorean and to drive it currently since I love to drive and I love the car itself. At the beginning I thought that this was a bad idea because of its cost, the fact that they're so rare and so on. But little by little I started to change my mind and here I am looking for a DMC 12 for real! So good I am endorsed spiritually from my father who also loves to drive. I just imagine, from time to time, what driving around my small city with a sports car like that would mean!

However, in these days I've been sending TONS of emails to private sellers and also Car markets but I have been receiving very few answers (I don't now why). Moreover, this answers were so negative (like "I've already sold it") and so I was beginning to feel a little down hearted. The Delorean trades here in Italy are very rare, I would say they're almost non existent.

Briefly: I was looking for a car that is not perfect. I don't have much money as I said, but in these three years of working I collected a bit of cash and I'm ready to spend around 15.000 euros for the basic car (about 13.000 GPB). Don't forget that I'll have to spend more money to ship the car and do all the bureaucracy stuff. My moves were to find a car which could run but needed so much work as I love to make things personally. For example I would probably change brakes and suspentions in order to optimize it for European roads. All the rest does not have to be in perfect shape because monthly I would adjust every crack and fix every damage but I really can not afford more than 15.000 euros for the first acquisition. I know I will spend more money in the future to take care of the car, but simply I can not afford all the money in one moment. The classic "barn find car" would be perfect! Big Grin

Now the car: I'm looking exclusively for a manual transmission car, I like black interiors and It would be a good thing for the car to have the gas flap hood (early VIN). The last one is however not a strict condition. I know that there are a lot of threads which deal with this very subject, but as I said I sent so much emails and read a lot of discussions (in various forums) and I started to think that many of the ads are just sooo old and the sellers don't own the car anymore. Moreover, I'm from Italy and here the Deloreans are very much expensive, as they are completely restored (for sure you don't find a DMC in a barn here in Europe).

But I feel so... lonely! It seems that it is nearly impossible for an Italian young folk to just reach that magnificent car! I'm self confident anyway.

I would be happy If you could send me your opinions and, why not, your offers.

PS: I know I probably do a lot of grammar mistakes, but I hope you will understand everything!

Best Regards and thank you anyway!

Smile

Giovanni Zanon
Of course I meant GBP not GPB... Big Grin just a little swiftness mistakeMr Green
...Have you considered sourcing your car from the States? With the sort of budget you are quoting, you are probably much more likely to source a car of around this value, or even less in some cases (needing a LOT more work done to it, which means it may not be immediately drivable for you) from the States. You would need to buy a poorer condition car from there, to then have the headroom in cost available for shipping the car over "the pond" and of course all of Italy's own import costs too.

To try and find a car of that cost, from somewhere Europe, which is drivable, never mind a poor enough car regardless of condition, in order justify such a low cost in the first place, is not a common occurrence I feel. Your search may go on for a very long time indeed. I think you're in with more of a shout of success by looking in the States and consider shipping one over from there....

(I might be wrong, lets see what others think)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Giovanni had posted a similar thread on DMCTalk (hi Giovanni Big Grin ) saying that he was having trouble getting replies from sellers over in the States and I was thinking that may be be because the seller didn't want to deal with an international buyer.

I suggested that he post here to learn how UK guys go about dealing with private sellers/ebayer in the States (and also to see if there were any cars available in the UK).
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Thats funny, dear Dangermouse! :lol:

In fact I had little confidence in finding the right "cheap" car the UK (as I explained in the other forum) but I just wanted to try. And of course I add the other question, the one that Mr. Dangermouse was suggesting: how did you came in contact with your Delorean? Do you think that the "route" tht you followed can be done by myself too? Can you help me in this pursuit, thinking about your personal DMC stories?

Big Grin
With my car currently passing through the Panama Canal en route from California, I suppose I can provide some insight!

From my early communications looking to buy a car I think I had the wrong approach; I was highlighting my intention, fandom and budget too highly rather than treating it like a well researched decision that I was ready to commit to. Most US Sellers seem apprehensive since there seems to be a high amount of international Tyre-kickers that ask lots of questions with no intention to purchase, so coming across as just another kid who wants a time-machine means you'll get little response!

The biggest advantage I found was being as concise as possible with my initial communication. I found the following helped get a good response whilst talking with sellers on eBay/DMCTalk;

-Highlight you are an international buyer. State that if they are not happy dealing internationally that you would rather not waste each others time. Helps show you value your own time as much as theirs!

-Highlight you have enough money at hand to buy the car and ship it straight up, if you are happy with the condition of the vehicle

-Do the appropriate research for exporting the car and how long this process may take after purchase, let the seller know this so he knows you are serious and how long he may have to keep the car stored whilst you lock down a haulier!

-Identified any expectations I had from the seller as concise as possible (e.g. further pictures, questions needing answered, etc...) and that if you are happy with the answers you are ready to purchase there and then.

-Wrap it up with a quick blurb explicitly highlighting the fact you aren't a time waster or a scammer, and link to some more direct information about yourself (Linked In, personal website, etc...) and identify any DeLorean club memberships you have.

Simply put; The easier you make things for the seller and the more ready you are to purchase, the more likely they are to consider you!

Hope that helps Smile
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
Very helpful advices! I thank you, it's just the same tactic that works with girls! Mr Green

Right so I'll keep on with my pursuit... any other suggestion is welcome

8)
Ciao Giovanni Smile

I wonder if Ed Uding at DMC Europe in Holland has any project cars or knows of any?

Good luck in your search Giovanni, and welcome to the forum, I really hope you find
yourself 'Living the Dream' in the very near future.

Best wishes,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Giovanni,

I mentioned this on DMCtalk

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1035346978

From

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4269&p=38008&hilit=project#p38008

So they are available. Remember you will have to factor a large amount of road haulage (trans-US then trans-European) for any you buy from the states.

Good luck!! 8)

andy
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1035346978

that listing ended 6 months ago ?
Yep,

As an example of a car available for 13k. So thay are available ie. they come up, just not many about...

cheers

a
andyd Wrote:Yep,

As an example of a car available for 13k. So thay are available ie. they come up, just not many about...

cheers

a

ah right. Also, might be worth seeing if Chris Nicholson at PJ Grady knows of any project cars, or even if
Martin knows of any.
I mailed PJ Grady weeks ago, but I don't know why I did not get any response... Maybe something went wrong with the sending process (I would hope Smile ). I'll send it a PM in this forum, I saw that they are registered... perhaps they'll consider my needs...
Hi Giovanni

I had been looking for a long while myself - until December last year that is. Therefore I kinda know what has been available in the past at this price point. Whilst a couple of D's have sold for 13K-ish in the last few years over here (and indeed one in a UK classic car auction did sell for 10K), you are going to struggle to find one for that sort of money right now.

I advise you do what I did. And that's buy a US one off of Ebay. All in all it cost me about £10,500 to get the car back to PJ Gradys in Essex (advisory note here is that this is very much a 'project' car. Much money has, and will be spent to get the car sorted and roadworthy again.) The whole import procedure was pretty painless really. And thanks to just 5% import duty for the UK, then not to expensive either.

I'm not sure what sort of Duty you will be stung by when importing it? But you should definitely be able to buy a US project D for around £8K. Be patient and keep scanning US Ebay.

Regards
Steve Smile
Stephen Partt
Bristol
Also worth keeping tabs on the following Facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/DeloreansForSale?fref=ts

I bring it up since it currently mentions

Quote:DMC Fl has a project Delorean for sale. VIN 5992, grey interior, 5 speed. Asking 10k. Contact 239-405-7253
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757