Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biting the bullet
After much deliberation I have decided to bite the bullet and place an order with PJ Grady’s for a 1981, black interior, manual DeLorean!! :lol:
The delivery date is not till June; which it means March/April/May is going to be sooooo looooonnnnnngggg

I have read a lot of the posts on this forum and it has been a great source of information. If there are any other tips or advice you might have for a new owner I’d love to hear it.

Thanks

Richard H.
Richard Hynes
Mem No: 568
Vin: 2633

[Image: Calavera121.png]
Excellent news ! Big Grin

Where would we start????

Enjoy driving it! Just remember it is a 20+ year old car.

If it is a left hand drive double check over your right hand shoulder before moving out due to other drivers taking pictures.
Get used to peope taking pictures of your car
Get used to people asking you questions at the petrol station !

You will ALWAYS get some people thinking they are so original and so witty by asking you where the flux capacitor is etc etc etc.

NickT.
Very true about looking over your shoulder. People LOVE sitting in the blind spot for ages, staring at the car.

Have fun!
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
Yes indeed, I haven't even got it yet and already I have had half a dozen "flux capacitor” remarks.
I think that film is both a blessing and a curse. The car is a beautiful piece of a work in and as of itself, but given the disappointing launch it may well have faded out of sight without the exposure given to it by the movie. Although I feel the reverse is also true. The car and its iconic design doesn’t actually need a lot of work to make it look like a “time machine”. The film may not have gone over as well if they had used a Reliant Robin.

Richard H.
Richard Hynes

Nice one mate, Ive had mine little more than a month - truly the best thing ive ever owned and its my first car! WHOO! Good luck with it. I wasnt aware you could order cars from pj grady to be honest. How does it work? They restore then sell on or what?
This will be my first car as well, I remember an article somewhere that this car will only get more popular over the next few years as the children of the eighties (of which I am one) are now old enough to buy the cars that were in the popular culture of that time. This car and many others would have adorned the bedroom wall of a few people here I would imagine.

PJ Grady’s have been great, really helpful and a fountain of information. I believe their process is to hold project cars in New York and to ship them here to order. Then they will bring them up to spec including any extra requirements you might have.

@dmcscott2002
Seeing as this was your first car, did you have much general driving experience before you bought it?

Richard H.
Richard Hynes

Calavera Wrote:After much deliberation I have decided to bite the bullet and place an order with PJ Grady’s for a 1981, black interior, manual DeLorean!! :lol:
The delivery date is not till June; which it means March/April/May is going to be sooooo looooonnnnnngggg

I have read a lot of the posts on this forum and it has been a great source of information. If there are any other tips or advice you might have for a new owner I’d love to hear it.

Thanks

Richard H.

Awesome stuff mate! How old are you just out of interest, and if it isnt a rude question lol!
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
I am 25, but by the time I receive the car I’ll be 26 give or take a week and we will also share the same “birth” year. Coincidence? Fate? Planed?
A little bit of each I think (but a bit more of the last one :wink: ).
Richard Hynes

Wicked! Im 22 so a few more years to go! Why wasn't I born earlier haha!!
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
It is my first car and will be my only car so I suppose it qualifies as my daily drive but it won’t be used that way. I work in London and use the tube to get to work. The journey only takes about 25-30, if I were to drive I might shave 5 minutes of that but I would run into congestion charging and wouldn’t be able to have a few pints after work on random unplanned (far to frequent) nights.
It will be more used for: once / twice a week “down to the shops” trips, once a month for medium trips exploring outside of London and once / twice a year for long journeys to Ireland or the continent.

Btw, nice myth busters quote in your sig, It’s a good show.

Richard H.
Richard Hynes

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the club. Have you researched your insurance yet? I have had my car over 5 years and last month made it my only vehicle. Adrian Flux was the most competitive company by far. Raise the excess to the max and add your partner (by doing these two things brought my premium down £140 to £494 (unlimited miles too)). You are in London and a few years younger than me so it will still be higher but hopefully as you are over 25 (just) it will be affordable...
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Calavera Wrote:The delivery date is not till June; which it means March/April/May is going to be sooooo looooonnnnnngggg

Here is a great way to make time fly Smile

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/join/join.html

Look forward to seing some pics of your car ' in the future' Smile
I haven't got an insurance quote yet; they have been busy when I called and their sister companies don't deal with insurance quotes that are more than 30 days in advance.

I'll be absolutely joining the owners club but I'm moving apartment this week so I'm between addresses and a have a million things to organise. Next week when the dust settles I'll be signing up.

I have asked the guys at PJ Grady's to take photos of their progress over the coming months so I'll post the time line of pictures when I get the car. I'm looking forward to seeing them myself!

Richard H.
Richard Hynes

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=287

might help when the time comes.
Calavera Wrote:I haven't got an insurance quote yet; they have been busy when I called and their sister companies don't deal with insurance quotes that are more than 30 days in advance.

I'll be absolutely joining the owners club but I'm moving apartment this week so I'm between addresses and a have a million things to organise. Next week when the dust settles I'll be signing up.

I have asked the guys at PJ Grady's to take photos of their progress over the coming months so I'll post the time line of pictures when I get the car. I'm looking forward to seeing them myself!

Richard H.

Hey mate. Well done on purchase.

I am also 25 and live (E14) and work (WC2) in Central London and also share my birth year with my car! It is also my only car.

Try sureterm.co.uk (.com?)

They brokered my insurance and were very competitive. They also are knowledgable about the car which is good.
Its been emotional...