Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Performance Cam Shafts and Stage 2 Engines
Hi All,

I have been asked over the last few weeks about where DMCL got there performance Cam's from.

Well they were reground by a company called GTO engineering. There number is 01189401101 and ask for Kevin.

This guy has been playing with PRV's for years and is a wealth of knowledge.

The only other bits needed for a stage 2 are a Volvo Metering head, a Volvo Ignition Dizzy and a good exhaust.

KMI can supply the Metering Head and Dizzy. There number is 02073857138. Also I believe Ed Uding also sells them.
........hmmm.............so **if** I wanted a slightly quicker Flopsy (currently "stage 1"), all I'd need then is the Cams and a stainless exhaust? (and the cash of course!) :wink:

Food for thought I guess........... Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Yep, Basically a free flowing exhaust and the cams are all thats needed. The cams are quite cheap to do but the exhaust is the bit that costs.

Should of grabbed my old one off of Ed when he was selling it.

The cam timing also needs to be redone but thats not too hard to do. You just need a degree wheel and a dial gauge, which I have.

Oh and it's a far bit quicker Big Grin
hmmmm.......well, its very tempting, but like you say the exhaust is the expensive bit (over a grand), so its one of those things that can wait until I've (ever) got the money to do it.

It's not as if there are never gonna be supplies of the stuff to do it, so its one of those jobs that can sit on the back burner for now.

Cheers for the advice on how to do the 'Stage 2' though mate, its very much appreciated Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
talking of exhausts im making one very soon and Mr Nicholson is welding it for me as the bunch of grapes look will not do it justice :lol: :lol:
TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Dan,

A couple of questions if you dont mind Big Grin

Were the metering heads refurbed to any specific spec? or were they just a (for example) a volvo 260 one? or simply the Delorean one reconditioned?
What about the injectors were these left as standard or did you fit a different one to match the metering head or does it not maatter as much with these?
Cheers
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi Chris,

I used KMI to refurbish the Metering Heads. For the Stage 2 engines we used the Volvo 260 Head. KMI will supply Capri metering heads specced to the Volvo flow rate for the cost of the refurb, so you dont need to find a metering head.

The Injectors were not changed from standard ones, however the spray pattern was checked.

There was a problem however and that was the Hydrocarbons. It was tricky to get the engine through an MOT but not impossible.

Also with the high lift cams the Tappet gap is Increased.

Dan
Daniel Shane Wrote:There was a problem however and that was the Hydrocarbons. It was tricky to get the engine through an MOT but not impossible.

Also with the high lift cams the Tappet gap is Increased.

Dan

Yeah still working on the hydrocarbons things. I've got the new NOS fuel lines back on now so I'd be interested to see how it performs on an MOT now.

The NOS fuels lines certainly helped smooth out the idle though!
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

[Image: signature.jpg]

Emagine Productions

W: www.emagineproductions.co.uk
High Hydro-Carbons (HC) is an indication of a very rich mixture.

This would indicate the fuelling is rich and/ or set this way to compensate for richer fuelling at high revs to take into account the high overlap cams.

What is the %CO (carbon monoxide) reading at this setup?
Any more than 2.5% is set very rich.

NickT.
Well had it on a gas analyser last time about 2 weeks ago after the NOS fuel hoses went in to re-tune it.

It was reading about 1.8%
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

Emagine Productions

Dan,

Thanks for that, much appreciated.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Emagine Wrote:Well had it on a gas analyser last time about 2 weeks ago after the NOS fuel hoses went in to re-tune it.

It was reading about 1.8%

Other than a high oil level, low compression, poor piston to cylinder clearance or piston rings, leaky poor spray fuel injector, worn spark plugs I wouldn't know without having a look.

You are allowed up to 1200ppm HC which is fairly generous.

NickT.
Well before the NOS fuel lines were fitted you could pass the HC emissions test by taking the RPM's up to 2000, which you are allowed to do apparently.

Now that the idle is smoothed out I'm hoping it won't be such an issue.

It was a known issue that the new style fuel lines would cause pulsing of the injectors in the stage II engine. For some reason fitting NOS lines solved the problem. Strange huh.
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

Emagine Productions

Eh thats strange ...what fuel lines did you have on before bud ?
I had the ones that DMUK did. The shiny black ones with the blue stripe.
Stuart
VIN# 5641 "Maddie"
DOC 414
Ware, Herts. UK

Emagine Productions