Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 10719 passes MOT.....but another oil leak..
Finally 10719 passed the MOT on Thursday. No real problems other than need to replace the bulb for the full beam warning light and the driver side track end on the steering could do with attention. Registered the same day (after three hours...dont ask) with the DVLA, so should have plates etc soon.

One problem is that when it was up on the ramp it revealed loads of gunk and oil around the end of the trans and clutch area, along with quite a bit of peeling epoxy. The whole frame is covered in the awful black tar stuff, which makes i hard to see whats going on. Yesterday I cleaned most of it off the rear end, and will finish today hopefully. A really grim job. Loads of gunk-off, white spirit and soap and its coming off. So much for the previous owner telling me it was "rhino" spray paint. Rubbish! Worried that the epoxy has peel off in places, but the steel underneath seems in good nick, so plenty of POR-15 should be ok won't it?

The leak looks like its the rear seal on the clutch. maybe need to change out the clutch seal/plate etc. eek! Sad

One area of particular concern is on the passenger side, where the lower control bar goes into the frame. The epoxy has come away on the inside and outside. Should I remove the bar, prep and repaint?
Mark Sutton

Importing VIN #10719.

http://www.delorean-dream.blogspot.co.uk
Quote:The leak looks like its the rear seal on the clutch. maybe need to change out the clutch seal/plate etc. eek!
Do you mean the area around the bell housing?? probably the rear crank seal leaking.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi Mark,

sounds like a rear crankseal alright. Make sure the new seal you fit has ribs on the outer edge of the seal or put another way the area in contact with the crank case. also no additives or quick fixes will stop a crank leak. The smooth outer edge seals come with a guarantee to leak.

If the apoxy & chassis is ok under rhino sealant Id leave well enough alone. Your only bringing hardship and worry on yourself.
regarding flaking epoxy areas & exposed chassis ....remove any components , clean all the flaking epoxy and so called rhino paint off. wash the area well with petrol, cut a straight line in the poxy to represent the epoxy & the area your treating. Important get a hair dryer & dry the entire area well. although you have no corrosion I would still use a good rust eater/primer , once cured then go for shultz chassis spray or dinitrol, I normally use shultz on any vehicle Im working on. Once you get an even spray on , leave to dry for 24hrs. Then spray paint over with chassis paint so the job blends with the existing chassis epoxy colour.
It will look well and flawless and stand the test of time.

Best of luck
Dave