Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 10719 has a reg number...in less than a week!
Can't believe it. In less than a week I've had 10719 MOT'd AND registered with the DVLA. It's new registration number is [b]URR836X[/b

Just need to get plates all sorted. What size do I get for the back then? Anyone recommend anyone online or otherwise?

Then, the back is simple enough to attach I imagine, but what about the front? Don't want to drill any holes in the bumper, that's for sure.
Mark Sutton

Importing VIN #10719.

http://www.delorean-dream.blogspot.co.uk
www.craigsplates.co.uk

These guys will either do pressed metal or regular laminated plates in the correct size for the rear bezel.

You can just use a regular uk plate on the front but i went for the same size as the rear... and my front one is held on with double sided 3M foam tape as like yourself I didnt want to drill holes. You can buy special brackets too if you dont fancy using double sised tape....

Hope this helps... !

MrP
when you order a rear plate, you need a US bevel sized one (11x5 iirc), as a motorcycle
one or a Jap size one wont show the letters clearly.

FWIW, I had a discussion with VOSA about this the other year, as 'Sorbet's' rear numberplate
was failed by an MOT tester (for the first time ever) due to the font not being standard height.

VOSA advised, that if a numberplate needs to be clearly shown in the apeture available on the
car for it, without the need to modify the vehicle.

So therefore, you can get away with what would otherwise be in illegal plate (as long as its not
a stupid font) on the back of a DeLorean. Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I used Craigsplates too for mine.

Unless the below has changed from when I researched for my plates several years ago you may find it useful:-

A standard UK plate must have 73mm high font. For an import (like the DeLorean) it can be 64mm.

You're supposed to have 10mm between the font and the outside edge of the plate surround etc too.

The DVLA and or VOSA websites had details about the font etc so that it is all legal....

Best of luck
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
The below might help or give you some ideas about how you might want to personalise your car....

Front
[Image: Tour22.jpg]

Rear (plate is oversized and mounted behind the bezel with the text spaced so that it all fits within the bezel)
[Image: 20121211_141638_zps81e70708.jpg]

I wanted an American looking plate hence the date format at the top. Instead of 19 81 I chose 20 31 as the car will be fifty years old then and I hope to still own it Big Grin
Also love the time travel 'joke' by having a date from the future showing.

Many DeLoreans have 'Outatime' on and I loved the 'Flux Dispersal' reference in the first move being benefitted by the stainless steel constructon.....
The best variant I've seen to date is 'Get Fluxed' but can't recall which DeLorean that is on...

If you want the dimensions (spacing between the fonts, perimeter) I could dig them out and scan them in for you if you like as I think I know where they are...
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
'Get Fluxed' was on Robin's car, me and him and a long conversation about
slogans a few years ago, and when I said 'Get Fluxed' he laughed and said he'd use
that.

Robin's car is now in Germany IIRC, so it'll be on different plates now.
4708 has what I feel, is the best solution for the front number plate Wink

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
It must have fallen off, Ofificer 'honest' :oops:

CXhris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
thats a stunning photo Mike, worthy of the next Club Calendar - can you email it to me?

treasurer@deloreans.co.uk

Cheers Smile
Chris Williams Wrote:It must have fallen off, Ofificer 'honest' :oops:

CXhris
Absolutely Chris - although I do keep it on the binnacle, just in case Wink

Guinney1971 Wrote:thats a stunning photo Mike, worthy of the next Club Calendar - can you email it to me?

treasurer@deloreans.co.uk

Cheers Smile
Sure Claire, no problem, I'll dig out the high res copy and send it over.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
I have obtained a motorised retractable front number plate mount. Will be interesting to see how we can fit this to the car; Chris is custom-making a stainless rock screen already so might be able to leave a slot and cram it into the radiator air tunnel.
cheers guys. All very useful stuff. I ended up going for a plain plate on the back, with the dimensions of 302mm X152mm. Reduced the height of the lettering bu 8mm, which should still be legal as well. I'm going to go for the same size plate on the front but make a bracket which mounts either below or above the rock screen.

All ordered and should be here soon. Mind you the bumper, rock screen and all four wheels are off while I sort out the damage to the bumper caused on the crossing over to the UK and some frame rust repairs.
Mark Sutton

Importing VIN #10719.

http://www.delorean-dream.blogspot.co.uk
For pre 2001 cars, the number plate does not need to confirm to BSAU 145d. From Pistonheads:

* The characters and background colour comply with regulations
* The character font is an a correct type
* The characters are the correct size as is the size of the margin
* The plates are fitted vertically :?:
* The non-reflective border is within the permitted width
* Finally an unacceptable symbol or flag, such as football team crests or logo, is not displayed.

I've been having rear plates made with shrunken fonts for years. You can't stick to all the rules - letter height and correct spacing and borders simply don't fit even with a motorbike font (unless you have a funky number!). My take on it is that I've never been trying to do something "clever" with the number, just make it fit the provided hole. it looks a lot better too than with the bezel overlapping the lettering.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk